Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,038,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Must be me but I never found tilapia to taste muddy.

Catfish on the other hand always had that murky after taste to me, hence that is one fish I do not particularly like.

As for farm raised, I've read all the evils of farm raising. Yet, farm raised fish do have some advantages over wild.

Notice all those nasty Youtube videos showing fish with worm infestations? Those are mostly wild caught fish.

Farm raised fish tend to have less worms and parasites.

how can this be?????

when all you hear are the negatives about farm raised..... dont these fish eat nothing but pig poop and will give you a penile parasite???

i heard all this on the internet it has to be true!

Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 01:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,233,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
... i am grossed out by the stuff I read about farm raised talapia. I try not to think about it. They sell it everywhere.
There's certifications on the package. Somebody must be checking this stuff.
This is not to 'you', personally, johnd...
Even the reports on TV, the interviews...the inspectors at the border won't touch Farm-raised...will not,
plus others interviewed said...Wait...wait for 10 -20 years and see the health problems arise.

This is not 'me' saying this
. 3 different shows...even fish penned in on a moving river...you would think
would be ok...well, not when you hear the list of why it isn't...tho, Americans are TRYING...
their hearts are in the right place.

Google these things ( dangers of farm raised fish)...you think I like paying top dollar for Wild Caught...I do not!
But, I can't bring myself to eat any farm-raised...you won't either when you learn
from googling.

If one person here cares about their health long term...then my posts are worth it.
I won't write anymore...it's up to each person to decide on their own.
Take care.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:59 PM

15,199 posts, read 10,191,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
This is true too, wild fish are being over-fished, at a rapid rate. I read about some new fish finder, that will catch the entire shoal of fish, leaving none behind to reproduce, as was done in the past. This is bad news for the Oceans, as well as the fish.

Oh my God - that is awful. Where did you hear this?

Old 01-22-2017, 02:16 PM

45,012 posts, read 60,002,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh my God - that is awful. Where did you hear this?

That piece of equipment, fishfinder sonar, has been around for at least a couple decades.

Here's one for sport fishermen:
Lowrance® Hook-9 Mid/High DownScan Sonar/GPS Combo : Cabela's

Old 01-22-2017, 02:54 PM

20,859 posts, read 28,189,865 times
I tried it and I did not like it at all. Never ate it again.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:49 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,018,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I bought some frozen, and I really like it. Nice mild flavor, good price, no waste. Then I heard about how it is raised and got grossed out. Now I am on the fence but leaning way over toward not getting it anymore (maybe substituting wild-caught cod or other fish).

Curious on other people's opinion?

Mine does have the HACCP seal, whatever that is worth.
Almost all the fish you buy at the grocery store or big box stores is farm raised so yes, they are eating their own poop.

Go to a fish market and ask what is wild caught.

You'll pay a lot more for it but it isn't farm raised.

Also, a lot of the fish at your fish market is farm raised.

Develop a good relationship with your fish monger.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:13 PM

1,665 posts, read 1,470,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
This is not to 'you', personally, johnd...
Even the reports on TV, the interviews...the inspectors at the border won't touch Farm-raised...will not,
plus others interviewed said...Wait...wait for 10 -20 years and see the health problems arise.

This is not 'me' saying this
. 3 different shows...even fish penned in on a moving river...you would think
would be ok...well, not when you hear the list of why it isn't...tho, Americans are TRYING...
their hearts are in the right place.

Google these things ( dangers of farm raised fish)...you think I like paying top dollar for Wild Caught...I do not!
But, I can't bring myself to eat any farm-raised...you won't either when you learn
from googling.

If one person here cares about their health long term...then my posts are worth it.
I won't write anymore...it's up to each person to decide on their own.
Take care.
What I think I read was farm raised from some countries was ok. There's supposed to be farm raised from the US that's ok. I've seen some from South America. I tried to stop eating it for a while. Every grocery store has farm raised in China talapia. I tried to quite for a while. A lot of people are eating it. I expect the same stuff is served in restaurants. I just brought home a 2 lb package that cost under $6. I'll finish what I have on hand. A piece of talapia and an egg makes a nice breakfast.

I buy farmed salmon and some wild caught processed in China. I have also had swai.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 8,263,141 times
I buy wild caught off the dock from the Fishermen's Co-op when I'm in Mexico. It's mild and tasty and is half the price of what is charged in the USA. When I'm in the states I don't eat it.

Are tilapia safe to eat? | Caribbean News Now

Old 01-22-2017, 05:58 PM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I bought some frozen, and I really like it. Nice mild flavor, good price, no waste. Then I heard about how it is raised and got grossed out. Now I am on the fence but leaning way over toward not getting it anymore (maybe substituting wild-caught cod or other fish).

Curious on other people's opinion?

Mine does have the HACCP seal, whatever that is worth.
I don't like it. Tried it, and there's just something about the taste I don't care for.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:01 PM

88,139 posts, read 84,005,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
I didn't know they had personality!!

I do not pay attention to anything about what my food goes through before it gets on my plate. There is not a tolerance level for that knowledge so I must compartmentalize.

I try to eat happy meat, but that isn't always practical.

I do like it and I use it for fish tacos mostly.
Ah, did that for years, until I couldn't compartmentalize anymore and stopped eating meat.

I still eat fish on occasion, but only wild-caught. Mostly salmon, sometimes cod, and since I live near the Jersey shore, in the summer sometimes I get bluefish if someone I know goes fishing.

Not lecturing anyone else on meat-eating, since I did it myself for 57 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink