Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,160,703 times

Advertisements

There are many foods that are so called secret recipes or lets say - hard to reproduce well by the average cook. My questions are:
  • Are there any replication foods that you cook so well that no one would know the difference between yours and the store bought version?
  • Do you consider these foods easy to make? As in so easy that it makes it worthwhile - as opposed to spending too much time in the kitchen to get it right?
  • Are you willing to post your recipe here?

As an example, I'd truly like to have some Chicken George (defunct restaurant chain) Chicken with 5 Guys Fries, washed down by either Bo's Cherry Soda or Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino, and followed up with Chili's molten lava cake.

What can you cook and get the flavors so right, it tastes just like the chain version?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,868,540 times
My recipes are good enough that no one wants the "chain version."

Old 03-15-2017, 04:37 PM

4,692 posts, read 3,470,404 times
Gee I hate to sound like a snot but....I put so much effort, so much love, joy, etc. in my cooking. I think I might cry if someone thought it tastes like chain restaurant food.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I'm not that great of a cook but I know the secrets of a great Yorkshire pudding. Like the previous poster, I hope my food doesn't seem like chain style stuff. The other thing I make is good pot roast, so I've been told.

Old 03-15-2017, 05:39 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
not only am I a decent cook,,,i'm very handy and if you like fresh and local..
I can bring you to a farm to pick out your own cow...and i'll do the rest cut it all up and have a prime rib waiting in the oven,,,i even do dishes and pick up if the dessert is worth it

foods I get right???

I grind my own burgers and make my own sausage ..... and have a freezer full of wild game..

but my specialty is cooking beef and pork.... I can easily make a pork crown roast to a Florentine to rolled stuffed roasts and marinades..

I'm pretty handy on a grill too

lobsterbakes....lobsters, mackerel, clams and corn cooked in seaweed has an awesome smokiness ..the meal is an adventure..

Old 03-15-2017, 06:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,890,700 times
My cakes and pasta dishes are much better than what you get in chain restaurants or supermarkets. So are my chilis (not that I've had much chain chili).

Last edited by jay5835; 03-15-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,057,134 times
I like Five Guys fries and I don't have a deep fryer at home so I will give them the nod on those, but like the others here I'm a pretty fine cook and take care an pride in my ingredients and techniques being compared to a chain would be horrible.

I don't make chocolate lava cake much anymore but when I did it wasn't based on Chili's it was based on the US original by Jean-Georges Vongerichten, pretty easy and well worth it if you want to try..

Old 03-15-2017, 06:50 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
I worked at a restaurant that was voted as the best Key Lime Pie,
and IT WAS!
Well, naturally I learned how to make it. (Oh, in Key West years ago.)
I also can make a great $10 Spanish Coffee. Like a local cool restaurant here.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:48 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,974,757 times
When I can beat some of the best chefs and restaurants in the world, or that little old lady on the back streets of a small Thai village in the jungle, I will report back with the recipes. Getting there. I have the heart and the love down pat now. Presentation can sometimes be a little off and/or my speed and consistency a little under par.

I mastered/bettered the chain stuff a long time ago now (I worked on it every day for years when I was working full time, had a child in a school 20 miles away who had to be driven there and back every day, caring for my aging and ill parents, going to night school and taking care of a household) but I no longer cook that kind of fare if I can help it. Too heavy for me mostly these days, and I guess there is that btdt issue too.

Old 03-15-2017, 09:53 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Some things have so many ingredients, it's almost impossible to replicate. Cheesecake Factory's Shrimp Summer Rolls come to mind. The Rolls have about 27 different ingredients not to mention the sauces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink