Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 10:43 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,218,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Again, does anyone know the difference between skim and 1%? Nutritionist claim a difference and I've read conflicting information.

Not one of you answered my question but proceeded to tell me I should drink full fat milk.
I mentioned some of the differences in my post. The nutritional differences revolve around the presence of fat in 1% versus skim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The presence of fat lowers the glycemic index as skim milk is basically just sugar water. The fat content also facilitiates the uptake of the vitamins and minerals in your diet. Furthermore, the calorie difference between skim and 1% milk is bordeline negligible.

Old 12-21-2016, 10:45 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,512,033 times
Quote:
I put grass fed butter in my coffee in the morning thanks.

Guys, I like the taste of less fat milk.

I asked a question specifically about skim and 1% NOT if I should be drinking full fat milk.

I eat a lot of cheese thanks and get my dairy fat from that and butter.

I do not care for full fat milk.

Again, does anyone know the difference between skim and 1%? Nutritionist claim a difference and I've read conflicting information.

Not one of you answered my question but proceeded to tell me I should drink full fat milk.

Ok fine.

Try water. It tastes the same as skim.

Old 12-21-2016, 11:09 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,870,335 times
From The difference between 1% and 2% milk - Business Insider

"1% milk exists because of consumer taste, not nutrition.

Skim and 2% were already on the market, but finicky and demanding consumers still wanted that rich, rich fatty milk mouthfeel, without the calories. There are absolutely no specific health benefits that happen at the sweet spot between skim and 2%. Milk companies complied. "

Old 12-21-2016, 11:31 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,672,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
We use 2%, I think 1% tastes too watery.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 12-21-2016, 11:37 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,585,490 times
What does butter in your coffee taste like. I saw someone doing it on TV. Does it make coffee taste better?

Old 12-21-2016, 11:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,024,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I mentioned some of the differences in my post. The nutritional differences revolve around the presence of fat in 1% versus skim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
From The difference between 1% and 2% milk - Business Insider

"1% milk exists because of consumer taste, not nutrition.

Skim and 2% were already on the market, but finicky and demanding consumers still wanted that rich, rich fatty milk mouthfeel, without the calories. There are absolutely no specific health benefits that happen at the sweet spot between skim and 2%. Milk companies complied. "
Thank you both ABQConvict and newtovenice! Exactly what I was looking for.

I am a runner and chocolate milk made with skim organic is my go to recovery drink of choice. Someone said that you don't absorb any of the vitamins with zero fat as opposed to 1%. If the benefits are negligible, I'll stay with skim because I like the taste.

https://runnersconnect.net/running-n...after-running/

Old 12-21-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
What does butter in your coffee taste like. I saw someone doing it on TV. Does it make coffee taste better?
Actually, yes it does. It makes it taste much richer. My husband actually got me hooked on it.

You have to use grass fed butter and organic coffee to get the health benefits. We also use an immersion blender to mix it well.

Melt about half a tablespoon of butter in the microwave then add coffee and mix well with the immersion blender.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:07 PM

14,215 posts, read 11,504,725 times
Quote:
I am a runner and chocolate milk made with skim organic is my go to recovery drink of choice. Someone said that you don't absorb any of the vitamins with zero fat as opposed to 1%. If the benefits are negligible, I'll stay with skim because I like the taste.
This is correct. Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble and need to be taken with some fat in order to be absorbed. In other words, vitamin-D-fortified skim milk on its own is absolutely useless.

As long as you are getting your vitamins and healthy fats at some other time of the day, you won't be malnourished. I do question the wisdom of a "recovery drink" which has lots of sugar but no fat to lower the glycemic index.

Old 12-21-2016, 12:33 PM

61,286 posts, read 86,187,392 times
Facts about skim milk - in short:
skim milk is a highly processed, “altered” food,
it contains simple processed white sugar,
it’s basically like drinking sugar water,
skim milk is totally devoid of nutritional value,
industry often adds skim milk powder to skim milk,
lowfat does NOT mean healthier
5 Reasons to Skip the Skim Milk

You'll consume 14 more calories per cup if you choose 1 percent milk over skim milk,
The nutrient content of skim and 1 percent milk is almost identical,
All milk sold in the United States is fortified with vitamin D and often also with vitamin A,
Along with cereal, snacks such as crackers, cookies, pudding, milk, and juices are fortified with synthetic vitamins.
Isolated, synthetic vitamins can disrupt proper absorption of nutrients
Food producers often fortify foods with large amounts of vitamins and minerals to make their products appear more nutritious so they will sell better...

need more facts?

Old 12-21-2016, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This is correct. Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble and need to be taken with some fat in order to be absorbed. In other words, vitamin-D-fortified skim milk on its own is absolutely useless.

Thank you for that. This is exactly why I was thinking about switching to 1% instead of the skim.

Again, I am not asking anyone about the wisdom of drinking chocolate milk as my recovery drink. I don't need any input on that.

I've been a runner since 2000, I've run 23 marathons and hundreds of smaller races and it has always been my recovery drink of choice. I'm both an AFAA certified trainer and aerobics instructor as well as a STOTT Pilates instructor since the mid 1990s.

At 51 years old, 5'8 and 155 pounds, I'm doing something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink