Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,363,100 times

Advertisements

greasy bacon cheeseburger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
A thought for all the people recommending a dinner with goat cheese. OP is having 8 guests for dinner and there are many people who can not tolerate the flavor of goat cheese. If OP makes a dinner with goat cheese to accommodate one guest, she might make the meal totally inedible to one or more of her other guests.

The best option is to make a meal that does not contain cheese. There are hundreds of thousands of recipes that do not contain cheese. Use one of those.

And this endless game hen suggestion: no, just use regular chicken, whole, cut in pieces, or just boneless breasts and boneless thighs. It's difficult to eat a game hen with dignity. They are expensive and OP has a lot of guests coming. They don't taste any different than regular chicken.

If OP wants to do something easy, a crock pot of beef bourguinon, dressed up with a can of the tiny pearl onions, or coq au vin, and served with rice, green salad, no croutons, balsamic dressing. Everything made in advance and very upscale. Thicken with corn starch instead of flour.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 AM

16,390 posts, read 12,405,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A thought for all the people recommending a dinner with goat cheese. OP is having 8 guests for dinner and there are many people who can not tolerate the flavor of goat cheese. If OP makes a dinner with goat cheese to accommodate one guest, she might make the meal totally inedible to one or more of her other guests.
The same can be said of anything. The OP wanted to make lasagna. What about the guest who hates tomatoes?

It's one thing to make accommodations for dietary restrictions. It's another to make accommodations for preferences.

But yes, I agree that there are cheeseless options, if it's really that much of a concern.

Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,234,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

The best option is to make a meal that does not contain cheese. There are hundreds of thousands of recipes that do not contain cheese. Use one of those.

And this endless game hen suggestion: no, just use regular chicken, whole, cut in pieces, or just boneless breasts and boneless thighs. It's difficult to eat a game hen with dignity. They are expensive and OP has a lot of guests coming. They don't taste any different than regular chicken.

If OP wants to do something easy, a crock pot of beef bourguinon, dressed up with a can of the tiny pearl onions, or coq au vin, and served with rice, green salad, no croutons, balsamic dressing. Everything made in advance and very upscale. Thicken with corn starch instead of flour.
Goat cheese is not just one kind. There is goat cheddar (which does not taste much different than cow cheddar,) goat gouda, etc. I think those of us were just making additional suggestions if the OP felt uncomfortable going completely dairy free.

Your meal suggestions do sound yummy!

Old 01-20-2017, 11:42 AM

19,399 posts, read 27,703,839 times
Geez, I can't believe how a simple question generates such enthusiastic sniping and sarcasm.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:08 PM

I just had a great laugh at this coincidence - I subscribe to epicurious.com and THIS just showed up in my email!

20 Gluten-Free Dinners That Do

(with the exception of #19, I wouldn't consider ANY of them!)

Old 01-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I just had a great laugh at this coincidence - I subscribe to epicurious.com and THIS just showed up in my email!

Really? A few of those made me want to lick my screen!! I might have to try #15 soon!

Old 01-20-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Really? A few of those made me want to lick my screen!! I might have to try #15 soon!
Yeah, but the lamb shanks would cost more than the aforementioned cornish game hens!

Old 01-20-2017, 04:22 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,234,028 times
Quote:

Some of those recipes look great! I enjoy spaghetti squash, so those dishes are up my alley. The lamb shanks look delish too-but that is something I regularly keep in the house, so would be easy for me.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but the lamb shanks would cost more than the aforementioned cornish game hens!
Well, it's not something you'd have every Tuesday night, but for a special meal ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink