Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 10:44 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I'm confused. The word "bread" in French is "pain."

C'est quoi "Leidenheimer"? That's a German name. C'est un nom allemand.
I agree it is a German name, maybe they came from the East of France, which borders Germany. However, the Germans also have good bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 05:06 PM

500 posts, read 319,226 times
Quote:
I'm confused. The word "bread" in French is "pain."

C'est quoi "Leidenheimer"? That's a German name. C'est un nom allemand.
There were many German immigrants to La back in the day...we are fortunate that a mighty fine German baker was among them. The family bakery began by baking heavy "german type" bread but quickly discovered there was a bigger market for their baguettes...lucky us.

There is a part of La, just a little up river from NO, that is called the "German Coast".

To this day the bakery still uses this quirky slogan "Leidenheimers...that's French for bread".

We are plenty used to things that don't make sense to outta towners, but are perfectly fine (and normal) with us.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products . I like to keep at least one loaf of bread in the house but when you go to get a slice it is really dryed out almost to the point of being stale after only a week or so in the pantry ....sad really . I can remember my grandmother getting a loaf of bread at the store and she would still have it two weeks later and not dry at all . Why is that ? have things gotten that bad ?
You can get a decent loaf of bread - but you need to stop looking at the grocery store. Find a bakery.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:13 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
There were many German immigrants to La back in the day...we are fortunate that a mighty fine German baker was among them. The family bakery began by baking heavy "german type" bread but quickly discovered there was a bigger market for their baguettes...lucky us.

There is a part of La, just a little up river from NO, that is called the "German Coast".

To this day the bakery still uses this quirky slogan "Leidenheimers...that's French for bread".

We are plenty used to things that don't make sense to outta towners, but are perfectly fine (and normal) with us.
Ohhh! It's the bakery's slogan! Hahaha! I like that -- it's clever. I live in Montreal, where French is the official language, so that tagline would never fly here. In fact, it would be deemed illegal because it's not written in French. Anyway, that's a whole political issue that makes my blood boil. I'm diggin' the nifty slogan, though.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You don't think bread will dry our after sitting around for a week?

There is a lot of really good bread out there. You have to spend about $4 or even more, a loaf to get it, but that won't sit around for weeks, either.

If you buy bread but don't use it often, put it in the freezer. One slice removed from the freezer thaws out quickly at room temperature.
This. We do it all the time. It makes those four or five dollar loaves last longer.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:10 PM

33,240 posts, read 26,455,707 times
I'm not particular I guess. As long as it's 100% whole wheat. I go through a couple of loaves of Great Value Whole Wheat bread each week. $1.79 a loaf a Walmart. Tastes good to me.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 PM

5,342 posts, read 4,430,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You can get a decent loaf of bread - but you need to stop looking at the grocery store. Find a bakery.
So very true. Many people are not aware that most grocery store breads, including the Artisan breads in the stores' bakeries, are processed breads. They are made and proofed and then frozen then sent to the stores. The stores then proof them again and bake them off. There are still tons of preservatives in the breads.

It is very rare these days, in many areas of the country, to even find stand alone, mom and pop bakeries that do not follow the same procedure. Their breads come frozen. Their doughnuts come frozen. Their cookies, pies and cakes come frozen. Oh and their icings come in 5 gallon buckets and are full of some nasty stuff.

If you want a truly fresh loaf, that was hand made in house from start to finish you have to ask.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do NOT reply to moderator posts that are in RED.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Ohhh! It's the bakery's slogan! Hahaha! I like that -- it's clever. I live in Montreal, where French is the official language, so that tagline would never fly here. In fact, it would be deemed illegal because it's not written in French. Anyway, that's a whole political issue that makes my blood boil. I'm diggin' the nifty slogan, though.

I do not know which is worse - the Scwartz sign in french or all of the Chinese restaurants with their signs in French ...

Old 01-22-2017, 01:05 AM

997 posts, read 937,599 times
I find it hard to get bread that I like well enough for the price. I usually buy Orowheat rye bread.

I put it in a plastic bag and store it in the fridge. It lasts a long time. I do buy sourdough sometimes at Costco because it is reasonably priced. It isn't ideal.

I am sure I could find a better bread. I use the fridge, but the freezer is probably better.

I never keep it out of the fridge like I used to. When bread is even a tiny bit stale, I hate it.

I know there is good bread available but it is a matter of taste and where you shop and how you store it.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:55 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products . I like to keep at least one loaf of bread in the house but when you go to get a slice it is really dryed out almost to the point of being stale after only a week or so in the pantry ....sad really . I can remember my grandmother getting a loaf of bread at the store and she would still have it two weeks later and not dry at all . Why is that ? have things gotten that bad ?
Go on a grain-free diet and this problem will be moot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink