Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 04:58 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,216,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
You're paying for it whether it's itemized or not; it's a business expense.
I understand business expense and would like to see small business make a profit and stay in business. Include the expense in the posted price. I might not even notice a small increase in price on the menu but I sure would notice and be upset by extra charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 05:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
If you charge me extra for ANYTHING related to a take out order, I am going to walk out and leave you holding the bag. Literally. Not for containers, foil, or tips. The fact that I'm taking it out means you are spending fewer time and resources on me than on your sit-down diners. I'm not going to save you money and then pay extra on top of things.
In catching up on this discussion I was going to mention exactly what you stated above.

In any but fast food places there is labor involved in serving dine-in customers.

1.) Removing dishes, plates, flatware, napkins, and all the clutter the previous customer left behind.
2.) Changing the table cloth, most restaurants I enjoy have been called "casual" by others in this discussion, but most of the restaurants I dine in have table cloths. Replace it with a new one and re-organize the condiments, set out place settings including plates and flatware. WASH THE OLD TABLE CLOTH!
3.) Seat you. Note that during busy hours restaurant may not have sufficient seating causing a wait list. Note that there is never a problem with pick-up food, it's almost 100% kitchen labor.
4.) Cost of service labor. Most restaurants pay hourly plus tips to waiters. If you are a deadbeat and don't leave a tip the restaurant still has to pay waiting staff.
5.) Finally, I've never heard of a restaurant that wouldn't let you "doggie bag" your uneaten portions. Same packaging costs as take-out, same containers.

It appears to me that there are two contrary factors working here:

1.) It actually is cheaper to sell take-out food, it places less of a burden on restaurant facilities (mainly the kitchen), and leaves free table space to reduce waiting dine-in customer lists, and uses no more packaging than a dine-in customer asking for a doggie bag.

2.) Against that, alcohol sales is a major profit center for most restaurants, and take-out customers do not buy liquor, providing their own at home.

I have not seen this practice in the Pacific or Southwest states, but if I see it I'm walking, and getting my food somewhere else. And also they have lost not only a take-out customer but a dine-in customer too.

Would somebody name some national chains that are not "casual" eating? Also, I live in the West. We Westerners are known for being more laid back and casual than other parts of the nation.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:23 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
...Would somebody name some national chains that are not "casual" eating?...
When I eat at an "upscale" restaurant it's typically a chef-owned restaurant. However, since you are fixated on this upscale vs casual dining distinction...

Ruth's Chris Steak House
The Capital Grille
Texas de Brazil
Fleming's Prime Steakhouse
Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House

Old 01-13-2017, 05:27 PM

266 posts, read 259,441 times
Quote:
Would somebody name some national chains that are not "casual" eating?

Ruth Chris.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
...It actually is cheaper to sell take-out food, it places less of a burden on restaurant facilities (mainly the kitchen)...
Actually, it takes more effort to prepare a takeout meal than it does to prepare a dine-in meal. The takeout prep table adds another step in the food preparation process and isn't done on the same prep line.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:29 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,012,915 times
Quote:
I have not seen this practice in the Pacific or Southwest states, but if I see it I'm walking, and getting my food somewhere else. And also they have lost not only a take-out customer but a dine-in customer too.
The only time I've seen it personally was at a mediocre-at-best Italian restaurant in the Lake Tahoe area. We ordered a couple of pizzas and salads- the bill came to about 70 bucks or so, and they tacked on 5 bucks in a "take out" charge. Yeah, we're already (over)paying 28 bucks for a pizza, and you have the nerve to charge us extra to take it out?

That was the last time we patronized that establishment.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbwpi View Post
Ruth Chris.
Please, somebody, treat me to dinner there. I'm familiar with their reputation (we have local) but they are out of my budget range.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
To me, "upscale" implies gentlemen wear coats and ties and ladies wear dressy clothes. Reservations may be required. Quiet atmosphere. Menu is focused on a real dinner. Prices are typically higher, $50 and up. More extensive beverage list. Service is professional. Wait staff wear uniforms, if only dark trousers or skirts with white shirt or blouse.

If there are televisions in the dining room, it's not "upscale"!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:33 PM

Sorry to say, I can't afford your definition of "upscale."

Heh, if I see TV sets except in the bar I'm gone!

Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If there are televisions in the dining room, it's not "upscale"!
There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink