Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 04:38 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Say a Pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream or Haggan Daaz, do you eat the entire pint bucket or eat half and save for another time?

A co-worker was surprised that I normally eat about a half the pint and save it in the fridge. She says she always eat[s] and enjoy[s] the entire bucket.
I assume you have a spherical cow-orker?
"hey diddle diddle"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 05:38 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
Normally no. But in the past I have eaten a whole pint.

Old 04-15-2017, 06:02 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldmist View Post
A pint will last me months if it's just me. Well, not months, because of freezer burn, but I can't eat more than a spoonful or two at a time. I will usually eat a tiny scoop with some berries and call it a day. I usually make it halfway through the pack before there are too many ice crystals to deal. On the rare occasion I go to an ice cream shop, I'll share a child-size cup with my husband. It's not because we're watching calories, but because it's just too much sweetness for once. Sweet is a nice finishing touch for dessert, but I'd much rather fill up on nachos or something first if I'm going to be treating myself.
Unless it takes you a reeeallly long time to finish that pint, try putting a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the ice cream before you put the lid back on and return it to the freezer. It always did help to prevent the freezer burn when I used to buy a couple of half gallons with kids still living at home. (Had to buy more than one kind because of allergies)

Old 04-16-2017, 12:06 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Say a Pint of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream or Haggan Daaz, do you eat the entire pint bucket or eat half and save for another time?

A co-worker was surprised that I normally eat about a half the pint and save it in the fridge. She says she always eat and enjoy the entire bucket.
Pint? I wouldn't bother buying a pint. I buy ice cream by the half gallon, on the rare occasions I buy it. And then I get the sugar free.

Old 04-16-2017, 01:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
I've never NOT finished a pint! That's like eating only one Pop Tart and leaving the other one in the foil package, or eating one Twinkie and leaving its twin in the wrapper. It is a lot of calories but if I know I'm buying it I make room by not eating too heavy a main meal, or leaving enough time between dinner and ice cream to get a little hungry again.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Ice cream is not my favorite dessert but I still won't have it in the house. And I certainly wouldn't eat a whole pint or make it a meal substitute. The only sweets I keep in the pantry is a bag of Oreos for when my granddaughter comes to visit. I hate them enough that I know, no matter how bad my sweet craving gets, I won't eat them. :-)
hahaha Im the very same cant stand Oreos.. think their revolting but keep them for the grandkids.. I wouldnt thank you for an of those ice creams either, far too sickening and would never eat a whole tub of any ice cream..

Old 04-16-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I've never NOT finished a pint! That's like eating only one Pop Tart and leaving the other one in the foil package, or eating one Twinkie and leaving its twin in the wrapper. It is a lot of calories but if I know I'm buying it I make room by not eating too heavy a main meal, or leaving enough time between dinner and ice cream to get a little hungry again.
Kapha, despite eating the full "pint" of ice cream, I can only eat one toaster pastry and have no problem with it. I have never eaten a Twinkie. Never. Years ago, a dtr-in-law gave me one from a pack she had purchased because she "felt sorry for me". I took it home and put it on the counter. Tidying up one day, I tucked it in the cupboard where I forgot about it. One day during a real clean-out, I came across it and I still didn't give a rap about eating it so I threw it out.

As for the ice cream, I've got your back!

Old 04-16-2017, 12:54 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
That's me, too. I don't buy ice cream often, because it is my weakness. But when I'm craving it, I buy a pint of Rum Raisin Haagen Daz, and I'll eat the whole thing, usually instead of dinner. I can't image taking a spoonful or two and then returning it to the freezer.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,053 times
I buy Halo Top ice cream and it's only 280 calories for the whole pint but I still only eat a third or a half at once.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Okay, all this talk of Dulce de Leche made me curious, so today when I ran to the store, I picked up a 14 oz. "pint". Tomorrow, after my ham and yam dinner, I may give it a try. Just in the name of scientific testing you understand. I want to know if it beats B&J's New York Super Fudge Chunk.

I once had a slice of Dulce de Leche cake which did not live up to its hype, but I'll approach the Haagen Dasz with an open mind. Report to follow.

ETA: The funny thing in this whole thread is I neglected to mention that family members own an ice cream shop. Hard and soft ice cream. Featuring treats like Cheesecake Sundae, Peach Cobbler Sundae, Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwich, Hot Apple Pie Sundae, and various other concoctions and all of the baked stuff is homemade, not "store-boughten". The soft ice cream has a flavor of the week (this week it's Pistachio). And I've never gone there for ice cream!! What is wrong with me!?
Okay, as promised, I ate a lovely dinner and digested well. Time for dessert and the choice is...Dulce de Leche by Haagen Dasz. It's a nice little ending to a meal BUT it's not something I'll have again any time soon. I have always been a fan of chocolate ice cream. Vanilla never made my toes curl. Strawberry didn't make my skirt fly up. And Dulce de Leche didn't shiver me timbers. With all that being said, I can truly understand those of you who love it/crave it. Not everybody got in line when the Lord said, "Step over here if you want the Chocolate Gene."

While I give all credit to the differences among us, I'm sticking with my B&J New York Super Fudge Chunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink