Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 01:47 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Here's a thought to ponder: Why isn't most breakfast food spicy?

In today's times, spicy food has become a regular staple of the American diet. Probably other Western countries' diet too. From the blatantly American buffalo wings and burgers, to the foods like authentic tacos, kimchi, and samosas. But all these spicy foods continue to be confined to lunch, dinner, and fourthmeal. Breakfast continues to be quite bland in comparison: pancakes with syrup, cereal, eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee. Sometimes people put Frank's hot sauce on their eggs, but that's generally not seen as the norm, more like a bravado sort of thing.

The same is true with breakfast in many other counties: the Japanese eat miso soup, the Israelis eat shakshouka (eggs poached in tomato sauce), the French eat croissants, and the Swedes eat herring with bread. None of these breakfast foods are spicy, even if the respective nationalities embraced spicy foods for other meals. Any spice level that's there, like in shakshouka, is much milder compared to lunch, dinner, etc.

Why do so many people prefer rather bland foods for breakfast, even if they enjoy spicy foods at other meals? What makes their morning meal so different? Is it a psychological thing of some sort?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2017, 01:51 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Because spicy food is awful.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:57 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
Because spicy food is awful.
lol, I think so too. I wan't brought up on spicy foods and I just don't like them. Rather than have taste, they just burn your mouth. My husband actually gets sick on foods that have lots of peppers in them. He can eat spicy curry though--not for breakfast.

I think in the morning, you are just not ready for spicy. You are sort of dazed and want something bland and comforting, easy on the stomach. The most acidic or (spicy?) thing I can think of for breakfast would be orange juice. Maybe there's some scientific reason, maybe not.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
Salsa on omelets? (or jalapeños in omelets) Tabasco on eggs? (Cholula, for me. ) Chorizo and eggs? Cayenne on Eggs Benedict? Chili-flaked avocado toast? Shakshuka? Huevos Rancheros? Who says spicy doesn't happen at breakfast?? Save for the shakshuka (which is gaining popularity, fast), many of these things are on standard, American diners' breakfast menus, and have been for ages!

Old 02-16-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
Salsa on omelets? (or jalapeños in omelets) Tabasco on eggs? (Cholula, for me. ) Chorizo and eggs? Cayenne on Eggs Benedict? Chili-flaked avocado toast? Shakshuka? Huevos Rancheros? Who says spicy doesn't happen at breakfast?? Save for the shakshuka (which is gaining popularity, fast), many of these things are on standard, American diners' breakfast menus, and have been for ages!
I'll give you that. But I was referring more to the level of spice that makes you pant like a dog to cool off . Spicy breakfast foods are nowhere near that level for the most part.

As for my own hot sauce preferences, I like Cholula at breakfast, and Frank's at lunch and dinner.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:30 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
In today's times, spicy food has become a regular staple of the American diet. Probably other Western countries' diet too. From the blatantly American buffalo wings and burgers, to the foods like authentic tacos, kimchi, and samosas.
Not sure I would consider spicy food a "regular staple" of the American diet. Kimchi certainly isn't common in western diets, wings are frequently ordered mild, and I wouldn't consider burgers, tacos, or samosas to be "the level of spice that makes you pant like a dog to cool off"

For me personally, the idea of spicy food first thing in the morning just isn't appealing to me. But I don't eat a lot of spicy foods anyway.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
I think it depends on the country. OP only mentioned countries that were not really known for spicy food to begin with (France, Japan, Sweden? Not exactly spicy food lovers there!). Most Asian countries will eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. So if you ate spicy mutton curry and rice for dinner, that's your breakfast too.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I think it depends on the country. OP only mentioned countries that were not really known for spicy food to begin with (France, Japan, Sweden? Not exactly spicy food lovers there!). Most Asian countries will eat dinner leftovers for breakfast. So if you ate spicy mutton curry and rice for dinner, that's your breakfast too.
Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. I just should have worded it more explicitly. Countries whose cuisines aren't traditionally spicy, including USA, have embraced spicy foods for lunch and dinner, but not for breakfast. Why so, I wonder?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:08 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Why in the world would someone want spicy oatmeal and blueberries (today's breakfast) or, on weekends, spicy French toast (last Sunday's breakfast)?

Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM

560 posts, read 849,456 times
I love a spicy breakfast! My absolute favorite breakfast is to toss some fresh mushrooms, maybe tofu or leftover chicken, and fresh spinach or whatever other veggies I feel like adding into some broth. Then add a bit of yuzu koshu which is a Japanese condiment made from salt-fermented chiles and zest/fruit of a citrus called yuzu. That stuff has become an addiction for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink