Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I went around and around with a Vegan about whether growing up our eggs were truly cruelty free. She kept trying to tell me all the terrible things even people like my father raising them did I was like really? You were there? We didn't do a one of those things - but I had to counter each one specifically because she is brainwashed from her own propaganda.

I agreed from the start that all factory farms suck. But we were not even a farm. It's exhausting.
The problem is the Internet and people believing whatever they read there without questioning.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I went around and around with a Vegan about whether growing up our eggs were truly cruelty free. She kept trying to tell me all the terrible things even people like my father raising them did I was like really? You were there? We didn't do a one of those things - but I had to counter each one specifically because she is brainwashed from her own propaganda.

I agreed from the start that all factory farms suck. But we were not even a farm. It's exhausting.
brainwashed from her own propaganda,,,, this is very true!!

its funny,,,,one of the last gatherings at a restaurant... someones birthday .. we were all sitting around the table looking at the menu and my sister pipes up....im still on a diet I think I will eat light,,,just a salad....and three other women chimed in about the same...
and then one of them said,,,well, I feel better because its what we SHOULD do but I'm going to indulge today .... then they all did !!

food is one of lifes rewards...eat what you like eat what you want,,

Old 05-18-2017, 11:36 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,126,936 times
I didn't see it as complaining, but sharing. I make my own decisions on what I eat and drink, but I am always willing to listen to whatever someone has to say. One would be surprised that by listening to others, they may even find out something of value. I don't have a paranoia about what others think either which helps tremendously!

Old 05-18-2017, 12:10 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I didn't see it as complaining, but sharing. I make my own decisions on what I eat and drink, but I am always willing to listen to whatever someone has to say. One would be surprised that by listening to others, they may even find out something of value. I don't have a paranoia about what others think either which helps tremendously!
I think a lot depends on how it's presented. There's a difference between "you know, I read something recently that suggested [insert dietary theory]" and saying "you really shouldn't eat [insert type of food] because it's going to kill you."

Old 05-18-2017, 01:29 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
This problem applies to many more areas of life than diet, but you are correct. In short, people of the last two generations have somehow got it in their heads that my business and your business is their business. It's a simple rule learned in kindergarten that needs to be relearned by most...MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS". My life is not up for subjection to someone else's entitled ideas of being able to tell me what they think is good for me. My favorite question to end these useless conversations is, "um, who are you?"...usually nixes it right there.

I think social media exacerbates this. Cause...well...your business IS my business, (If you post to social media) because you put it out there, and MY business is YOUR business, because I put my business out there.

In real life...I guess we all have that one friend, that one family member or co-worker who's the know-it-all, and will impart their wisdom on the unsuspecting. lol

Old 05-18-2017, 01:42 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
I have a neighbor who constantly comments on food choices, and how she ONLY buys organic. Her children have never been vaccinated because of the dangers of the unknown chemicals in the vaccines. She has self-diagnosed her family as "gluten-intolerant," allergic to red dye, and some other food sensitivities.

I can't stand when she starts recommending what we should eat.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:33 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Another one I've come across is people who get upset if you use salt. They think it CAUSES high blood pressure in people who have normal BP.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:08 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have a neighbor who constantly comments on food choices, and how she ONLY buys organic. Her children have never been vaccinated because of the dangers of the unknown chemicals in the vaccines. She has self-diagnosed her family as "gluten-intolerant," allergic to red dye, and some other food sensitivities.

I can't stand when she starts recommending what we should eat.
ive got an organic neighbor too....they are like the jehovahs of the food world

they keep going and going .

Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
I don't care, I eat what I think is best for me.....you eat all the reeking-tofu
or polenta-crusted asparagus you want.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 PM

277 posts, read 327,966 times
There's a certain segment of the population who knows what's best for everyone.

They've plenty of unsolicited advice, the begin sentences with " You SHOULD - " blah, blah blah.

They do this as they're arrogant, self righteous individuals who really do believe you should do as they say. Many of them are also control freaks - it's a lovely mixture.

Have had to deal with such people in the past but with few exceptions have cut them all from my life. Perfect strangers who chime in with their opinions get an earful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink