Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 06:18 PM

490 posts, read 838,022 times

Advertisements

For some reason, I have never taken to hot coffee. Hot chocolate is fine, but something about the way hot coffee tastes doesn't appeal to me. I don't hate it, but am not drawn to it either.

I do like iced coffee, coffee cake, coffee candies, coffee ice cream, and Vietnamese 4-short iced coffee, and I like the mocha smoothies at Costco.

I've heard about many benefits of coffee and was wondering if you all think they outweigh the potential harm?

Also, did you all immediately take to hot coffee?

Would I get the same benefits from iced coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 07:40 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
It's a learned taste, plain-coffee that is. Most people never really develop a liking for just coffee, because they are drinking things like coffee-milkshakes/crappuchinos from Starbucks and similar.

I drink black coffee with nothing added. I have been drinking it like this for a long time, the taste grows on you.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
If you don't like coffee, why bother?

If you want a hot beverage, there are plenty of others to choose from, and if you want caffeine, other sources exist as well.

I love coffee, always have. It wasn't an acquired taste. I dislike sweetened coffee, and coffee with non dairy creamer. I don't care for it with milk. Either heavy cream, half and half, or straight black.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:24 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
All I know about the cons is that after mid-life, it's not recommended, because the caffeine leaches calcium from your bones. Women especially have trouble maintaining bone density after 55 or 60, so caffeine is contra-indicated. I don't know if non-caf coffee's ok at that age.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:30 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Excess caffeine can also contribute to exacerbating breast cysts; women who have cystic breast tissue are typically recommended caffeine cutbacks as symptom treatment.

In certain pregnancies, caffeine is limited due to potential risk of preterm labor.

Most medical contraindications regarding coffee have to do with caffeine concentration, specifically.

Old 04-24-2017, 05:45 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If you don't like coffee, why bother?

If you want a hot beverage, there are plenty of others to choose from, and if you want caffeine, other sources exist as well.

I love coffee, always have. It wasn't an acquired taste. I dislike sweetened coffee, and coffee with non dairy creamer. I don't care for it with milk. Either heavy cream, half and half, or straight black.
totally agree. I have always loved my morning coffee, and yes, with cream. For those who don't, there are lots of other choices. Our oldest granddaughter get her caffeine from her Dr Pepper each morning. Some like hot tea, or even hot boulone. I can think of lots of drinks that can replace coffee for those who do not enjoy it. are noterbh

Old 04-24-2017, 05:55 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Coffee is more than caffeine and the benefits or drawbacks will depend on who is drinking it.

Here's two recent articles listing oth the pros and cons, with one emphasizing the pros more and the other the cons.

Drinking coffee - pros and cons from a medical perspective - NATURIMEDICA

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fe...ffeine-craze#2

Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
I did not like coffee until I was in my 30s. I prefer dark roast, and either plain black or with a bit of real cream or some coconut oil blended in (blended coconut oil makes it like a latte - I like the latte "texture"). I despise sweetened coffee.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
I started out in high school drinking it in the morning after late nights with a decent amount of milk and sugar. After college, I had my first "good" cup of coffee and that changed everything. Pre-ground coffee sitting in the fridge for weeks that's run through a cheap coffee maker , then sat on a hot plate needs every bit of milk and sugar it can get. Fresh ground coffee made correctly, needs nothing and is delicious. It's night and day.

I have one cup in the morning most days and MAYBE with a dessert at a holiday meal.

Old 04-24-2017, 06:50 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
When I was younger I hated coffee! Didn't like the taste at all! After my second child my husband suggested I try coffee with a flavored creamer or as he likes to say " a little coffee with my creamer"! Lol. I put so much creamer in it that it's white! I especially like the cold specialty coffees that are about a 1000 calories, but I try to only have them as a treat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink