Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:36 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,146,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
weezy, tell us which set you like so we can enjoy it too!

I just enjoy looking at flatware and china. Is that weird?
Not at all...I scan through Replacements and try to find the dishes they used indifferent tv shows...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 PM

37,058 posts, read 42,023,443 times
"I just enjoy looking at flatware and china. Is that weird?"

Haha! It's interesting to me and when I'm in the market for something I usually become a bit obsessed for awhile and study up on all sorts of things that most people don't even think about. The only time it's "weird" is when something sticks with me long term and I know, off the top of my head, what that flatware pattern is or the exact composition of a particular mattress...then people look at me like I'm a witch.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:24 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,544,979 times
I looked the Ricci Amalfi pattern up. Very pretty. Oh, it comes in copper, too. Really pretty! And expensive. Oh, it comes in gold plate, too! Wowza!

Old 12-30-2016, 09:15 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,766,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"I just enjoy looking at flatware and china. Is that weird?"

Haha! It's interesting to me and when I'm in the market for something I usually become a bit obsessed for awhile and study up on all sorts of things that most people don't even think about. The only time it's "weird" is when something sticks with me long term and I know, off the top of my head, what that flatware pattern is or the exact composition of a particular mattress...then people look at me like I'm a witch.
Me too, you're not alone..

Old 12-31-2016, 05:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,223,186 times
We were at the el-cheapo store, looking for a quick set of flatwear. We figured something substantial so we chose the heavier set, thinking we were getting a better set. The handles are so heavy the spoons will fall out of the bowls! I'm about to pack these up for Goodwill.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:27 AM

5,111 posts, read 3,377,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not at all...I scan through Replacements and try to find the dishes they used indifferent tv shows...
I've never done this, but can see myself doing it.

This is a good thread. I like the Gorham stainless we got when we were first married but the pistol handles are a pain for everyday, so we've been using a cheaper set for years. We really need to get something with a better weight.

Old 12-31-2016, 12:50 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,544,979 times
Does everyone actually hand wash the ones you're supposed to hand wash? Or do you just say heck with it and put it in the dishwasher?

I only recently have had a dishwasher, and I don't have anything fancy, yet. But I remember as a kid we would go ahead and throw the silver (actual silver, not stainless or plate) in the dishwasher and I don't remember it really hurting the silverware.

Old 12-31-2016, 01:01 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,842,215 times
Quote:
Does everyone actually hand wash the ones you're supposed to hand wash? Or do you just say heck with it and put it in the dishwasher?

I only recently have had a dishwasher, and I don't have anything fancy, yet. But I remember as a kid we would go ahead and throw the silver (actual silver, not stainless or plate) in the dishwasher and I don't remember it really hurting the silverware.
For the sake of your stainless, don't mix stainless and silver in the dishwasher. Not sure if this extends to soaking silver and stainless together before you wash it or not.

Martha explains it:
Quote:
Never allow stainless steel to touch silver -- this will cause an electrolytic reaction that will spot and pit the stainless steel. Since most silver-handled knives have stainless blades, don't wash them in the dishwasher.

Old 01-02-2017, 05:06 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,766,193 times
Quote:

My mother-in-law washes her sterling in the dishwasher. It doesn't hurt it and never needs polishing.

I admire her for not hiding it away. So many people that have sterling only use it on special occasions.

Because of her beautiful festive table settings, she bestowed upon me an appreciation for formality and tradition. The food just seems to taste better when the table is set properly.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,427,748 times
I'm bumping this old thread.

Does anyone have an recent experience with Oneida flatware? I'm looking for a reasonable heavy, simple pattern service for 4. Preferably inexpensive. Any recommendations?

Also, anyone have any experience with the flatware sold on QVC or HSN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink