Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times

Advertisements

I'd like to make a mocha hazelnut pie (made with instant pudding, Cool Whip and assorted flavorings) to take in for a food day at work. Problem is, of course it'll have to sit out at room temperature. How long can it sit out before getting too soft and goopy and be a mess to cut and serve - or worse yet, become unhealthily inedible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 03:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,954,475 times
Unless you keep it on ice, I wouldn’t leave it out more than 2 hours, but I’m a little strict when it comes to food safety.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Agree, 2 hrs at most...

Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Ugh...It's for "Pi" Day - 3.14.2018....and we have a pie contest every year. It's tough enough to have a dozen pies on a single day, even worse trying to eat a non-fruit pie in the morning. And they sure won't all be eaten in a few hours...

Old 02-09-2018, 08:58 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
What you could do is nestle the pie in the pan (already cut into serving wedges) into a pan with ice, if you're worried it will spoil from sitting out.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What you could do is nestle the pie in the pan (already cut into serving wedges) into a pan with ice, if you're worried it will spoil from sitting out.
Yes - this is what I'm considering. Maybe some kind of double pie carrier that I can put ice in the bottom and change it out as needed while being able to open and close the top for people to serve themselves.

Tricky though...it's a competition and the mere fact of the pie not being open and on constant display will likely lower the votes I get! Yes, it's a silly thing...maybe I should just bring cake and take myself out of the contest entirely!

Old 02-10-2018, 08:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes - this is what I'm considering. Maybe some kind of double pie carrier that I can put ice in the bottom and change it out as needed while being able to open and close the top for people to serve themselves.

Tricky though...it's a competition and the mere fact of the pie not being open and on constant display will likely lower the votes I get! Yes, it's a silly thing...maybe I should just bring cake and take myself out of the contest entirely!
I didn't realize the stakes here - if it's a contest, odds are whoever brings the apple pie will win. Seriously, 'American as apple pie.'

I would make a Dutch apple pie, deep dish, with chopped walnuts in the streusel topping. Tart apples - probably honeycrisp. I don't think mocha or hazelnut has the universal appeal of an apple pie - but you probably know your colleagues best.

So if you bring a cake, your item can't be voted on? What kind of cake would you make?

ETA: the best Dutch apple pie I've ever eaten happened to be in the Netherlands: Dudok's apple pie with a healthy pile of whipped Dutch cream. If anyone is ever in Rotterdam, please get you a piece - it is one of the more memorable things I have sampled abroad.

https://goo.gl/images/ea3vZH

Last edited by DontH8Me; 02-10-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Dudok!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I didn't realize the stakes here - if it's a contest, odds are whoever brings the apple pie will win. Seriously, 'American as apple pie.'

I would make a Dutch apple pie, deep dish, with chopped walnuts in the streusel topping. Tart apples - probably honeycrisp. I don't think mocha or hazelnut has the universal appeal of an apple pie - but you probably know your colleagues best.

So if you bring a cake, your item can't be voted on? What kind of cake would you make?

ETA: the best Dutch apple pie I've ever eaten happened to be in the Netherlands: Dudok's apple pie with a healthy pile of whipped Dutch cream. If anyone is ever in Rotterdam, please get you a piece - it is one of the more memorable things I have sampled abroad.

https://goo.gl/images/ea3vZH
I know what you mean - have to go with the crowd favorite to be a winner but I'm no good at making a crust and there are few single crust pies...I tried a Kentucky Derby pie and didn't like it...pecan is a possibility.

But because it is for "Pi" day, it has to be a pie - but I could take MYSELF out of the competition by bringing donuts or whatever.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Can you freeze the pie the night before and let it thaw while sitting out?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:37 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,421,074 times
Ah, pi day is one of the things I miss about no longer working in an office. Sounds like fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink