Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 06:43 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
wtf?
Right? Where are we? When are we?

Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
I have mixed emotions on this. Some people are so cheap that they cause hardships for other people. Splitting one $10 meal and only ordering water to drink would possibly be that cheap. On the other hand, I don't want to be told what to do or nickeled and dimed to death. I often order water to drink because I don't need the calories from soda and I can't handle the caffeine in tea because it keeps me awake at night. Some places have such large portions that I prefer to share with another person particularly if I am watching my calories and don't want the temptation to overeat. I'm not ok with wasted food or overeating because the restaurant doesn't want me to share. The restaurant doesn't get to dictate my eating habits. If I don't want a full meal, then I'm not ordering one. I'm not buying an unhealthy drink I don't want either.

Rather than telling people not to share, the restaurant would better off reworking the menu and putting a sign up at the front door that says 'new menu... please read carefully... options have changed'. They can add replating fees, a nominal charge for water or charge for the rolls or chips. If the size of the side salad has changed, then maybe the sizes need to noted as a plate size or ounce size. Or maybe the restaurant needs to offer half portions. It's on the restaurant to make the change in as non offensive manner as possible. The change may weed out some customers. Like someone else said the truly cheap customers probably need to go anyway.

Old 05-28-2017, 12:02 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Weird.

DH and I will frequently split a main course, usually it is way too much food. Never had anyone charge or deny us.

I think I would get up and leave.

We especially do this when travelling - I am tired of huge plates of food, very few people need that many calories. The smaller portions allow us to add an app or dessert if we are so inclined (I like variety). So in that case we are ordering things we wouldn't normally, so the restaurant doesn't lose out..... but if they were going to be jerks they would, because we would eat somewhere else.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-28-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 05-28-2017, 12:12 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Mod Note:

I think some people are missing the OP's point. It wasn't about being charged for a plate to share two entree's. It was a charge for a plate to share one entree between two people. Flamingo13 has it correctly.

Old 05-29-2017, 06:27 AM

88,508 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Weird.

DH and I will frequently split a main course, usually it is way too much food. Never had anyone charge or deny us.

I think I would get up and leave.

We especially do this when travelling - I am tired of huge plates of food, very few people need that many calories. The smaller portions allow us to add an app or dessert if we are so inclined (I like variety). So in that case we are ordering things we wouldn't normally, so the restaurant doesn't lose out..... but if they were going to be jerks they would, because we would eat somewhere else.
I think, and it has already been said on this thread, that a restaurant probably doesn't mind too much the scenario you described. Yes, you are splitting an entree, but you also ordered an appetizer or dessert. Appetizers are not cheap. Sometimes people order appetizers or cobble together a meal of sides, but in the end it costs as much as an entree.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:55 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
IF we are so inclined.

Not really big on the idea of a restaurant enforcing how much food we should get - that's up to us.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-29-2017, 10:06 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
We always share dishes. Me and my wife will always order 2, sometimes 3 dishes and then ask for extra plates so we can share everything. We've never had problems. Maybe some upscale restaurants won't allow 2 people sharing one plate, and I could understand that, but I've never seen a restaurant not allow plate sharing.

I own a Chinese restaurant and dishes are meant to be shared, we get lots of people who share one dish for 2 people. I have absolutely no problem with that. Even if there is only one person at a table. They get the entree plate, bowl of rice, and an extra plate to put their food on.
The thread isn't about food served family style and intended by a type of presentation to be shared. It's about a dining party of multiple people purchasing a meal plated for a single diner.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The thread isn't about food served family style and intended by a type of presentation to be shared. It's about a dining party of multiple people purchasing a meal plated for a single diner.
Isn't it weird how so many people didn't get that?

Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
IF we are so inclined.

Not really big on the idea of a restaurant enforcing how much food we should get - that's up to us.
I don't know if I agree completely with that. You are going to a restaurant to purchase whatever it is they have to offer. If what they sell and base their business and profit margin on is a large portion of food per person, that's what you are buying when you go into an establishment that sells food that way.

The choice you have is to patronize a restaurant that offers portions of food that match your preference.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you want to dine at a particular place, but it's not up to you to tell them to run their business differently from how they established it.

Old 05-29-2017, 03:15 PM

15,141 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Many (well, mostly) reads the actual OP and just goes off on something that isn't related that was posted.

Buy an entree per person - or have an app. as dinner (I've never had a problem with that) - don't cheap out and want one entree split between two, then complain about it, want extra plates, etc. (and I've seen that some still think that a 10% tip is "generous"). If I can't take the leftover food due to circumstances, I'll get an appetizer as my meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.