Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,407,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Thinking of a fresh ham, boned and stuffed with garlic/parsley/parm cheese. Roasted potatoes, aspargus, candied carrots, salad,cheesecake.
May I please have this recipe...never heard of anything like it before but I'm tellin' ya now...I'll have to be figureing this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
That wouldn't be a good Passover meal though.

And, neither would crawfish be allowed at any other time in the year.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,053,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I noticed that does not matter what holiday, most Americans will eat turkey and ham...
This is also the most popular item in restaurant's "Holidays Buffet". I can't stand ham as a dish, however smoked/cooked ham as a cold cut, with horseradish is delicious!

I've read that Lamb was not normally available at Easter in colder climate Christian lands. However, it is much more traditionally associated with the Easter feast in Christianity worldwide than pork. To me lamb is to Easter... like turkey is to Thanksgiving.

As we say in my family "It is the lamb of God, not the ham of God".

Having said that I do like ham...just not at Easter.

Last edited by seattlerain; 04-23-2011 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
I've read that Lamb was not normally available at Easter in colder climate Christian lands. However, it is much more traditionally associated with the Easter feast in Christianity worldwide than pork. To me lamb is to Easter... like turkey is to Thanksgiving.
Lamb was served during the Passover Seder and will be served again after the Third Temple is built.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:11 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,373,774 times
I wanted to do lamb, however it was more expensive than last year so this year I am doing a tri tip[ roast.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:48 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I'm having my Easter celebration tomorrow instead of Sunday because my sisters will be spending Easter Sunday with their in-laws.

So far, I already have the ham baked and ready to go. One of my sisters is supposed to bring a quiche and the other one is supposed to bring a casserole of some kind (it's a surprise--I hope it's not an unpleasant one). A friend of my mom and her husband are coming over and she's bringing homemade chocolate cake and lemon bars for dessert.

As far as side dishes, so far rice pilaf and possibly sweet potatoes, but I'm not positive on that yet.

Happy Easter to everyone! Enjoy the day with your families and create those special memories.
OK, everyone--there were a few changes to the Easter brunch menu from the original one I wrote above. Instead of the quiche and casserole, one of my sisters brought homemade eggs Benedict and the other one brought homemade breakfast potatoes made with onions and bacon--yum!

As far as dessert, we still had the lemon bars but instead of chocolate cake, my mom's friend made a red velvet cake instead. Those items were over-the-top delicious!

A very pleasant time was had by all. The weather was perfect, too, which was an added bonus (sunny and 67F).

Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,378 times
I often make quiche for Easter. The one I made today was so fabulous, the best yet! Also we had ham, roast asparagus, & potatoes. Strawberries & bananas in (real) whipped cream for dessert.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 AM

973 posts, read 2,141,439 times
Ham, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes & gravy & rolls & butter. Wow, could we be any more cliche'? lol Though my 6 & 7 yo's kept thanking us for such a great dinner. lol Maybe I need to get ham for dinner more often.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
Default What foods will you be serving on Easter/Passover?

Easter Sunday will be at my house, same as last year. We used to go out for brunch but it was getting expensive and you felt rushed. I am making:
Chicken cordon bleu
Green bean casserole
Tossed salad
Corn in butter sauce
Homemade brioche muffins
Rice pilaf.
My SIL is making scalloped potatoes. For dessert not sure, maybe angel food cake or cheese cake.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,760,922 times
Honestly, I've not even thought about it. This year, I've been so busy, I've kind of forgotten about it. Since it will just be me and hubby, we probably won't do much. Maybe I'll just cook some nice filet mignons on the grill. My oven is not working properly these days, and I'm not going to get it repaired because we are planning on remodeling our kitchen, so it would be throwing money away. So that kind of limits what I can prepare. No Easter ham this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink