Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 09:03 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I did too! But it was making me ill. I have never been able to process it well. When I gave it up I dropped 20 pounds almost overnight and all of my "irritable bowel" symptoms magically disappeared. I was actually undergoing all these tests for ulcerative colitis when one of the nurses just said offhand "have you tried giving up beef? Sometimes patients can't tolerate it." So I did and she was right.

I have never ever liked pork, so that was much easier.

I am not the biggest fan of chicken and actually eat a lot of Beyond Meat and other meat substitutes which can be downright tasty. I eat chicken mostly because there are few fish or veggie options at many restaurants, and I try not to make others conform to my food choices. If I am at a dinner party or wedding, there is usually some kind of chicken dish. I eat less chicken than I do anything else.
I am not a true vegetarian because I occasionally do eat fish, like salmon or cod, pretty much for the same reasons. That's especially when I am out to eat and there really aren't healthier choices (if it comes down to salmon and a salad or something like fettucine Alfredo, salmon is going to win.) Or just because it's a special occasion. My BIL treats everyone in the family to a brunch on Mother's Day. They had this killer salmon with pineapple salsa, and I ate that along with all the vegetables and fruits and wild rice and pasta and the assorted cheeses. And my vegan daughter had an "encounter with dairy day", as she terms it, and ate cheese.

My niece and her husband her primarily vegetarians, but they believe in being pragmatic. She has an allergy to anything in the onion family, which makes it nearly impossible to eat at a restaurant. So, on one occasion, she ate a few slices of turkey breast and a salad because there were onions and garlic in everything else.

There is no reason to make a big deal of one's vegetarianism.

That is interesting about the beef and your health. I'd never heard that before.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
I went out to lunch with a few coworkers recently. I'm gluten intolerant, and have been gluten free for more than 3 years. It's a pain in the ass, but I've learned how to live with it, and try not to make a big deal.

As the waiter was seating us, I quietly asked him if they had a GF menu. They didn't. No problem.

One of my more annoying coworkers uttered a snide "gotta have her special menu." I didn't say anything. Just let it go.

When it came time to order, I had three options in mind that I felt had a good chance of being GF. I was the last to order ... I explained to the waiter that I'm GF, and asked if the first option was safe for me. It wasn't. I asked about the second option. It was safe. Excellent. I'd like that please.

Annoying coworker: "There goes Hertfordshire. Always have to make a big show of being gluten free."

Me: "Actually, I try very hard NOT to make a big show. But I have to be careful or I will get sick."

AC: "No you won't. It's all a fad. Unless you have celiac, gluten isn't going to make you sick."

Me: "I can't imagine that anyone would want to subject themselves to this life for as long as I have for a fad. I know what makes me sick and what doesn't. And ultimately, I'm responsible for my own well being. If it bothers you that much, we don't have to dine together in the future."

At this point, another coworker (whose daughter has food allergies) started to applaud. LOL

I certainly won't miss eating out with a sanctimonious ahole.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:39 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In another instance, I have a friend who is diabetic. If she sees that I ate two carbs at the same meal, say, corn and potatoes, she will lecture me. "You're eating TWO carbs! That's not good for you."

No, it's not good for YOU, because you're a friggin' diabetic, but I am not. And how do you explain that, half an hour after you eat your one-carb meal, you're in that bag of pretzels, hmmm?
^^ Did you say that to HER?

Old 05-17-2017, 09:41 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I like the last one the best -- you're tacky and I hate you. And it's so versatile! Lecture me on food? You're tacky and I hate you. Tell me that I'm dressed like a slob? You're tacky and I hate you. Yell at me for talking too loudly? You're tacky and I hate you.

OP, some people just *love* hearing themselves talk, especially when they know everything. You know what those people *hate*? Your silence. (Well, after you say "you're tacky and I hate you.") Seriously, I find that silence is often rewarded with the same.
That's funny but I think I will look at the list for another option. But it is funny! I shall use as a joke with friends.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Hertofrdshire,

It's obvious that this is about her deficiencies and not at all about you. There is something going on with her that makes her feel lacking in the attention department. Sure the way she talks and treats you is wrong and it is upsetting, you have every right to feel the way that you do. But, this is in no way about you. She has issues.

Sorry you had to deal with her. You can't fix her issues but you can set boundaries for her behavior when she is around you. Or she won't get to have lunch with you anymore. Plain and simple. At least it would be with me if she was my co-worker. One more of those little episodes and she would be eating alone.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
That's funny but I think I will look at the list for another option. But it is funny! I shall use as a joke with friends.
Oh, I'd never SAY it... except with friends (as you said) with a grin on my face. Gotta know your audience when it comes to the comeback. Hmmm, that applies to the original issue as well.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:16 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Oh, I'd never SAY it... except with friends (as you said) with a grin on my face. Gotta know your audience when it comes to the comeback. Hmmm, that applies to the original issue as well.
Yeah, to anyone else one would sound crazy! Histrionic much? lol. Perfect for friends. I'm replacing 'You bother me' with this straight away

Old 05-17-2017, 10:20 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,755,652 times
Hilarious!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0O_VYcsIk8

Old 05-17-2017, 10:41 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
I had a bachelor neighbor farmer.
Very frugal and quite well off financially.

Slim man in his early 60's who liked to lecture people about being very careful what they ate. He was even more adamant that nearly all drink ( coffee, tea, soda ) was very harmful.

A few years back he was not feeling well and his nephews urged him to get checked out as he was having stomach pains.

Diagnosis was terminal pancreatic cancer.

He returned home, went on hospice, and died a very humble man 4 weeks later.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:08 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
^^ Did you say that to HER?
Yup!

She is a person who needs to be spoken to the way she speaks to others.

I bring those pretzels up a lot. They are either the pretzel goldfish when they go on sale 3 for $5, or they are the honey pretzel twists from the dollar store. She always has an open bag by the chair where she reads. I only bring them up when she says things such as above or when she brags about never eating tortilla chips.and salsa "like you do".

Then I get to hear the story of how her 13-year-old granddaughter spent the night and ate two Devil Dogs without asking. Hehehe.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-17-2017 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink