Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM

3,248 posts, read 2,457,038 times

Advertisements

This seems to be the one social area where no one thinks pointing out someone's choices as "bad" is taboo.

I had a vegan lecture me about cheese.

Drink coffee? A neighbor spent 20 minutes haranguing me for using Equal.

In my office, we had to make sure that one microwave was nowhere near the gluten free lunch of one of my colleagues (who then proceeded to lecture everyone on how gluten rich diets lead to dementia...)

And I don't eat beef or pork which certain people can and will not accept, so I often get a lecture on why its TERRIBLE not to eat beef or pork like a regular person.

I never comment on what anyone else eats, unless its my boyfriend stealing the last piece of sushi.

Why do people think its okay to complain about what others choose to eat (or not to eat)?

Old 05-16-2017, 03:43 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
It's very rude. I'd just smile and say "You go your way and I'll go mine," as I was backing away, then look incredulous if the conversation continues.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM

761 posts, read 604,811 times
One man's meat is another man's poison.

I think people do it to protect someone, and they think they are helping.

Its something like offering a hand to someone who has fallen.

Its annoying, I know, but I do think its also similar to sharing helpful advice
(even though you might not have wanted it).

It is done with good intentions. Certainly not to anger you.

...but your point is well taken.

here are some snappy answers you can offer in the future (and they're funny too!):
15 Flawless Responses You Can Give When Someone Thin-Shames You | Gurl.com

Old 05-16-2017, 04:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidaldream View Post

here are some snappy answers you can offer in the future (and they're funny too!):
15 Flawless Responses You Can Give When Someone Thin-Shames You | Gurl.com
I like the last one the best -- you're tacky and I hate you. And it's so versatile! Lecture me on food? You're tacky and I hate you. Tell me that I'm dressed like a slob? You're tacky and I hate you. Yell at me for talking too loudly? You're tacky and I hate you.

OP, some people just *love* hearing themselves talk, especially when they know everything. You know what those people *hate*? Your silence. (Well, after you say "you're tacky and I hate you.") Seriously, I find that silence is often rewarded with the same.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:18 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
"Opinions are like axxholes. Everybody's got one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks."

Simone Elkeles

Old 05-16-2017, 05:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Hmmm....I seem to enjoy learning ....So if another adult shares information involving the nourishment...I listen.
I rarely miss an opportunity to learn something new every day!
I get it though if it's a condescending method. How it's conveyed .

Pontificating does drain a person...

Old 05-16-2017, 05:56 PM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Hmmm....I seem to enjoy learning ....So if another adult shares information involving the nourishment...I listen.
I rarely miss an opportunity to learn something new every day!
I get it though if it's a condescending method. How it's conveyed .

Pontificating does drain a person...

Yes, I agree. All depends how it's done, but I do to like to learn something new just about anything. Lots of people enjoy to discuss things. Lots of people are unaware of things others know a lot about.
Listening to preaching is one thing, having a casual conversation about things is another.
Not interested? - just walk away....
However, I do get tired of tirades and people who try to convert me to their own belief system. No matter if that's politics, religion, food, health regimes, exercises etc. What is it with people who think that their preference in food makes them somehow superior to those around them? I guess, it's just one of those things that makes some people feel better about themselves.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:00 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
This seems to be the one social area where no one thinks pointing out someone's choices as "bad" is taboo.

I had a vegan lecture me about cheese.

Drink coffee? A neighbor spent 20 minutes haranguing me for using Equal.

In my office, we had to make sure that one microwave was nowhere near the gluten free lunch of one of my colleagues (who then proceeded to lecture everyone on how gluten rich diets lead to dementia...)

And I don't eat beef or pork which certain people can and will not accept, so I often get a lecture on why its TERRIBLE not to eat beef or pork like a regular person.

I never comment on what anyone else eats, unless its my boyfriend stealing the last piece of sushi.

Why do people think its okay to complain about what others choose to eat (or not to eat)?
Because being lecture-y and sanctimonious is common to people who choose niche lifestyles. And to people who don't mind their own business, in general. If I ask, tell me your opinion. If I don't, what makes you think I want it?

I have been given the hairy eyeball for being a pregnant woman carrying a coffee cup (no, nobody asked what was in it).

I had some vegan on a food forum where the discussion was on a method of cooking eggs lecture me on the evils of factory farmed chickens. When I posted pics of my own chickens running around freely in the grass, she then posted that that my free-range chickens were no less evil. Meh, whatever. Why is a vegan even trolling a foodie discussion about cooking eggs, anyway?

I don't use artificial sweeteners, or butter substitutes, or milk substitutes. I use sugar, butter, and full-fat milk. My husband drinks skim, uses non-butter spreads, and only uses sucralose. Whatever, we don't harangue one another. Who cares?

Old 05-16-2017, 06:39 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Because being lecture-y and sanctimonious is common to people who choose niche lifestyles. And to people who don't mind their own business, in general. If I ask, tell me your opinion. If I don't, what makes you think I want it?

I have been given the hairy eyeball for being a pregnant woman carrying a coffee cup (no, nobody asked what was in it).

I had some vegan on a food forum where the discussion was on a method of cooking eggs lecture me on the evils of factory farmed chickens. When I posted pics of my own chickens running around freely in the grass, she then posted that that my free-range chickens were no less evil. Meh, whatever. Why is a vegan even trolling a foodie discussion about cooking eggs, anyway?

I don't use artificial sweeteners, or butter substitutes, or milk substitutes. I use sugar, butter, and full-fat milk. My husband drinks skim, uses non-butter spreads, and only uses sucralose. Whatever, we don't harangue one another. Who cares?
Voice of reason right there.

Some people preach because their ego thinks it is God.
Unsolicited opinion is just the voice of the ego.
I'm a common sewer of fine food and will try anything.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:05 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Voice of reason right there.

Some people preach because their ego thinks it is God.
Unsolicited opinion is just the voice of the ego.
I'm a common sewer of fine food and will try anything.
Agreed! The ego gets in the way of their influence. We all know lecturing isn't the best way to motivate others to change their behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink