Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 12:45 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,270,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartygurl View Post
I recently ordered a sub from Jimmy Johns to be delivered to my work. There was a $1 delivery fee which I was OK with. I also tipped the person who brought it $1. Not sure if that was appropriate in that situation. She seemed surprised.
That I have no problem with. I have been retired for years and clear back then there was a delivery fee. I don't remember if we tipped as well. I do tip when we have home delivery but it rare we have food delivered to the house; maybe once a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 PM

4,903 posts, read 4,191,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
That I have no problem with. I have been retired for years and clear back then there was a delivery fee. I don't remember if we tipped as well. I do tip when we have home delivery but it rare we have food delivered to the house; maybe once a year.
I am a fairly decent tipper. However if there is a delivery fee I do not tip on top of that.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,982,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As for why they don't raise costs across the board, it's a business decision. They no doubt view this as more fair, since it's not a customer cost for all customers. All customers use the premises, the dishwasher, the waiters, the staffers, the janitor, the food, the waste, etc. But only a small percentage use special disposable food containers. They are not cheap.
That's giving these restaurant owners a lot of benefit of the doubt.

I may be jaded, but my first thought as to this extra charge is not to conclude that the restaurant is trying to be "more fair".

Old 01-13-2017, 01:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,765,263 times
If you charge me extra for ANYTHING related to a take out order, I am going to walk out and leave you holding the bag. Literally. Not for containers, foil, or tips. The fact that I'm taking it out means you are spending fewer time and resources on me than on your sit-down diners. I'm not going to save you money and then pay extra on top of things.

I've never had this happen, but if it WERE to happen to me, I'd permanently cross that establishment off my list of places I'll eat at. Ditto if you try to add an automatic tip to my bill. I won't pay it. Doing that is a sure way to get your waiter stiffed, and to permanently lose me as a customer.

Also taking my cash and claiming NOT to have change. Legally, if that is true, you are required to round the bill DOWN, not up. And I have had that happen to me just once, and I will never eat there again.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:42 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,765,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
I am a fairly decent tipper. However if there is a delivery fee I do not tip on top of that.
I do. The restaurant, not the delivery person, gets that fee. A lot of the restaurants make the delivery person use their own car and won't pay for mileage either. So I definitely tip the delivery guy.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:22 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,117,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
She was surprised you only tipped a buck, that's being cheap and quite frankly you should abstain from getting food delivered. That's just my two cents in the matter..
ROFL The sandwich order was only $5. How much should I have tipped her then???? A $1 tip of $5 is exactly 20 percent.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:43 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,842,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Delivery fees never go to the person who does the delivering. They should probably call it an ordering fee.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:09 PM

36,976 posts, read 40,989,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
As for why they don't raise costs across the board, it's a business decision. They no doubt view this as more fair, since it's not a customer cost for all customers. All customers use the premises, the dishwasher, the waiters, the staffers, the janitor, the food, the waste, etc. But only a small percentage use special disposable food containers. They are not cheap.
Just include the fee in the takeout menu food cost. Since it will be added to every order, just make it all one price. As you can see here, the majority feel put off by the nickle and dime approach. Why alienate customers?

If the order contains multiple items in different disposable containers is there a charge for each separate box?

For dine in customers will there be a charge for a box for leftovers? Those of us who often get a go box should bring our own Tupperware?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Just include the fee in the takeout menu food cost...
That reminds me. A lot of restaurants have a "Takeout Menu," where the prices are actually higher than the dine-in menu.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,783,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
If you charge me extra for ANYTHING related to a take out order, I am going to walk out and leave you holding the bag...
You're paying for it whether it's itemized or not; it's a business expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink