Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 12:56 PM

82 posts, read 81,623 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is difficult to find great bread these days. If I am going to spend the calories eating bread, it has to be really exceptional bread. My grandmother used to make homemade bread. A warm piece of that spread with butter was to die for. Now, I have to look in the artisan section of the supermarket and pay $5-6 for a loaf of great bread. I do freeze it after using it. I wish I could find someplace that sold half-loafs around here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,628,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
When I buy a loaf of bread it could take me up to 3 weeks to finish it. So now when I get home, I separate it out to 2 slices per sandwich bag and put back in the loaf and freeze immediately. I always have nearly fresh bread and no waste.
I put the date so when I buy more I know to which to use first. If you just refrigerate it, it does dry out quickly. I have
a pet bird who eats the heals and what she doesn't eat I put out for the birds. (don't believe in wasting food)
Heals should of been heels...typo...lol

Old 01-22-2017, 02:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Right?!? It's a power struggle, that's for sure.
Actually, Bill 101 was probably the BEST thing that ever happened - for Toronto and Vancouver.

After its implementation many financial companies relocated to Toronto. The requirement that immigrants be taught in French dissuaded most Chinese immigrants to head to Vancouver and Toronto.

===================

Back to the topic, I am not buying any bread these days that are shipped in long distance ... unless I am choosing to ship the bread in myself. That eliminates most of the name brand breads these days.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Most of the major bread companies like sunbeam, sara lee etc ...are putting out such poor bread products . I like to keep at least one loaf of bread in the house but when you go to get a slice it is really dryed out almost to the point of being stale after only a week or so in the pantry ....sad really . I can remember my grandmother getting a loaf of bread at the store and she would still have it two weeks later and not dry at all . Why is that ? have things gotten that bad ?
You CAN get a decent loaf of bread - but it's not going to be at a supermarket.

We get ours from several small, ethnic bakeries that have been around for a very long time. I keep a locally made sliced bread in the house for sandwiches, and pita for other types of sandwiches.

But for a good loaf of crusty bread? I head to a good old fashioned BAKERY.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:09 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, there are so many places putting out "artisan" breads now--silly name but better quality--and local bread baked fresh. You can get good bread--but you have to pay a little more for it.
I wouldn't go for paying more, or for the extra calories.

The standard bread is fine. If it's toooo good, and fattening, I'll eat too much and it'll collect as a roll around my middle, which is already none too slim.

I might give making my own bread a try, though. If I can find a recipe to control the calories and add fiber.

Old 01-22-2017, 02:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Right?!? It's a power struggle, that's for sure.
Actually, Bill 101 was probably the BEST thing that ever happened - for Toronto and Vancouver.

After its implementation many financial companies relocated to Toronto. The requirement that immigrants be taught in French dissuaded most Chinese immigrants to head to Vancouver and Toronto.

===================

Back to the topic, I am not buying any bread these days that are shipped in long distance ... unless I am choosing to ship the bread in myself. That eliminates most of the name brand breads these days.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:56 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,624,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBentley View Post
There were many German immigrants to La back in the day...we are fortunate that a mighty fine German baker was among them. The family bakery began by baking heavy "german type" bread but quickly discovered there was a bigger market for their baguettes...lucky us.

There is a part of La, just a little up river from NO, that is called the "German Coast".

To this day the bakery still uses this quirky slogan "Leidenheimers...that's French for bread".

We are plenty used to things that don't make sense to outta towners, but are perfectly fine (and normal) with us.
I grew up an Army brat. We lived in Ben Franklin Village for three years & attended the American high school, close to Mannheim, Germany.

Sometimes, we would go to the backerei/bakery nearby for fresh made, warm Brotchen with butter.....yum....

brotchen - Bing

Sometimes we stopped by a shop where we got German bologna, cheese, mustard, pickles on a fresh brotchen.....yum..........very good.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:17 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Walmart and Target has it. I didn't know that; I just checked locations. Dave (Dahl) has had an interesting--if you want to call it that--life.

The only brand of sliced bread in a bag I've been buying is Ezekiel. It's sold frozen. That stuff won't last on the counter.
I LOVE Ezekiel but can't find it any more. I bake a similar bread myself with spelt flour sometimes.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:25 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I LOVE Ezekiel but can't find it any more. I bake a similar bread myself with spelt flour sometimes.
I find it in the freezer section of Safeway.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-22-2017, 04:27 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,571,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I find it in the freezer section of Safeway.
Thanks! I'll look at my Safeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink