Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 03:05 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

You will not need to take the pan down to bare metal and re-season.

Wash it out with hot soapy water and a plastic scrubbie (I use the "Dobie" brand but I think another common one is "Chore Boy". Not Scotchbrite abrasive. Not steel wool. Doing so will remove the rancid grease but will not remove the seasoning.

Rinse it with hot water.

Dry it with a tea towel.

Declare victory.

I swear, if our grandmothers who used a cast iron skillet for everything had done all the ridiculous cast iron cookware voodoo people trot out, they would never have gotten anything else done!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:25 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
You almost can't ruin cast iron...
Hi, Jim. Mine rusted after several years in storage. I did everything I could at home, but I'm a girl with not much upper body strength, so when it comes to scouring off rust with elbow grease, I was exhausted after hours & it made little difference. One looked okay, but everything tasted like iron. I recently relocated, so would have had to leave them behind anyway, so it's fine.

In any event, none of it was superior quality or pricey... all Lodge. Maybe someday I'll get another Dutch oven. Nothing better than a roast & potatoes in a cast iron pot. Right now, I live in a 4th floor walk-up... I'm not going to carry one up the stairs.

Sounds like you've got a lovely collection. I'm sure your son will love your gift. At the moment, I've got to economize & live minimalistically.

Thanks for the help, Everyone.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:28 AM

3,099 posts, read 2,002,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You will not need to take the pan down to bare metal and re-season.
It's all gone now, Turf. As mentioned in the last 2 posts, I won't invest in it again, but thank you. This was my post from 1-yr ago... the pans weren't salvageable, but it's irrelevant, cuz in moving, I'd have to have left them behind regardless of outcome. You'll have to read the past posts.

Thanks for your help.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:14 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I soak my cast iron in very hot soapy water for about 15 minutes- no longer, scrub it with a metal scrubby, and then dry it thoroughly with a paper towel. If there are any dull spots on the surface, I rub a tiny amount of vegetable oil on it before i put it away. It came pre seasoned, and the finish has stayed very well despite my not babying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink