Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times

Advertisements

I like Rosemary crushed up as one of a half dozen herbs/ spices in potato soup. I put about 2 tablespoons in it (large crock pot) it gives an overall aromatic essence to the broth that I rather like (along with sage, basil, black pepper, cayenne pepper, parsley, butter 1/2 stick and coconut butter. Between the Andouille turkey bits with its own spices and the sweet onion, celery, carrots and potatoes its very tasty.

I also second the usage of a little rosemary on top of a steak grilled medium well (depending on cut of meat). It's one of my favorite rotisserie chicken types (rosemary / lemon) when the local grocery stores do them in various ways. When I've traveled to where Albertson's are they always tend to have them.

Rosemary makes me think of an added name to that Mambo number 5 song... " A little bit of rosemary tastes just fine"

If anybody has a place named Herb's Tavern near them call them up and ask if they serve herbal drinks and teas, if they don't, say, "why don't you change your name then!" (feeling silly)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 08:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Rosemary can make or break a dish, and the proper amount can be critical.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Rosemary can make or break a dish, and the proper amount can be critical.
I think that can be said for every spice and herb.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I think that can be said for every spice and herb.
Not really. Fresh rosemary can easily overpower a dish, whereas an herb like fresh thyme is more subtle. I've ruined several dishes with too much rosemary and not one using any other spice or herb (well, except clove). A little too much rosemary in a seafood soup/stew, and it's terrible. I dump Indian and Moroccan spices/herbs in my dishes without even thinking about measuring the amount, and they always turn out great. The same with cilantro. Those, like me, who love cilantro don't mind a hefty amount in salsas or on Mexican-style tacos.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 04-10-2017 at 10:51 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 11:10 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
I'm sure I'd had rosemary with food before, but my first consciousness of the herb was when we visited my sister-in-law in Paso Robles about 15 years ago. We were swimming in her pool, and I smelled the most heavenly scent ever. It was from the rosemary plants that cascaded over the side of the pool.

We live in the east, and a rosemary plant comes in a 2" pot or maybe 6" tall and trimmed as a "Christmas tree" in December. I had never seen -- or smelled -- rosemary from plants that were 10 feet across and trailing at least 5 feet.

"Holy Cow!" is absolutely right! I totally get the reaction for the first time you've ever been really aware of rosemary. It's just a total joy. We still can't grow it, but I buy the fresh rosemary in the store or at the farmers' market. I put it on potatoes, lamb, chicken, game hens. Rosemary baked in bread is just unbelievably tasty.

Experiment! There are lots of resources online about how to use rosemary, but you'll think of other foods that it might go well with.

So happy for you that you've discovered and appreciate this marvelous herb.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:12 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Not really. Fresh rosemary can easily overpower a dish, whereas an herb like fresh thyme is more subtle. I've ruined several dishes with too much rosemary and not one using any other spice or herb (well, except clove). A little too much rosemary in a seafood soup/stew, and it's terrible. I dump Indian and Moroccan spices/herbs in my dishes without even thinking about measuring the amount, and they always turn out great. The same with cilantro. Those, like me, who love cilantro don't mind a hefty amount in salsas or on Mexican-style tacos.
Without getting into much back and forth, what I was saying holds true, too much of anything in a dish can ruin it. What you may think turns out great, might just be to you and yours. What you might think isn't too much cilantro, others might think otherwise. There are plenty of those, unlike you, who taste differently. I don't say any of this to be rude or as an ass hole, just as a Chef of 20+ years who has made a living of catering to customers tastes/palates, after years of catering to MY tastes. What YOU may like, or even LOVE, isn't a one size fits all to others.

A quick example: There are some, that by their biology, cilantro tastes like soap.

If you add too heavy a hand/pinch of any herb or spice, from salt to rosemary, yes, it CAN ruin a dish. Everyone has a different palate, and everyone has a different tolerance. Just because YOU like it, doesn't mean everyone else will...regardless of if they tell you they do.

Old 04-11-2017, 01:39 AM

Quote:
...What you may think turns out great, might just be to you and yours...as a Chef of 20+ years...
Yeah, what the heck do I know?
Quote:
...I don't say any of this to be rude or as an ass hole...
That's called "telegraphing."
Quote:
...A quick example: There are some, that by their biology, cilantro tastes like soap...
Do you read the posts in this forum? Your bit of "information" has been posted so many times that it has become cliché. That's why I qualified my statement with "Those, like me, who love cilantro..."

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 04-11-2017 at 01:59 AM..

Old 04-11-2017, 04:44 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,823,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Most of my rosemary usage is putting whole sprigs, butter, and lemon slices under the skin of a chicken pre-roasting, and sprinkling on potato slices prior to roasting.
I love the smell of rosemary and usually lay it on top of or underneath the chicken. Only time I've put it under the skin is when I chop it, mix with minced garlic and softened butter and put that all up under the skin. Yum.

Do you put whole sprigs under the skin with the lemon slices?

Old 04-11-2017, 06:22 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
That was my "pine tree stew" story at the bottom of the first page of this thread. Rosemary and salt are the two ingredients where if you use too much, you can destroy the dish. It's also pretty easy to make something inedible using hot pepper when someone at the table only eats bland food. My "it's a bit bright" ends up being "I can't eat this" to some people.

I like fresh cilantro leaves in a limited list of things. It's fine in Mexican-y things like salsa, fish tacos, guacamole, and ceviche. It's fine in Thai/Southeast Asian food. My girlfriend uses it as a salad ingredient and in other more traditionally western things where I'm not so wild about it.

Quote:
Yeah, what the heck do I know?

That's called "telegraphing."

Do you read the posts in this forum? Your bit of "information" has been posted so many times that it has become cliché. That's why I qualified my statement with "Those, like me, who love cilantro..."
I'd call it something other than "telegraphing".

Anyways, back on-topic:
There are food pairings where it's hard to imagine it without rosemary. Lamb is the obvious one. I use it frequently when baking something savory instead of sweet. In terms of what I tend to use, thyme is the clear #1 in winter cooking along with bay leaves. Basil is the clear #2 in the winter and then shifts to #1 with fresh basil leaves in the summer. Rosemary is a 2nd tier herb for me along with oregano and tarragon.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:26 AM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Rosemary is so versatile. I have used tiny bundles on charger plates, mashed it with salt, just let it sit in a jar of salt, used it as skewers, let the flowers sit in sugar, used it as grill brush, ... Have fun, enjoy, experiment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink