Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times

Advertisements

Carbs are not bad, many carbs we eat today are bad because they've been converted and processed into bad carbs like sugar. It's better to get sugar indirectly than take in refined sugar directly.

Same with meats, the more we cook meats the worse off it is for you. Meats that are lightly cooked have less carcinogens and retains more nutrients.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 01:51 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Humans aren't the only species who like carbs. Show me a dog who doesn't beg for potato chips. Even cats, who are obligate carnivores who can derive no nutrition from them, love them. It's because they taste good.

Old 04-14-2017, 02:40 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
The carbs we know today are not the same as the carbs people ate hundreds of years ago. Do you think anything like Wonder Bread existed in 100 BC, 1400 AD, 1800 AD? Some of our food has been so genetically modified that it is unrecognizable as food sometimes. Compare Wonder Bread to Ezekiel bread which is sprouted grain, not the wheat most people are used to. Two completely different foods although they are both called bread.

As for craving carbs, when you stop eating processed carbs and sugar, you will stop craving it.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:52 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,644,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
The carbs we know today are not the same as the carbs people ate hundreds of years ago. Do you think anything like Wonder Bread existed in 100 BC, 1400 AD, 1800 AD? Some of our food has been so genetically modified that it is unrecognizable as food sometimes. Compare Wonder Bread to Ezekiel bread which is sprouted grain, not the wheat most people are used to. Two completely different foods although they are both called bread.

As for craving carbs, when you stop eating processed carbs and sugar, you will stop craving it.
That is so true. When you stop eating it, you stop craving it period. I stopped eating a lot of sugar years ago and I seldom crave it. And, I had a big sweet tooth. I grew up eating homemade sweets (as many people do).

I eat a cookie now and then or a graham cracker, a bit of sugar w/ cereal, but that's mostly it. Seldom eat desserts (they're a treat and once every few months). Don't crave bread either after I stopped eating it. Get it out of the house, stop eating it and in a month or more, you won't even miss it.

Old 04-14-2017, 03:57 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Carbs enough from plants to equate to the pastas and breads that so much of us crave? And is claimed that it is so bad for us?
No.
The pasta and bread are the ultra-refined cocaine of carbs that don't remotely resemble the carbs our ancestors ate.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
sugar..... is a treats...

I saw some videos years ago of some explorers giving candy bars to some tribes....
and they loved it!!!

I love ice cream, sweets.....and some breads..

and fruits,,

if I want to lose some pounds I cut out the carbs and it works,,,

do I crave carbs???

I avoid foods that are carb filled but yes they would taste really really good

and thank god most of us are carnivores/omnivores the homo vegan went extinct 80k yrs ago (starved to death)

Old 04-14-2017, 05:40 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,363,735 times
Starchy foods kept workers going all day with all the calories, back in the days when rice, potatoes, and pasta were staples. They still are in some parts of the world. If you're doing manual labour for 10 hours a day, the carbs are useful and the calories get burned off quickly. Kinda makes sense to me that way.

Old 04-14-2017, 06:28 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Starchy foods kept workers going all day with all the calories, back in the days when rice, potatoes, and pasta were staples. They still are in some parts of the world. If you're doing manual labour for 10 hours a day, the carbs are useful and the calories get burned off quickly. Kinda makes sense to me that way.
excellent post-very true,,

and cheap carbs potatoes and rice are

Old 04-15-2017, 01:42 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,020,153 times
Carbs are my energy....I don't care what anyone says. I made a cup of rice today for lunch, cooked with 2 beef bouillon cubes with the water, then drizzled with a little bit of low-sodium soy sauce. Kept me going all day. Yesterday, I had a baked potato with cheese, butter, salt and pepper for lunch. Again, kept me going.

I love my proteins, and I do eat them at breakfast and at dinner, but I swear I "keep going" better on a carb-heavy lunch. I think the problem that a lot of people have is their portion size. Of course, a dinner-size portion of chicken alfredo at Olive Garden over lunch -- along with salad, breadsticks and maybe even dessert -- is gonna make you sleepy.

Salads don't satisfy me at lunch, period, even with chicken in them. I need my carbs.

Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
If us humans are omnivores, but mostly carnivores in the centuries past(evolution) , why now do we like\crave carbs so much? ie: pastas, breads.
Where is the connection? If there is one.

Maybe we craved them then?
How did we get the carbs?
It seems by history buffs that we hunted and gathered.
Hunted meat and gathered plants to eat.

I think you answered your question. Maybe we started as hunters/gatherers but most of us evolved over thousands of years into omnivores, notwithstanding certain populations like Inuits who continue with a primarily high animal flesh diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink