Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 06:29 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not all meat get tender if cooked longer. Very lean meats like white meat chicken/turkey and very lean pork loin will get dry and stringy. It doesn't get "falling apart tender" like a shoulder or rib cut does.
It rather get tough as the sole of a shoe.

you are correct.....it does get rubbery

however,,,,if you keep cooking in moisture it will fall apart or shred

i cook a lot of boneless breasts in the slow cooker and then i shred it

ive also done this with boneless pork loins/roasts

most stew beef is lean and tough,,,and if simmered for long enough it does become tender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2017, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 5,353 times
I love thin pork chops I pound them very thin, bread them in egg and flour, fry them quickly then make hunters gravy with the pan drippings. I serve them the over red cabbage and with butternut squash spaetzle or root vegetable mash yum!

Old 01-25-2017, 04:43 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I like to rotate pork chops into my diet at least once a month. But the last time I bought them, they turned out to be those 1/4 - 3/8" thin cuts. To me, these are very disappointing and are best used for "quick meal" fodder.

They cook up poorly and can easily be dried out. My goal and desire is to have thick juicy "stuffed chops" and that is what I will buy in the future with my new Costco membership.

In the meantime, I need to use up the old chops.

Anyone have any recopies they think work especially well with this thin chops?
Pork Schnitzel.

Old 01-25-2017, 07:33 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I like to rotate pork chops into my diet at least once a month. But the last time I bought them, they turned out to be those 1/4 - 3/8" thin cuts. To me, these are very disappointing and are best used for "quick meal" fodder.

They cook up poorly and can easily be dried out. My goal and desire is to have thick juicy "stuffed chops" and that is what I will buy in the future with my new Costco membership.

In the meantime, I need to use up the old chops.

Anyone have any recopies they think work especially well with this thin chops?
Why not place stuffing in between two chops and bake them?

Old 01-25-2017, 08:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Tonkatsu - Panko crust and fry. Moist and tender.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:00 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If they aren't bone-in, why not pound them into cutlets, bread and pan-fry?

Otherwise I'd probably slice an apple, put the chop, apple slices and a bit of cinnamon in some foil and bake on low for awhile.

* A bit curious when you say the "turned out to be" ....did you not see them when you bought them?
+1
Yup - in my part of the country when they are tenderized and breaded we call them "tenderloins" and eat them as a sandwich. I guess it's kind of a Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Indiana thing? When I tried to get a "tenderloin" in a butcher shop in Ohio years ago they wanted to sell me a filet - I told them it couldn't be a filet because it cost so much!

Old 01-25-2017, 01:06 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
+1
Yup - in my part of the country when they are tenderized and breaded we call them "tenderloins" and eat them as a sandwich. I guess it's kind of a Missouri, Iowa, Illinois, and maybe Indiana thing? When I tried to get a "tenderloin" in a butcher shop in Ohio years ago they wanted to sell me a filet - I told them it couldn't be a filet because it cost so much!
I have only seen pork tenderloin sandwiches in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. What I mean by this is the dish where the pork is flattened out, breaded, and deep fried.

Frisch's Big boy in Cincinnati used to offer a pork tenderloin sandwich but is was a pork cutlet.

If you order a pork tenderloin at a butcher shop in most parts of the country, you'll get something like this:

By the way, in Illinois, I have seen more pork chop sandwiches than pork tenderloin sandwiches. And they can be excellent if NOT overcooked.

Old 01-25-2017, 04:12 PM

118 posts, read 86,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are lots of things you can do with them.

If you like stuffed pork chops, take two of those skinny ones, layer stuffing between them, and tie the whole thing together with butcher's twine.

Cook them in a pork recipe that simmers them in a sauce.

Yes! I had them that way when I was a kid. With stuffing similar to the scalloped corn casserole that my wife makes.

Dang tasty.

TU

Old 01-26-2017, 03:48 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have only seen pork tenderloin sandwiches in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. What I mean by this is the dish where the pork is flattened out, breaded, and deep fried.

Frisch's Big boy in Cincinnati used to offer a pork tenderloin sandwich but is was a pork cutlet.

If you order a pork tenderloin at a butcher shop in most parts of the country, you'll get something like this:

By the way, in Illinois, I have seen more pork chop sandwiches than pork tenderloin sandwiches. And they can be excellent if NOT overcooked.
not at any butcher shops up this way

all the pork tenderloins are pork tenderloins - i train the stores to take them off the whole pork loins..

thru the years many companies have sold marinated pork tenderloin roasts or tenderloins for more flavor,,,,,,
boneless pork can be dry.... but it is pricey and loaded with sodium

Old 01-29-2017, 12:30 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why not place stuffing in between two chops and bake them?
Not sure that's the same, but it can be tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink