Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 08:07 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I open a can of GREEN BEANS and eat them right outta the can!! (mmmmmm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 11:30 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,487,112 times
I dunno about the rest of you, but I love a big bowl of mashed, steaming sweet potatoes, big pat of butter melting on top, nothin' else! Just this side of heaven.....

Old 04-09-2017, 01:05 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
I dunno about the rest of you, but I love a big bowl of mashed, steaming sweet potatoes, big pat of butter melting on top, nothin' else! Just this side of heaven.....
I love that too, but it's even easier to just nuke one for 4 minutes.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:12 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,537,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Sometimes I open a can of GREEN BEANS and eat them right outta the can!! (mmmmmm)
I'm like that with corn but I really shouldn't eat that much.
I like that bar b qed corn in the freezer aisle at grocery store. Didn't see it on our laSt shopping trip tho.sure hope it didn't get discontinued.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
We aren't vegetarian at all, but do have plenty of vegetable main courses.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
I usually like to have some meat with my meals, but I've gotten by just fine heating up a bag of frozen veggies and sprinkling cheese on it, or drizzling olive oil on it.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:13 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can center the plate with anything you want.....ive had dessert as the main course before

being in the food business,,i keep up on some industry numbers/trends.....after much research,,

vegans/vegetarians are still only 5% of the population with at least 50% going back to eating meat..
and interestingly enough only 5% of food sales are organic food sales

and for some good news..... meat consumption is actually going up and is projected to be at all all time high in 2017 (over 200lbs per person ave. in the u.s.)

the increased consumption is credited to recent study's that meat is a great source of food (minerals) and is very healthy, also that the fat everyone thought was going to kill us has recently been debunked ...and that fats in meat do not raise cholesterol levels.

also the one diet that seems to work for most is a high protein low carb,,,,,,and that's still prevelant today as it was decades ago with the atkins diet.

today I do eat more veggies than in the past.... so I can feel trendy too
Yes, exactly! That explains why vegans and vegetarians have such high rates of obesity compared to meat eaters. Oh wait.

Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
We also eat a lot more veggies than meat these days. I notice I feel better and have more energy with a tummy full of vegetables than I do with a tummy full of meat.

For one thing the variety of fresh vegetables is so much larger than it was forty years ago. Even things I thought I didn't like - eventually someone serves them in a way that is tasty to me and I can add it to my list.

But we have no strict rules about what we eat and when it's time to grill some burgers or put a roast in the over then that's what we do.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
They've never been common and still aren't, but vegetables as a main course have never been unknown.

No...

'This is what L.A. restaurants do better than any other city’s'

The sentence 'This is what L.A. restaurants do better than any other cities' would be grammatically incorrect, because the word 'other' in this case is an adjective meaning something along the lines of 'different one of multiple items'. The first of these items (which must be represented as a noun) is 'restaurants'. Not 'L.A.' or 'Los Angeles' but restaurants. The fact that the specific type of restaurants being referenced are those found in Los Angeles does not make Los Angeles - a city - the noun being referenced, because in this case 'L.A.' is an adjective, namely one that modifies the noun 'restaurants'.

The Post is correct.
It is correct, but I think it would have been clearer if they had used parallel possessives: LA's restaurants vs. any other city's restaurants.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:42 AM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can center the plate with anything you want.....ive had dessert as the main course before

being in the food business,,i keep up on some industry numbers/trends.....after much research,,

vegans/vegetarians are still only 5% of the population with at least 50% going back to eating meat..
and interestingly enough only 5% of food sales are organic food sales

and for some good news..... meat consumption is actually going up and is projected to be at all all time high in 2017 (over 200lbs per person ave. in the u.s.)

the increased consumption is credited to recent study's that meat is a great source of food (minerals) and is very healthy, also that the fat everyone thought was going to kill us has recently been debunked ...and that fats in meat do not raise cholesterol levels.

also the one diet that seems to work for most is a high protein low carb,,,,,,and that's still prevelant today as it was decades ago with the atkins diet.

today I do eat more veggies than in the past.... so I can feel trendy too

Vegetables as the 'main course' occur simply because they give a higher profit margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink