Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 04:06 PM

5,109 posts, read 3,363,607 times

Advertisements

We've been drinking 1% for more than 20 years. Whole milk tastes too heavy to me for drinking.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:45 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,750,605 times
I used to drink half and half.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:48 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,241,735 times
1 percent

Old 12-21-2016, 05:35 PM

19,954 posts, read 29,993,449 times
I drink organic milk only.... no chemicals no percentages...no skim...I go right for the udder!!

its udderly delicious!!

Old 12-21-2016, 05:47 PM

49,970 posts, read 63,277,013 times
It depends upon whether or not you are carb conscious. The higher the fat, the lower the carbs.
When I am eating hard core low carb, I probably don't drink milk at all, since I can't eat cereal, or cookies or whatever.
My preference is 1%, because otherwise, milk seems too thick for me.

Old 12-21-2016, 06:00 PM

61,061 posts, read 85,858,261 times
You can compare all here:
Nutrient Content of Milk Varieties | MilkFacts.info

Old 12-21-2016, 06:38 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,489,434 times
Skim milk is not made with added sugar. Milk itself, a carb, converts to sugars in the body, like other carbs. Having fiber or fat with that would slow down the conversion process (the glycemic reaction).

How is Skim Milk Made? The quicker, modernized way of making low-fat and skim milks is to place the whole milk into a machine called a centrifugal separator, which spins some or all of the fat globules out of the milk. This occurs before the milk is homogenized, a process which reduces all the milk particles to the same size so that natural separation doesn't occur anymore.

What is added to skim milk? Federal law mandates that most skim milk has to be fortified with vitamin A and sometimes vitamin D. This is due to the fact that even though whole milk naturally has a fair amount of both, the vitamins are fat soluble and thus lost when the milk fat is removed during the skimming process.

Milk solids in the form of dried milk are also added since they contain proteins that help thicken the watery consistency of skim milk.

I've been drinking skim milk for decades. I like it. But I also like 1% milk and don't notice much of a difference in taste or consistency.

I think it's more important to avoid milk from cows who have been given hormones or antibiotics, no matter the fat content.

When a person can't consume many calories, anything with more calories has an effect eventually. But if a person doesn't drink much milk, it probably doesn't make THAT much difference.

Skim milk 80-90 cals/cup
1% LF 110 cals
2% (reduced fat) 130 cals
Whole 150 cals/cup

Old 12-21-2016, 06:40 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,374,085 times
Whole milk or why bother!

Old 12-21-2016, 07:53 PM

36,960 posts, read 40,898,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Facts about skim milk - in short:
skim milk is a highly processed, “altered” food,
it contains simple processed white sugar,
it’s basically like drinking sugar water,
skim milk is totally devoid of nutritional value,
industry often adds skim milk powder to skim milk,
lowfat does NOT mean healthier
5 Reasons to Skip the Skim Milk

You'll consume 14 more calories per cup if you choose 1 percent milk over skim milk,
The nutrient content of skim and 1 percent milk is almost identical,
All milk sold in the United States is fortified with vitamin D and often also with vitamin A,
Along with cereal, snacks such as crackers, cookies, pudding, milk, and juices are fortified with synthetic vitamins.
Isolated, synthetic vitamins can disrupt proper absorption of nutrients
Food producers often fortify foods with large amounts of vitamins and minerals to make their products appear more nutritious so they will sell better...

need more facts?
The only "processing" skim milk undergoes that is different from whole milk is centrifugation to remove the fat.

The nutrients in skim milk are the same as other forms of fluid milk apart from the removal of the fat and fat soluble vitamins. The carbohydrate is lactose, not "simple processed white sugar", and that is true of all fluid milk, regardless of fat content.

Skim milk contains protein (over 8 grams per cup), vitamins, and minerals. Vitamin A and vitamin D are removed from skim milk when the fat is taken out and are then added back. The B vitamins are present in skim milk at close to the same levels as in whole milk. In particular, skim milk contains significant amounts of calcium, phosphorus, riboflavin, and vitamin B12. It is not true to claim skim milk is just "sugar water" with no nutrition.

https://authoritynutrition.com/foods/milk/

"Synthetic" vitamins are exactly the same as vitamins found in food. Your body cannot tell where vitamins come from. Since so many foods are fortified with extra vitamins and minerals most of us do not need to consume supplements.

Even skim milk may contain a small amount of fat, If you consume it with other foods containing a little fat you should absorb the vitamins A and D just fine. Even cereals contain some fat. Plain old Cheerios, for example, contain about 2 grams per cup.

This study showed that all that was needed for adequate vitamin A absorption was 2.4 grams of fat per meal.

Carotene-rich plant foods ingested with minimal dietary fat enhance the total-body vitamin A pool size in Filipino schoolchildren as assessed by stable-isotope-dilution methodology

By the way, I would be leery of any "doctor" who is selling "cleanses" and supplements, as Lipman does.

Old 12-21-2016, 08:39 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,665,944 times
Neither we drink almond milk, but I do by whole mile for cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink