Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:48 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times

Advertisements

and for you people bashing their meat.........

I worked 19 years in a Midwest packing plant and we supplied a lot of beef that went to McDonalds .

The same kind of beef that we got contracts to sell to the US Govt .
The same kind of beef that major supermarket chains put massive orders in for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
One problem is I have a close friend who LOVES going out to eat at fast food joints because it's cheap and he doesn't cook much. Literally, everyday, sometimes, twice a day he will go out to eat. Surprisingly, he isn't too overweight because of it. So every time I hang out with him, we usually go to a cheap fast food joint. We hang out maybe 2 or 3 times a week.

I think the fast food is making me sick though. I notice when I don't eat it for a few days, my stomach feels less bloated and my nose doesn't itch as much. And I also feel like I have more energy and more alert.
It's poison. You're right, it's making you sick.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:20 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
and for you people bashing their meat.........

I worked 19 years in a Midwest packing plant and we supplied a lot of beef that went to McDonalds .

The same kind of beef that we got contracts to sell to the US Govt .
The same kind of beef that major supermarket chains put massive orders in for.
They may order the same meat; maybe hamburgers are 100% meat. They use synthetic non-food ingredients in the buns though. I've seen studies of Taco Bell and places like that with only a certain percentage of their "meat" being actual meat.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Yes, fast food is making you ill. The only people who don't notice it are people who eat it so frequently that they think the queasy, bloated feeling they constantly have is normal. It's similar to smokers who don't realize they always feel horrible.
( 1st sentence) Even a doctor couldn't make that diagnose just by reading the symptoms on an internet

Old 05-06-2017, 12:50 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Fast food is inexpensive.

McDonalds has .."Pick2 for $5"

Where else can you get 2 quarter pounders for $5 and Senior coffee is only $.65.

add in the savings of not having to tip and the difference is great.

Agreed.

We go to Carl Jr's for their 4 for $4 promotion twice a year. We each get a sandwich and split the french fries and drink. It is enough for the two of us ... and then we get the 10% senior discount.

We occasionally do to El Pollo Loco for their tostada bowl and beverage for $5.

Having said that, many of the local taquerias offer $5.95 and $6.95 specials that include a full plate and are a lot better deal than many fast food deals. And several of the carneceria offer lunch counters with soup and plates for under $7.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:23 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no kidding, what do they do intentionally shop for bad tomatoes?
For starters, tomatoes aren't always in season. Americans have a strange expectation for red/ripe tomatoes year-round which is impossible, especially since most are picked unripe and "ripened" in transit from Mexico or other faraway places. Also throwing in the fact that most fats food restaurants could care less and slice up whatever is delivered. Weird considering would we be expected to eat and be happy with an unripened anything else presented on our plate?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:48 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,894,388 times
Eating a lot of fast food is not healthy as most of it is high in saturated fats and simple sugars.

I am vegetarian and generally eat healthy. I treat myself once a month to a Nachos bel Grande (minus the meat) from Taco Bell. It doesn't make me sick and it's in moderation. It's like anything else--okay once in a while but don't make a habit of it.

Your symptoms suggest that you might be sensitive to one or more of the ingredients in the fast food. Actual food allergies are fairly rare but food sensitivities are not that unusual. You can try non-food activities with this friend or see if you can steer them towards perhaps a diner or a healthier option like Panera.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:30 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For starters, tomatoes aren't always in season. Americans have a strange expectation for red/ripe tomatoes year-round which is impossible, especially since most are picked unripe and "ripened" in transit from Mexico or other faraway places. Also throwing in the fact that most fats food restaurants could care less and slice up whatever is delivered. Weird considering would we be expected to eat and be happy with an unripened anything else presented on our plate?
maybe people who eat fast food don't know what tomatoes should taste like? I have no idea but I can buy far superior tomatoes year round in the grocery store than you get at fast food places.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:42 PM

534 posts, read 488,934 times
What are you ordering when you eat 'fast food', and how much are you eating? Fast food is an umbrella term for a type of eating establishment. If you've been making food choices that don't agree with you, but you still want to meet your friend there and share a meal, surely those two things can be in harmony.

I rarely eat fast food, usually only if I run out of food on road trips, so my recommendations might be outdated, but the general idea is to figure out what doesn't agree with you, and order around it. For me, I don't like the way processed vegetable oils or super processed carbs make me feel.

So if I had to eat at McDonald's, I'd order the grilled chicken salad. The flavor of the chicken and the cheese is enough for me that I don't use the dressing packet, but if I did, I'd use just enough to get the flavor impact, not the whole packet.

If I'm at Wendy's, I order a bowl of the chili. Maybe the baked potato, too, and then I pour the chili over the potato.

At Chipotle, I order the burrito bowl, salad style. So all the burrito fixings (I usually choose chicken, pinto beans, guacamole, salsa, cheese) are on top of a bed of lettuce.

A drink is always either unsweetened iced tea or water or black coffee.

Your milage may vary. Just experiment with what really makes you feel unwell and choose other options. It's less about the restaurant and more about you knowing your body and what you want to put in it, while still sharing food time with friends who have different food preferences. You're in control!

Old 05-06-2017, 05:55 PM

29,511 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
I KNOW fast food makes me sick.

I wanted to try a McDonald's shamrock shake for the first time ever, because it was being advertised as mint-chocolate, my favorite ice cream flavor.

We were coming back from a trip, & I ordered one. Within an hour, I vomited twice. The trip home was 2 hours & I was in a coma-like state for the rest of the trip. It reminded me of when I had a near-fatal kidney infection...in fact, that is what I thought was happening. I vaguely remember stopping on the roadside at least 2 more times to vomit.

The diarrhea did not start, thankfully, until I just got in the door of the house. I won't describe that, except to say I thought something had died inside me...you get my drift. I vomited about 6 more times. to the point of dry heaves.

I had a fever of 100.5F, ached all over, & did not feel OK for 2 days.

So, McDonald's, and all fast food, buh-bye, sorry I ever let my kids eat that crap.
Sounds more of a case where you had a bad batch of milkshake or food poisoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink