Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 05:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,368,036 times

Advertisements

Maryland crab cakes and BonChon Korean fried chicken. Sorry, Denver, your BonChon franchise doesn't count. I don't know what you do to ruin it but your chicken doesn't hold a candle to what is served in the Baltimore/Washington area.

We do get crab cakes shipped out for Xmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 07:08 PM

733 posts, read 447,034 times
Wholesome street foods at literally anytime of the day (healthy, yummy, cheap foods) and all those tropical fruits. I've lived in a city in Vietnam until I became a teenager.

Old 08-07-2020, 07:43 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,116,182 times
One simple thing. I still live in So. Calif. But after nearly 40 years near Los Angeles, we moved to the coast in San Diego. And I miss with a vengeance, my home grown tomatoes. I grew them at the side of my house every summer and they were amazing. Since retiring and moving to the coast, I've tried and failed. I miss those so much. I existed on BLT's all summer long, or just a dish of sliced tomatoes.

Old 08-08-2020, 06:06 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
From "back home in southern CA" only one thing: a decent avocado.

I lived in coastal NJ for a few years. The only food I miss from the region is a particular type of bitter, chewy "French" bread offered by the mom-pop delis every small town seemed to have. Can't find anything like it out west. So many people rave about Atlantic blue crab...you mean those tiny things it takes an hour of work to get your fill of? Give me a couple of big fat Pacific Dungeness, channel lock pliers, newspaper covered picnic table and a bib any day!
Certainly hear you about the avocados. I am not sure I have had a good one since we left almost 40 years ago. I feel the same about Asparagus. Still love it, but it isn't nearly as tasty as what we got in Ca in the spring, which is the season for it.
As for the Blue crab and soft shelled ones on the east coast, no they are not the same as Dungines nor as good, but I still would love to be able to have some: fresh, just out of the sea.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:22 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,007,929 times
I miss the batter fried clams ... deep fried

Had a boss a few yrs ago
That loved seafood - would say bring me to one
If the best seafood restaurants he loved clams
I searched all over central Maine and none did batter
Anymore
We went to a place that supposedly renowned
For excellent main seafood
We ordered a fried clam dinner and seafood platter
We got 5 mrs. Paul’s fried clam heads .. even when server said they were
Whole. .. totally disappointment

Old 08-09-2020, 10:09 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,122,099 times
I can't get field corn anymore. Everyone has sweet corn but that good, starchy creamed field corn has unfortunately disappeared from my diet.

Old 08-09-2020, 12:01 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,491,696 times
Corned beef hash.

I've only seen it in one country outside of USA (Honduras, no idea why) so every time we're back in USA I go wild on it.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:51 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I can't get field corn anymore. Everyone has sweet corn but that good, starchy creamed field corn has unfortunately disappeared from my diet.
wow, I love the corn we get here: In the late spring it comes from Florida and by now it is coming directly from AR or Iowa.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:10 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,060,217 times
Actually there are places that have disappeared locally that I miss. Lum's, Old Scandia, Tark's Clam Stand and Antonello's.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:47 AM

24,511 posts, read 17,983,953 times
When I lived in Portsmouth NH, I could get little sweet peeled raw Gulf of Maine shrimp down the street at the local fish market. They peeled them on-site and you could get them fresh or frozen in 3 pound blocks. It was a very short shrimping season and it’s now shut down completely. During the couple of months you could get them fresh, I’d use them 2 or 3 times per week.

I’ve had many years of wintering at a Vermont ski resort and living on the Massachusetts coast next to New Bedford, the largest fishing port in the country. I had minimal access to real fresh seafood all winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink