Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:49 PM

201 posts, read 194,923 times

Advertisements

Hi CD,
I eat about 32 oz of romaine a week in salads I used to buy the prechopped but they no longer sell the family bag and the smaller ones are not looking very good and are very cost prohibitive. I've checked all the grocery stores. So I switched to buying whole heads. I rinse them and chop them myself and store the lettuce in those slider plastic gallon bags. I feel like I'm not getting it clean not taking it apart leaf by leaf.

I've read about contamination from fecal and other matter but I haven't been able to start growing my own and when I do it will be hard to keep up with demand. There is a lot of dirt and bugs as well.

Is there a good way to clean whole head romaine lettuce other than leaf by leaf?
I feel like there has to be a better way.

Thanks for any info.
NG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2017, 02:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,773,520 times
I'd like to know a better way too, but I doubt that there is one. I eat about the same amount of romaine weekly and buy the whole heads. I clean it leaf by leaf on the day that I'm going to eat it. In other words, don't wash the whole head at once, just what you're planning to eat right then - it will get wilted after it gets wet and then sits in the fridge until eaten later. I find a lot of grime (and the occasional bug) at the bottom of each leaf where it has had contact with the soil. So leaf by leaf it is, unless someone else has some wisdom to share.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:51 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,079,969 times
I wash each leaf and then spin it dry in a salad spinner. I then store the clean leaves of lettuce in a storage container from Tupperware.

But this Rubbermaid one looks good too.

This website suggests storage cleaned lettuce in a plastic bag with paper towels. The Best Way to Keep Salad Greens Fresh: Our Test Results | Kitchn

Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
Leaf by leaf is the only way I know how to do it. If there is a better way out there, I'd love to know too.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,150 times
Default Ymmv...

I make my salads ahead of time, romaine lettuce (cleaned leaf by leaf with a spray bottle of white vinegar and water, wiped relatively dry with a paper towel and roughly chopped), halved cherry tomatoes, quartered and thinly sliced Vidalia onions, and small rotini pasta.

Mixed and tossed all together, placed in a large (cheap dollar store) plastic bowl with a matching lid and a doubled paper towel placed over the top of the salad before the lid is placed on.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM

HI George Chong,
Thanks for sharing that link.
I was toying with buying a container like the bottom image- I like the way they have that bottom piece that allows extra water to drip down.
I really need a bigger fridge- hard finding space because I also cook chicken breast once a week and put it in a giant container - also for the daily salad. I wish they would make "closet fridges". So our fridges would be more like a mini commercial thing with just shelves, big as a closet!

Love eating healthy but it's a pain. I eat so much- the berries alone need their own shelf.
I haven't thought of a spinner- but for the heads it's probably a big help- right now I shake them in the kitchen and water gets everywhere- I blame the dog.

NG
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I wash each leaf and then spin it dry in a salad spinner. I then store the clean leaves of lettuce in a storage container from Tupperware.

But this Rubbermaid one looks good too.

This website suggests storage cleaned lettuce in a plastic bag with paper towels. The Best Way to Keep Salad Greens Fresh: Our Test Results | Kitchn

Old 03-27-2017, 04:49 PM

Rowan123,
I'm seriously toying with having a "wall of romaine". Maybe have a hydroponic system in the kitchen growing the romaine. sounds kinda crazy but again, I love plants, and plan on making a hydroponic system. I really need to get off my duff, and make the time to get rolling on it.

My thought is at least I can supplement by growing a bit on my own.

NG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
Leaf by leaf is the only way I know how to do it. If there is a better way out there, I'd love to know too.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:53 PM

HomeIsWhere,
You are ambitious. I just do all the prep (lettuce, chicken breast) in advance. I was toying with precutting purple onion and yellow pepper but think they might dry out. Also I've recently gotten sick of purple onion. Not sure what I'm going to replace it with, purple cabbage I'm not a big fan of.

I love cherry and grape toms, but eat them whole (chasing them around the plate because I'm too lazy to cut them). Love sweet onion, might replace the purple with the sweet but we'll see.

What percentage vinegar to water do you use, and do you do that to kill germs? I forget. I feel like I need to check with the green living people, because I think vinegar is good for cleaning the household as well.
Thanks!
NG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I make my salads ahead of time, romaine lettuce (cleaned leaf by leaf with a spray bottle of white vinegar and water, wiped relatively dry with a paper towel and roughly chopped), halved cherry tomatoes, quartered and thinly sliced Vidalia onions, and small rotini pasta.

Mixed and tossed all together, placed in a large (cheap dollar store) plastic bowl with a matching lid and a doubled paper towel placed over the top of the salad before the lid is placed on.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:09 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I guess I'm not as picky, but I buy the Publix packaged romaine, give it a rinse and chop it up. It hasn't killed us yet.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:50 PM

175 posts, read 366,213 times
I worked in a restaurant and we would chop the romaine and the iceberg up for the salads, put them in a big tub, poor cold water over it and a splash of lemon juice, let it sit, swish it around and drain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink