Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 06:02 PM

260 posts, read 473,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
When I was a kid in the early 1960s in Southern California I ate some Abalone. Deep fried Abalone. No other seafood I ever ate tasted like it. Once in a while I will look it up online to see if I could get any. Once it passed $50.00 a pound I stopped looking. Good thing I like scallops. Scallops you can get....

TU

In New Zealand we have a species of Abalone called Paua, looks like the flesh is a lot darker. They often have paua fritters at the fish and chip shops here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 09:52 PM

161 posts, read 240,882 times
The two foods I miss most are those I had very fond memories of from my childhood!

Whatchamacallit chocolate bars- they don't sell these like the mainstream/popular chocolate bars that you'd see at the store check out aisles. You literally have to buy it online

Planters cheese balls- I remember they'd sell them in a blue round can and eating so many that my fingers would turn a bright orange color. I know Utz makes pretty good ones too, though I believe they are a little smaller than the ones I grew up on.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM

761 posts, read 604,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Baylor99 View Post
The two foods I miss most are those I had very fond memories of from my childhood!

Whatchamacallit chocolate bars- they don't sell these like the mainstream/popular chocolate bars that you'd see at the store check out aisles. You literally have to buy it online

Planters cheese balls- I remember they'd sell them in a blue round can and eating so many that my fingers would turn a bright orange color. I know Utz makes pretty good ones too, though I believe they are a little smaller than the ones I grew up on.
https://www.oldtimecandy.com/nsearch/?q=whatchamacallit

Old 02-28-2017, 11:39 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,223 times
Lays Cheesy Garlic bread potato chips, the ones that were the first contest winner few years ago.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:14 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Baylor99 View Post
They're still pretty much available widely here in the south. I saw them at the gas station the other day.

Speaking of candy.. Remember Fun Dip?

And.. Just speaking about 80's candy.. Some of these you can still find.. Skor candy bar.. The most horrible thing ever. That was the decade of Gummy everything.. How the PC Police haven't banned Big League Chew yet is beyond me.. Nerds and Runts are still out there, but awful hard to find in my area.

Old 03-01-2017, 11:55 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times
Not exactly a prepared food, but a food ingredient

Nestlé's Choco bake - A lady at my job used to make these rich, moist, gooey, chocolatey brownies, but stopped making them about 5 years ago because the main ingredient she used, Nestlé's Choco Bake, was discontinued.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:08 PM

473 posts, read 307,547 times
30 years ago there was delicious cookies available, not anymore

Old 03-02-2017, 08:33 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Well those friehoper WHITE BOX cookies are quite good! (Make sure to get the box that says ORIGINAL RECIPE)

Old 03-02-2017, 09:33 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
The 70's was a great time to be a kid in southern California. Going out to Shakey's Pizza, IHOP, Bob's Big Boy, even McDonald's was better than going to Disneyland for me.

Probably not as good as I remember them to be, but now all the chain restaurants have gone downhill.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
The 70's was a great time to be a kid in southern California. Going out to Shakey's Pizza, IHOP, Bob's Big Boy, even McDonald's was better than going to Disneyland for me.

Probably not as good as I remember them to be, but now all the chain restaurants have gone downhill.

I think that one of the reasons why chain restaurants have lost their allure is that we eat at them a lot.

Back in the 1970s, a trip to Shakey's, Big Boy, or McDonald's was about as frequent as a trip to Disneyland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink