Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 10:40 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Well, the only thing I would eat from that list is scallops - so that would be top of the list and the others tied for the bottom.

This ^^^

top three would include scallops....especially bay scallops.

11 through 13 on a scale of one to ten would include oysters, squid and octopus.

I do have to admit to liking calamari....fried with a light batter....and sushi...nigiri...octopus or squid.....1 piece is enough, thank you very much!

Was in Korea at a formal dinner.....huge plate came out with six large hunks of 'seafood' on it....raw, or whatever.....one of which was squid. Had to put the hole thing in my mouth and swallow....no place on the plate to hide anything! Ugh. still remember it like it was yesterday. Just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 11:17 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bang for the buck? None of those are cheap.
Mussels and calamari are cheap. That's why they're on the appetizer menus of what feels like virtually every mid-level restaurant in the universe. Bang for the buck (impressive to guests/things people don't make for themselves at home, but profit margins are high), precisely. I can make a delicious bowl of brothy, flavorful mussels that would go for about $15 on a menu for about $5 spent on all of the ingredients at your average grocery store (live mussels are usually $2-$4/lb at the grocery).

I understand though; In the grand scheme of things, seafood is not "cheap," not french-fry cheap, anyway.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This ^^^

top three would include scallops....especially bay scallops.

11 through 13 on a scale of one to ten would include oysters, squid and octopus.

I do have to admit to liking calamari....fried with a light batter....and sushi...nigiri...octopus or squid.....1 piece is enough, thank you very much!

Was in Korea at a formal dinner.....huge plate came out with six large hunks of 'seafood' on it....raw, or whatever.....one of which was squid. Had to put the hole thing in my mouth and swallow....no place on the plate to hide anything! Ugh. still remember it like it was yesterday. Just not for me.
You eat them for texture not for taste, they're usually dipped or marinaded with sauce. Texture such as chewiness, slipperiness, or the protruding shapes of tentacles are preferred.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 PM

417 posts, read 345,607 times
1. Mussels
2. Scallops but they tie with mussels
3. Squid/ Octopus depends on how it's made some places get calamari right others get it really wrough
4. Oysters

It was a hard choice I love seafood to much. If I could I would just eat fish and seafood as a protein source.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:28 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I never order mussels at a restaurant. I just don't trust them to handle them properly. Anthony Bourdain once commented...

“…most cooks are less than scrupulous in their handling of mussels. More often than not, mussels are allowed to wallow in their own foul-smelling **** in the bottom of a reach-in.”

Old 04-10-2017, 01:47 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Anyone rank & say why? I love 'em all but what is BEST bang for $1.

Forgot to add; SCALLOPS too?
All the mentioned items are mollusks, the same as snails, which the French eat. Some of them are eaten raw, while they're still alive. What wouldn't a person eat, if they did that? They all rank off the bottom of my list.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:48 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Steve, you really should try them. They are delicious.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Calamari is a big bang for the buck, because you will be chewing it for hours.
You sir, win the internet for the week.

Congratulations.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post

Scallops
Oysters
Clams
Octopus
Mussels
Squid

Threw clams in there because I like them
ME TOO, because they are so tasty and delicious.

Octopus because they are so tasty and delicious, especially when basted in olive oil and tenderly grilled.
Squid because they are so tasty and delicious, especially when basted in olive oil and tenderly grilled.
Scallops because they are so tasty and delicious, fried, grilled, baked.
Mussels because they are so tasty and delicious, fried, grilled, baked, roasted.
Oysters meh, not so much, for me, they're just okay.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:18 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Clams, lobster and shrimp weren't even on the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Best of all such things is the body of a young squid stuffed with flying fish roe. Virtually nothing in the world that tastes better.

Than their is live scallops. Extraordinary.

Grilled oysters.

Clams...cooked or raw.

Lobster broiled.

Octopus alway boiled to be edible.

Had mussels that I liked only one in a cream sauce...never found it again.

And good old Japanese sweet shrimp where you eat the tail as the creature watches...then the front tempura-ed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink