Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 10:16 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
...Put in in the fridge. See if it gels up fast. If it stays liquid or a lot of it stays liquid, then that is clue #1 it is bad. Good olive oil solidifies in the fridge quickly...
That myth was debunked years ago. Not all olive varieties produce oil that congeals the same when refrigerated. Heck, peanut oil will congeal when refrigerated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 04:33 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
People get confused about what canola is. You can buy non GMO, organic canola. Canola oil is gotten from a hybrid plant, not a genetically modified plant.

I’ve read the doggonest things, like it has an awful smell and leaves a funky taste. Not true at all. It has no taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Unless it goes rancid, which happens quickly. Then it has an awful smell. I don't taste it when it smells. When it's gone, it's gone.
Quote:
I've never had it go rancid on me. I'd know if it did.
Quote:
Me either, for some reason olive oil is pretty long life to it. Although I use open bottles in a couple months or less.
We were talking about canola oil, which I have only used very infrequently. The remainder of most bottles I've bought has gone rancid quickly, especially relative to EVOO, which I use so often, I have hardly ever had a bottle go rancid. In fact, I think the only time I've ever smelled rancid olive oil was at the home of two friends who never cook.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:01 AM

91 posts, read 49,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Really bizarre! As we were preparing for tomorrows festivities, cooking, baking we had this very discussion this evening about REALLY, Truly EVOO!

Fortunately, so far no problems medically so we are still partaking of the cold pressed from the family oil which we bring over in tightly sealed cola bottles.

FOCUS ON THE IONIAN*SEA

Ionian islands may very soon overtake Tuscany as an agro-tourism destination.

https://medium.com/beyond-organic-be...a-7e6b278a4a82
That's HILARIOUS.

We are Maniátes from the Peloponissos. Village of centuries old homes population 35. ha ha

At the moment, the two sealed bottles in my kitchen are Tagalakis Elaiones and Laconiko 2016 . I don't have the heart to just trash them.

Yeah, if you've been eating Greek forever without excessive Twinkies, McDonalds or processed oils your arteries are probably not damaged and will let that Greek goodness flow through!

Enjoy, Merry Christmas!

LOL

FOCUS ON THE PELOPONNESE

This is the place where it all began hundreds or even perhaps thousands of years before Athens even existed.

https://medium.com/beyond-organic-be...e-9c0daed3b46b

Last edited by factcheckcd; 12-25-2017 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-25-2017, 08:15 AM

91 posts, read 49,173 times
Quote:
That is right, CA live Ranch one of my fav cheap oils.

Kroger had a Private Selection Spanish robust that was good.

Pompeian oils, the Greeks sourced oils, used to be good, but have gone to hell. Who knows what they use now. The kids must have taken over the factory.
No, Pompeian is sourced and blended from eight different countries. Don't blame the Greeks. And yes, while located in MD, the company has been sold a few times. The latest being to a company from Morocco.

https://www.pompeian.com/commitment/sourcing

Old 12-25-2017, 11:19 AM

155 posts, read 132,507 times
For my modest cooking needs I purchase Costco Kirkland brand EVOO.

I like the moderate bulk price and I think that Costco has a pretty keen eye on its vendors, much more so than a grocery chain that sells 25 differant types of olive oil. Costco I think carries just a couple choices.

Old 12-25-2017, 04:42 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastPatriot View Post
For my modest cooking needs I purchase Costco Kirkland brand EVOO.

I like the moderate bulk price and I think that Costco has a pretty keen eye on its vendors, much more so than a grocery chain that sells 25 differant types of olive oil. Costco I think carries just a couple choices.
Yes, the Costco brand is excellent and if you are able to get their brand in the glass bottle it is the better of 2 choices. However, I have never been able to find the glass bottle version at my Costco.

The Best Supermarket Extra Virgin Olive Oil Mar 4th, 2017

A manager at Costco explained to me that the slimmer bottle on the left (a glass bottle) contains a higher quality EVOO~one suitable for tasting, drizzling on salads, or offered as a dipper for bread.

https://www.familysavvy.com/the-best...gin-olive-oil/

Old 12-29-2017, 10:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I never used Canola and over yrs I read a lot of negative reviews on canola in general, organics or not. It's interesting now that canola people have added "organic" to their brands.
I don’t know about “adding organic to brands”. The canola I use is labeled with the same organic label as other foods. All this means to me is that recognized organic methods were used in cultivation. Insee no reason to question the labeling.

As I pointed out before, canola is a hybrid crop, not a genetically modified crop, and has omega 6 acids as does olive oil. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil.

I see no reason not to use it.

Old 12-30-2017, 03:31 PM

19,122 posts, read 25,320,104 times
Quote:
As I pointed out before, canola is a hybrid crop, not a genetically modified crop, and has omega 6 acids as does olive oil. It has a higher smoke point than olive oil.
I see no reason not to use it.

I also use canola oil, but if I want to add a very nice flavor to a dish, then I use EVOO, because canola oil does not have a particularly nice taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink