Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 07:19 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

She probably wouldn't eat my breakfast of Weetabix with warm milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2017, 07:29 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
OP, Google is your friend. Google gluten-free dairy free entrées and you will find many selections. It is not that hard but many of the suggestions here have been way off.

Only some corn tortillas are gluten-free many are half on and half wait. And gluten is so much more than just wheat.
Don't know where you're from, but here (Texas), corn tortillas that you would buy in the grocery store contain corn, flour tortillas contain flour, and while there ARE tortillas that contain both, they are clearly labeled as such, are hard to find, and cost more because they're a specialty item.

In fact, I haven't been able to find them up here in the Austin area, though they are available at HEB in San Antonio (more's the pity, they're tasty!).

Old 01-18-2017, 08:39 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
Another clarification, which is kinda important- gluten intolerance is different from an allergy, which is potentially, immediately life threatening.

I think most people (like me) would assume that a person was not allergic if they just said they were gluten intolerant.

(Also when I say things like "corn tortilla" I mean you should read the ingredients and notice if it says things like "wheat and corn " or just corn, the ones I buy have three ingredients- corn, salt, lime).
She didn't say whether she was gluten allergic or intolerant; however, she is very social, attends many cocktail parties, and eats in restaurants regularly. I'm betting intolerant, or maybe she's one of those who believes this will help her lose weight.

Dirt Grinder, I get your point, but asked the question, so I deserve the result. But if someone is truly allergic (celiac disease), they are going to be super careful. Or only eat their own cooking.

I'll end up with something straight forward. Meat, veggies, salad, potatoes. Maybe two veggies. Horse duerves- she can skip the cheese and crackers and eat the prosciutto and salami.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:42 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I make an Ina Garten recipe that seems a bit fancy, but is easy and can be prepared ahead, then popped into the oven before dinner.

Boneless, skin on chicken breasts with herbed goat cheese and sundried tomatoes. Use about 2 oz herbed goat cheese and a few strips of sundried tomatoes in olive oil for each, and place them under the skin of the chicken. Ina puts a basil leaf under there too. Salt and pepper the chicken and drizzle the top with the olive oil from the tomatoes. Bake until golden and cooked through...about 45 mins @ 375-400.

Chicken with Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

Rice and a veg goes well with it.
THAT actually sounds quite good! I'll try it out in the next week or so. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:29 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
She didn't say whether she was gluten allergic or intolerant; however, she is very social, attends many cocktail parties, and eats in restaurants regularly. I'm betting intolerant, or maybe she's one of those who believes this will help her lose weight.

Dirt Grinder, I get your point, but asked the question, so I deserve the result. But if someone is truly allergic (celiac disease), they are going to be super careful. Or only eat their own cooking.

I'll end up with something straight forward. Meat, veggies, salad, potatoes. Maybe two veggies. Horse duerves- she can skip the cheese and crackers and eat the prosciutto and salami.
That's an adventurous menu. Or perhaps adventitious.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:32 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Except for the cost of those eight little suckers, THAT sounded damn good. . . Still might pop for it.

I might just go for three roast chickens, fresh veggies and roasted potatoes. Or maybe roast pork.

I'd like to find something a little upscale (so no chili) that doesn't require me to be in the kitchen (so no fried fish). And I agree about not buying a bunch of ingrediants I'll never use again.

Making this even more challenging is that this particular guest is not someone we know well. At all. She's part of a group of people we do know well, and we're trying to include her (as well as get to know her better).
I would look at some rice dishes. Rice is gluten free.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:43 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Spaghetti with gluten free noodles. Hold the cheese for her. :-) Side salad. Dessert. Done.
This is good, but I'd do spaghetti squash or zoodles instead of pasta.

Old 01-18-2017, 09:45 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
Pot luck. Everyone bring a dish.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:50 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Besides all the rest, maybe serve a hummus or guacamole dip so she can partake of the offerings along with everyone else. Or ask her to bring a dip that she can eat. Otherwise she's just sitting there while everyone else partakes of crackers and dip.

Also, I think you'd better confirm with her that she can eat goat cheese. I thought I could and I made yogurt with goat's milk. Thought I would die!

The chicken idea sounds good as long as she can eat the goat cheese.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:57 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Quote:
Gluten and cow dairy free. .....So I'm not making lasagne, ........
This is not terribly restrictive. Although personally, I can't cook without cheese, gluten-free is pretty easy.

You can use any meat, any veg, any fruit, most grains. You can serve rice, millet, quinoa, or potatoes. You can use cooking oil and margarine. (for meat, read labels on processed meat like sausage or lunch meat)

Probably not lasagna, because I don't know how you would make it without cheese, but it is excellent with sliced potatoes instead of noodles. There is a fresh gluten-free lasagna noodle that is excellent (if you can find it) I do my favorite lasagna with eggplant instead of noodles.

Spaghetti is really possible. Use Asian rice noodles instead of pasta and nobody who is eating it will complain. I don't think any of the other noodle substitutes are any good, but the Asian rice noodles are quite good and anyone will eat them happily. Or there are Asian noodle dishes that are delicious. Just use wheat free soy sauce.

Most Mexican recipes are gluten-free. Most Asian dished, including Thai, are gluten-free as long as you read labels on sauces. Use wheat free soy sauce and no oyster sauce. There are a lot of French dishes that are gluten-free, as long as you thicken with corn starch instead of flour.

If you are going to serve crackers, Crunch Master Multi-grain are good and so are the Milton's Gluten-free Crispy Sea Salt. Although I am not quite sure why you would serve crackers if you can't serve cheese.

You could do Paella, or a roasted herbed chicken. Any number of potato dishes. Serve a big green salad with pecans substitutes for the croutons. Might have to make your own salad dressing.

Last night we had fajitas with corn tortillas. You can offer both varieties of tortilla, just warm them and serve them separately. Night before it was nachos with home made chili. A couple of nights before that it was Korean Bolgogi beef with rice and steamed veggies. Tonight, I have leftover grilled peppers and onions so I will grill some Brats to go with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink