Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times

Advertisements

Just an update:

Thanks everyone for such great suggestions: I did order a microplane via Amazon and OMG I can't believe how wonderful it is. I used it for the first time a few nights ago. Now I realize how much zest can be in one little lemon. I think, along with my air fryer I am in love again. Of course I don't love either as much as i love Spoiled brat on his good days. BTW, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but it wasn't expensive. I am thinking about $!2.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:17 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Any time a recipe calls for lemon, orange or lime zest I go through this......can't get the zest off my grater! It sticks in the holes and on the grate and I have to try to scrape it out of the blades with a fork. I get maybe 1/4 teaspoon if I'm lucky. I've tried all types of graters, and same thing, every time.

Is there a trick to this? When I watch cooking shows, the chefs always seem to have a substantial pile of the stuff to add to recipes. What am I doing wrong?
Are you using a box grater?

You need a micro grater for zesting. I use the Microplane 46020; it works perfectly and cleans up easily.

WOW... haha I looked up after posting from page 1 and viola, you went the microplane route. Heh, people are giving you good info.

Cheers

Old 05-23-2017, 10:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,451,518 times
I need to get one - I have 2 cakes and a batch of cupcakes I need to make for my Mom's birthday - they require Orange Zest. I've always hated doing it on the box grater - this will make it so much easier!

Old 05-23-2017, 10:35 AM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Just an update:

Thanks everyone for such great suggestions: I did order a microplane via Amazon and OMG I can't believe how wonderful it is. I used it for the first time a few nights ago. Now I realize how much zest can be in one little lemon. I think, along with my air fryer I am in love again. Of course I don't love either as much as i love Spoiled brat on his good days. BTW, I don't remember exactly how much I paid for it, but it wasn't expensive. I am thinking about $!2.
Glad you like it! It's also great for ginger and garlic (but be careful with the latter).

I've decided against the air fryer, but still undecided on the insta-pot. (But yesterday, I replaced our 4 year old, suddenly dead wifi router for one that was only $45 bucks delivered by Amazon Now in 3 hours. OMG what a difference. Life is good!)

Old 05-24-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Glad you like it! It's also great for ginger and garlic (but be careful with the latter).

I've decided against the air fryer, but still undecided on the insta-pot. (But yesterday, I replaced our 4 year old, suddenly dead wifi router for one that was only $45 bucks delivered by Amazon Now in 3 hours. OMG what a difference. Life is good!)
Thanks for the advise about garlic. I think I responded to a thread here a few months ago about garlic. I purchased a large amont from Sam's. I removed the skins which took a heck of a long time and several glasses of wine. but I got all the cloves removed and separated. I put them in my 4 cup food processor in batches, added a little Olive oil and crushed the mixture up. Then I put small amounts into tine plastic cups and froze them. I now have enough in the freezer to last probably 6 months.

As for the Air Fryer, I am sure you can lve without it and eventually if you change your mind, they may even be down in price.

Change of subject I guess but what would we do without Amazon?

Old 05-24-2017, 02:21 PM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Thanks for the advise about garlic. I think I responded to a thread here a few months ago about garlic. I purchased a large amont from Sam's. I removed the skins which took a heck of a long time and several glasses of wine. but I got all the cloves removed and separated. I put them in my 4 cup food processor in batches, added a little Olive oil and crushed the mixture up. Then I put small amounts into tine plastic cups and froze them. I now have enough in the freezer to last probably 6 months.
A tip for next time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y

Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
love it: can't wait to give it a try. The only problem I see, if it really is that fast I wouldn't have time or an excuse to drink so much wine while I was preparing the garlic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink