Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2009, 04:55 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've been wanting to try Nigella's recipe for Ham cooked in Dr. Pepper for a long time, but it's only the two of us.. ham is too big for us!
Ask your butcher or meat dept to cut you a 1/4 ham or how about a couple of nice sized ham steaks?

I will still bake a whole or half ham just for 4-6 of us, we eat for dinner, leftovers then I cube it and can up the rest for later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 09:48 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Default If you do Easter dinner, what are you having?

I don't know if there is a post about this yet, I didn't see one on the front page so if there is, please let me know.

Just interesting to know and hear about everyone's traditions and maybe to learn a new dish or two to add to the old traditions.

So far our menu includes:

Ham
Cheesy Potatoes
Relish Tray
Green Salad
Rolls
A veggie dish or two (usually Green Bean Casserole and some Sweet potatos)
Not sure of the desserts yet.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:10 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I can't decide!

My in-laws (mother, father, sister, nephew) are coming for the weekend. They arrive tomorrow (Good Friday) and are leaving Monday morning. I am stumped about what to serve for Easter dinner. I'd serve ham, but my mother-in-law doesn't like it. My husband doesn't like lamb, and it's too expensive anyway. We're on a budget, so no fancy rib roasts. I'd grill some salmon, which everyone likes, but I'm making a spinach-smoked salmon salad for brunch. (It's not that expensive to make, believe it or not.) I even thought about making a lasagna, but that's probably what we're having on Saturday. I make mine with lots of veggies, though, and his dad hates broccoli.

For special family dinners, I like to serve something big that we cut up and share, not something that is already portioned. So a pork loin would be okay, but not pork chops. A salmon fillet would be okay, but not orange roughy. I'm just weird that way, I guess.

Maybe ... a turkey? Or maybe a pork roast, if they're on sale. I can't decide! I was hoping to come here for some inspiration!

Old 04-09-2009, 11:04 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I'd go with a turkey. Stuff it and serve it with a smile. These holiday dinners can get very expensive.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:31 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
My mom always did a ham with pineapple, cheesey potatoes (with the cornflakes on top), broccoli, rolls, cucumber salad, plenty of appetizers, etc.

This year I am doing lasagna, salad, garlic bread and friends are bringing apps and dessert.

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can't decide!

My in-laws (mother, father, sister, nephew) are coming for the weekend. They arrive tomorrow (Good Friday) and are leaving Monday morning. I am stumped about what to serve for Easter dinner. I'd serve ham, but my mother-in-law doesn't like it. My husband doesn't like lamb, and it's too expensive anyway. We're on a budget, so no fancy rib roasts. I'd grill some salmon, which everyone likes, but I'm making a spinach-smoked salmon salad for brunch. (It's not that expensive to make, believe it or not.) I even thought about making a lasagna, but that's probably what we're having on Saturday. I make mine with lots of veggies, though, and his dad hates broccoli.

For special family dinners, I like to serve something big that we cut up and share, not something that is already portioned. So a pork loin would be okay, but not pork chops. A salmon fillet would be okay, but not orange roughy. I'm just weird that way, I guess.

Maybe ... a turkey? Or maybe a pork roast, if they're on sale. I can't decide! I was hoping to come here for some inspiration!

I think a turkey sounds nice and easy to share! You could also do a small ham with a small pork loin for those who don't care for ham and just slice them up and serve both.

Lasagna sounds good. My DH makes the best so when he flies in next weekend that just might be a nice bit of comfort food for us, especially since he is only going to be here for 4 days. Some time is better than no time, though!

Old 04-09-2009, 03:10 PM

809 posts, read 3,568,565 times
Dessert? Here are some ideas:

Bunny Cakes: Cake Wrecks: An Easterly Wind is Blowing
Chick Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Chick Chicky Boom
Lamb Cakes: Cake Wrecks: Lamb-entations

Don't those make you hungry!? lol

Old 04-09-2009, 03:14 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
When we were still east with family I'd make a boned stuffed fresh ham. Inexpensive and delicious with garlic smashed potatoes, fresh asparagus (tis the season), candied carrots.

Desserts were always Italian pastries.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:27 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
I do the blanched, fresh asparagus wrapped in proscuitto (spelling?) ham, sprinkled with grated fresh parmasan cheese and baked until crispy. My kids don't think it's really Easter without this.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times
We'd usually have roast leg of lamb but I've done that three times recently so it's time for a change!

Everyone loves roast prime rib w yorkshire puds so that looks very likely! I'll be visiting the organic butcher on Saturday and see what he has that looks good - maybe even venison... but definitely NOT turkey.

O and we have to have hot cross buns and a panettone, which I may make a dessert with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink