Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 08:19 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times

Advertisements

Recently when picking up take out food orders I was charged a fee, supposedly to cover the cost of packaging supplies. In one case it was 50 cents to cover the cost of a small sheet of aluminum foil and a small paper bag for a burrito. Another time it was 75 cents for a pizza box. In both instances the fee was not made known to me when the order was placed.

Most restaurants, other than upscale ones, generate a substantial portion of their revenue from offsite consumption (take out and delivery). My thought is that the additional cost of packaging supplies is more than offset by savings in additional rent for additional floor space that would be needed to generate additional revenue from onsite consumption that would be needed to compensate for offsite revenue if it was not available.

My thought this is just another tactic to squeeze more money out of the consumer, similar to hotel resort fees, airline fees, etc. Anyone in the industry care to comment?

Last edited by rbwpi; 01-11-2017 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
I'm not in the industry, I've never been charged a "takeout fee," but I've just got to say: OMG, that's ridiculous!!!

You're absolutely right that there's plenty to offset these small costs, and that would have cost them plenty more: dish washing, napkins, waitstaff, etc.

Greedy.

I'd use their bathroom just so I could use their toilet paper for free!

Old 01-11-2017, 08:33 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Many places charge extra for containers to go.
Charging for a foil to wrap burrito seems quite extreme, and I never experienced that. Such small extras should be calculated in price.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:43 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
Ridiculous. I've never seen that in the Southwest.

Demonstrate your displeasure by using your feet. Refuse to pay the fee and walk out.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:48 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Never seen that.

Some places have different tax rates pending on whether food is eaten in or carried out.. And Waffle House has a policy of adding 10% (I think) to all to-go orders for a tip, which I totally disagree with as well.. But I've never seen someone charging a packaging fee.

Old 01-11-2017, 08:54 PM

265 posts, read 258,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Demonstrate your displeasure by using your feet.

I did. Made my displeasure known to the manager of the Mexican restaurant. Advised him that my visit was the first, last and only one. Also posted a review on yelp.com about their business practice.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,109,373 times
I hope you used an appropriate hand gesture too!

BTW somebody please tell Chili's Grill & Bar to wrap take-out hamburgers and fries in paper, not aluminum foil. Jeez, you would think an upscale restaurant would know what MacDonalds etc. knows, wrap them in paper not aluminum foil or you end up with a wet hamburger and limp fries by the time you get home. -- I haven't gotten take out from them in a few years. Maybe they figured it out by now.

BTW I often buy takeout from upscale restaurants. All of them have accommodated my requests and the food has been great! -- I'm just not into MacDonalds or Jack/Box.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:22 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Ha, when I lived in Memphis most of the fast food places had a take out tax and a dine in tax, they got you coming or going.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I hope you used an appropriate hand gesture too!

BTW somebody please tell Chili's Grill & Bar to wrap take-out hamburgers and fries in paper, not aluminum foil. Jeez, you would think an upscale restaurant would know what MacDonalds etc. knows, wrap them in paper not aluminum foil or you end up with a wet hamburger and limp fries by the time you get home. -- I haven't gotten take out from them in a few years. Maybe they figured it out by now.

BTW I often buy takeout from upscale restaurants. All of them have accommodated my requests and the food has been great! -- I'm just not into MacDonalds or Jack/Box.
Chili's is an "upscale restaurant?"

Old 01-11-2017, 10:36 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Start your own restaurant and see how much those take out containers cut into your profit margin then complain....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink