Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 01:36 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times

Advertisements

cans hold fizz much better than bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 01:58 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
That's right...cans and GLASS bottles will keep longer. Plastic bottles apparently allow some exchange of air....because the plastic bottles get "squishy" when they are old. I think the C02 leaks out!

Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Unopened soda bottles retain their carbonation the longest, exceeding the printed sell-by date on their labels. When stored under optimal conditions, unopened bottles of soda can stay fizzy for up to 9 months beyond this marked date. For a long shelf life, store plastic bottles of soda in a cool, dark place. While soda won't typically be spoiled beyond the expiration date, it is likely to be noticeably flat after 9 months of pantry storage beyond the sell-by date even under optimal conditions.

Some manufacturers stamp a sell-by date, while others stamp a born-on date. Some expiration dates are easy to read, while others appear as complex codes that need to be deciphered and can easily be misinterpreted.

Poor storage conditions and extended storage can easily leave you with flat soda. Carbon dioxide eventually escapes from an unopened bottle of soda and this is unpreventable.

Here is an extra note about DIET soda:

While the carbonation in diet sodas doesn't dissipate any quicker, saving diet sodas beyond the recommended nine months can yield an unpalatable glass of soda. Artificial sweeteners break down over time and impart a bad taste, making it important to drink these products closer to the sell-by date for the best taste as well as good carbonation. While it's still safe to drink diet soda up to nine months after its sell-by date, if your diet soda has an undesirable taste, discard it.

How Long Will Plastic Bottles of Soda Keep Fizz? | Everyday Life - Global Post
https://cdccoffee.squarespace.com/bl...piration-dates
And read the comments

BTW: soda or beer from a can tastes much fizzier than the stuff that comes out of a bottle. Manufacturers dissolve the same volume of carbon dioxide into their plastic- and aluminum-bound products, but polyethylene terephthalate plastic is somewhat more CO2-permeable than aluminum. That means the fizz will leak out of a plastic bottle of Coke at a higher rate than it would from a can.
If the soda gets warm while still in the can or bottle, the gas will leave the soda and enter the head space—that's the area between the soda and the cap used to regulate pressure—and release into the air the moment you open the container. Coca-Cola is slightly more carbonated than its diet counterpart. Ginger ale has almost twice the carbonation of most colas.

Last edited by elnina; 08-21-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 02:34 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Please remember, the "Sell By" date is NOT an "expiration" date. It merely means that the product is at its best before that date, and may not be very good after that date.
We have used heavy cream nearly a year after the sell by date. It sat in the frig all that time, and was still good!

Old 08-21-2015, 04:02 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
I have bought soda (Diet Pepsi, mostly) from the little store on the corner by my place. They often stock drinks that are past the expiration date printed on the cap, and the drink is flat. How could a carbonated drink lose its fizz when it's in an airtight bottle? (I had thought at first that the expiration date was no big deal--it wouldn't be a health hazard,
its already a health hazard!

Don in Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by conusmound View Post
like it would be for a dairy product or meat.)

I feel like a wine snob now, but I'll check each bottle to make sure it is before the expiration date before I buy it.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
You can tell when a diet soda is expired by the taste, usually. If it has been stored in a very warm area, it will taste bad sooner than that.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
A case of soda in aluminum cans that was sitting on my kitchen floor, ate through the cans and spilled soda all over everything. So the sell by date does mean something.

Those cans were not just a few weeks past sell by date, though.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:17 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
A case of soda in aluminum cans that was sitting on my kitchen floor, ate through the cans and spilled soda all over everything. So the sell by date does mean something.

Those cans were not just a few weeks past sell by date, though.
Now that's a lovely thing to know. Ate through the aluminum????

I won't say never, but I rarely drink soda. Sounds as if that's a good move.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 PM

3,888 posts, read 4,542,046 times
Default Time flies as proven by the expiration dates on my spices!!

Oh my goodness, I just cleaned out and sorted the shelf in my kitchen that had a zillion containers of various sizes and brands containing various spices! Lol!! It's like a time warp in there! A virtual history museum!
"But wait! What? Wasn't 2011 just a couple of of years ago?" (it was FIVE!) "Oh I remember 2009... that's the year we..." etc. etc.

I actually found an unopened bottle of hot sauce from 2004! Okay, now that's scary!

Needless to say 3/4 of that shelf is now empty!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:01 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
I didn't know spices could go bad. I have some spices that I bought 10 years ago that are still fine to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink