Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Sounds like a true millennial that you are. Sushi without making it restaurant quality is simple to make and uses fewer ingredients than Thai or Chinese dishes. Sushi is supposed to be simple eats.

I can easily get cooked sushi rice prepared and rolled onto nori sheets and drop in many prepared ingredients like shrimp, raw salmon, and cream cheese for a nice roll. It doesn't have to be fancy.
I'm not sure how you can fault someone for wanting to dine out for different types of meals. I eat out and usually go places where I cannot easily make the food. Sure one can make a simple style of sushi, but that might not be what you are craving.

I wouldn't eat cream cheese in sushi, but we all have our own preferences, like the poster did about eating out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
I often wonder why can't people make sushi, at home?

Why pay $6-10 for a simple roll of sushi when it costs about that much to make about 4-6 rolls at home.

While it takes some skills and training to make good looking rolls I don't think it is hard to make edible sushi at home.

I often dislike most places that cheapen the ingredients used, I think the most important flavor is the nori followed by the rice. 90% of the places used crap nori that you can taste it has little to no flavor and no bite means not roasted well.

A good sushi chef often would take a few sheets of nori and put it over some fire just to roast it a little before rolling.

As for the rice, whenever I look closely medium grain rice is used. That is not genuine sushi grade rice. That type of rice often falls apart after a bite and can't be molded into a ball perfectly. The mixture of sugar and rice wine vinegar is also important. I find most places don't do a good enough job mixing it so the rice is unseasoned relying on tons of sauces to mask the flavor of poorly prepared sushi rice.
As for the addins, it takes little skins to add in your own slabs of raw fish, pickles, veggies, and roll it up at home.

It's just ridiculous how much places charge these days for interior quality sushi. It's very easy to make hand rolls yourself.

Making your own car is also cheaper than buying one new.
So what.

Edit: Cream cheese in sushi? jeeze louise.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:10 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Yeah, it's usually called the Philadelphia roll because of Philadelphia brand cream cheese. And there's usually salmon in there too. I've never had it. Just the thought of it gives me the jitters -- I like my cream cheese with (smoked) salmon on a bagel.

As to the OP: I've made sushi at home. Not a habit that I wanted to keep up. I much prefer to eat it in a restaurant and have the assortment that they offer.

Old 03-01-2017, 03:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Sounds like a true millennial that you are. Sushi without making it restaurant quality is simple to make and uses fewer ingredients than Thai or Chinese dishes. Sushi is supposed to be simple eats.

I can easily get cooked sushi rice prepared and rolled onto nori sheets and drop in many prepared ingredients like shrimp, raw salmon, and cream cheese for a nice roll. It doesn't have to be fancy.
Er, pretty sure that sushi restaurants are not exclusively the domain of Millennials.

Many people dine out for things they don't have any real interest in preparing at home. That's not a "millennial" thing. It's a people thing.

Making one's own sushi is fine, and can be done with varying degrees of simplicity. But what's wrong with people choosing to dine out? If it's not something one makes often, having the necessary tools and ingredients on hand isn't a given, and going out may be more convenient (or social, or fun, or less fuss and mess, or whatever...dies it matter?).

Old 03-01-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post

Philly rolls are DELICIOUS, in the same way that cream cheese/lox bagels are delicious. Great pairing.

I'll take that over Spam musubi any day, myself, but to each, their own.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:

lol, and your point is what?

If you think that you're somehow superior to me or anyone else b/c you want to make homemade sushi, then by all means, pat yourself on your back.

But, don't be condescending.

I think that it's just not something I want to spend time or money doing b/c there's no great reward in it for me. I rarely eat sushi. And the kind that I do like/crave, when i want it, is more than the simple one you can conjure up in your home.

Old 03-01-2017, 09:52 PM

7 posts, read 9,045 times
Mine tastes delicious as long as you don't look at it...it looks like early ugly

Old 03-01-2017, 10:04 PM

277 posts, read 327,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I learned to make sushi by watching you tube videos. I add the sugar and vinegar into the rice cooker with the water and uncooked rice so it is delicious every time.

What I really like is the sushi rice so I make it now without rolling it at all just eat it by the bowlful with roasted garlic and lime. Or topped with tuna and smoked paprika. For guests I still make sushi rolled up it is a lovely presentation.

I don't do any raw fish. My favorite add ins are smoked salmon and red onion. My favorite dipping sauce is soy sauce and vinegar.
Would you have a recipe for the sushi rice you can share? How many parts sugar and vinegar to how much rice? It sounds really good with the garlic and lime.

I won't be attempting to make sushi any time soon. I know what the result would be - hree stooges level disaster.

But we have a wonderful Sushi restaurant in town so I try to get there as often as I can. Not too terribly often as the cost is quite high. I'd dine two or three nights a week at this place if it was in my budget.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:07 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fancy feast View Post
Mine tastes delicious as long as you don't look at it...it looks like early ugly
That is TOO funny! ROFL!

Old 03-02-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50states View Post

I won't be attempting to make sushi any time soon. I know what the result would be - hree stooges level disaster.
It's really not hard, after a few trial runs to get proportions right. If making maki/rolls, you just layer the ingredients of your choice on a mat, roll it up jellyroll style, and slice the log with a sharp knife. While there are certainly complicated artful touches one can do, but the basics of putting together a roll really aren't anymore intimidating than putting together a burrito.

My husband usually makes the rice; I don't know his proportions for seasoning it. He learned how to do it when he was stationed in S. Korea, so he makes it the way he was taught there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink