Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 01:06 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I think its anti- american to use anything but Velvetta super bowl weekend.
So my stepson tells me and he actually IS a Chef! I once asked him about it - he made a dip for one of our parties and it was Hormel Chili and Velveeta. I asked him about the Velveeta and he said, no matter what you try to make it out of, if you don't use Velveeta it won't taste right. He also is very health conscious but agrees that once or twice or even three times a year isn't going to hurt anyone. I listen to him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
So my stepson tells me and he actually IS a Chef! I once asked him about it - he made a dip for one of our parties and it was Hormel Chili and Velveeta. I asked him about the Velveeta and he said, no matter what you try to make it out of, if you don't use Velveeta it won't taste right. He also is very health conscious but agrees that once or twice or even three times a year isn't going to hurt anyone. I listen to him!
I've had chili/Velveeta dip; I love it. Sometimes you just have to use what works best.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
Cheese isn't that BAD for you..geez.. I'm not saying eat it every day but it's by far not the worst thing you can eat.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:36 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Cheddar will smooth out beautifully if mixed with the right stuff.
1/3 cream cheese to 2/3 cheddar. You can add a splash of half and half if you want it even more silky.
I don't like a roux when making mac and cheese, and always use this blend to get a smooth, creamy cheddar.
Sorry, I just can't get past the plastic-like look and texture/taste of American cheese. Nothing against any of you who like it...I just never could get past the visual and textural.

Last edited by TerraDown; 02-03-2017 at 02:53 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Well since it was invented here in Austin, and we eat it every day... don't use cheddar.

Matt Martinez's original recipe from Matt's El Rancho restaurant in Austin:

Chile con Queso

You can make it Bob Armstrong by adding the meat and guacamole.

Last edited by Danbo1957; 02-03-2017 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-03-2017, 02:53 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I'm looking to make a recipe for Chile con Queso this weekend and it calls for American cheese. I know about the singles that are commonly used to make grilled cheese and I know about Velveeta. I would rather use cheddar. Would it be as good? What is American cheese to you and I mean real cheese, not cheese food.
Even the crummiest cheddar is likely to be better than the finest American cheese! This is what I mean by "the finest American cheese:"

And let me stress that individually wrapped slices -- like cheese food! -- are only going to be found at the "inedible" end of the quality spectrum. They absorb far too much plastic taste to be passable even in a grilled-cheese sandwich. A lot of generic American cheeses are in fact cheese food. Kraft at least sells you the real thing.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
Well since it was invented here in Austin, and we eat it every day... don't use cheddar...
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:32 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I think its anti- american to use anything but Velvetta super bowl weekend.
Yep.

And kinda weird that Velvet isn't located in the cheese aisle in the grocery store... it's in the "chips" aisle.

No refrigeration needed.

Old 02-03-2017, 03:36 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
I am as fussy an eater, and cheese consumer, as you are likely to find, and if I were making chile con queso, I would be using American cheese. I don't use it for any other purpose, but for this, it is lo mejor. Ask them to cut you a chunk at your grocer's deli if you don't want Velveeta. The Matt Martinez recipe Danbo1957 provided looks so good, I googled "Matt Martinez," and am going to make his version ofchili (con carne, not con queso) next time I make it.

Old 02-03-2017, 06:27 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,423,548 times
You can get sharp American cheese at Walmart deli it's very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink