Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 08:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

After watching that segment about true olive oil on television a few months ago, it was an eye opener about quality. Some brands 'cut' the quality down by adding non-olive 'oil' to it; yes, even the most popular brand which may have been the Philipo Berio brand.

Nevertheless, paying a few more dollars for the purity isn't going to break the bank. And I like the pure olive oil on homemade pasta. Pure olive oil in a nice pesto with fresh herbs and pignolis is awesome. Difficult to get 'real' homemade crusty Italian bread here in the mountains though, that's another subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 01:43 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
If you like it, use it. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I often wonder if we have been all sold a bill of goods on oils. One study says this, a doctor says that and a cook on who knows what show says something else. I will probably continue to use olive oil for salads but go back to good old oil, oil, yes, like canola for cooking.
I took an awful lot of grief from my kids when I used grocery store canola oil for sauteeing. So I found organic, cold pressed non GMO canola oil and that’s what I use now for sauteeing. Canola oil has a high smoke point, and works better than olive oil does for this purpose, IMO.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:39 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I took an awful lot of grief from my kids when I used grocery store canola oil for sauteeing. So I found organic, cold pressed non GMO canola oil and that’s what I use now for sauteeing. Canola oil has a high smoke point, and works better than olive oil does for this purpose, IMO.
We buy and like the California Olive Ranch brand but still occasionally use a canola oil for some cooking.

Here's a short article about the two types.
olive-oil-vs-canola-oil

...and a more critical article on canola oil.
Canola oil Dr. Axe

... then another much less critical
Canola oil WebMD

It appears there are many variations and opinions (and articles) on it as well. Draw your own conclusions.

Then there is the question of what oil to use for baking.

Old 12-23-2017, 07:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
I do think if anyone looked up canola oil on the many websites available they would never use it.
We think we are being so good, staying away from Gmo's and doing cold pressed...but..
there's more to it, so sorry to say. :[

Old 12-23-2017, 09:59 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
I never used Canola and over yrs I read a lot of negative reviews on canola in general, organics or not. It's interesting now that canola people have added "organic" to their brands.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 12-23-2017 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 10:44 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I never buy Italian olive oil, the mafia is making money by diluting it with inferior oils. I stick to local California organic olive oil.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
We buy and like the California Olive Ranch brand but still occasionally use a canola oil for some cooking.

Here's a short article about the two types.
olive-oil-vs-canola-oil

...and a more critical article on canola oil.
Canola oil Dr. Axe

... then another much less critical
Canola oil WebMD

It appears there are many variations and opinions (and articles) on it as well. Draw your own conclusions.

Then there is the question of what oil to use for baking.
Oh, I know—how to choose fats for baking with all the conflicting info. Since I now bake so rarely, I just made up my mind to use butter. If I baked a lot, I would probably use some butter and some oil. Even my old recipes that call for shortening I now simply use butter. Sure it is saturated, but it isn’t hydrogenated! And baked goods are not health foods; in our house, they are treats eaten rarely.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I never used Canola and over yrs I read a lot of negative reviews on canola in general, organice or not.
People get confused about what canola is. You can buy non GMO, organic canola. Canola oil is gotten from a hybrid plant, not a genetically modified plant.

I’ve read the doggonest things, like it has an awful smell and leaves a funky taste. Not true at all. It has no taste. It has a high smoke point. It is often grown by smaller farmers, though that is not guaranteed. But if it is guaranteed organic, it has to have been carefully grown.

I like tasting the olive oil I use. I think cooking with it is a waste, and besides, olive oil has a lower smoke point.

Last edited by silibran; 12-23-2017 at 11:16 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 10:59 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Butter makes everything better.

[/b]
Quote:
Oh, I know—how to choose fats for baking with all the conflicting info. Since I now bake so rarely, I just made up my mind to use butter. If I baked a lot, I would probably use some butter and some oil. Even my old recipes that call for shortening I now simply use butter. Sure it is saturated, but it isn’t hydrogenated! And baked goods are not health foods; in our house, they are treats eaten rarely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink