Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 04:26 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times

Advertisements

Are there some burning questions you all have about the happenings in restaurants that you could never get an answer to...or wanted clarification on?

Inquiries about food and drink myths regarding specific brands and/or types? Are they really myths?

Post you questions and musings herein this repository of food & beverage secrets revealed lol
I'm sure at least one of these experts can clear up the mysteries...

I'll start...

...how do restaurants keep fish that aren't native to that area, and are out season on the menu? And how are they ready to cook so fast?

At first I thought the fish are flash frozen and stored, but it would seem like it'd take too much time to unthaw it. Unless there's some super defrosting microwave that's used...

Or they're using Amazon Prime...

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Last edited by Beretta; 05-27-2017 at 06:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 04:31 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
They keep it frozen except for what they expect to use in that night's service. They thaw only that amount and when it runs out, it's out for that service and they'll thaw more tomorrow.

if it's a breaded & fried item, they can purchase it already breaded and frozen and fry it directly from the freezer.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:45 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,900,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
They keep it frozen except for what they expect to use in that night's service. They thaw only that amount and when it runs out, it's out for that service and they'll thaw more tomorrow.

if it's a breaded & fried item, they can purchase it already breaded and frozen and fry it directly from the freezer.
how can they anticipate how many types of fish to purchase and freeze? I've had fish at a restaurant that had been out of season for months (there's no expiration date on frozen fish I guess?) ... and it's only fished hundreds of miles from that area... it was on my table in 15 minutes tops.

I'm still not connecting the dots. How do restaurants thaw the fish so quickly? Are you saying it's done before lunch, during prep time? Or is there some quick thaw method I'm not aware of? Using near boiling water to thaw?

Old 05-27-2017, 05:30 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
how can they anticipate how many types of fish to purchase and freeze? I've had fish at a restaurant that had been out of season for months (there's no expiration date on frozen fish I guess?) ... and it's only fished hundreds of miles from that area... it was on my table in 15 minutes tops.

I'm still not connecting the dots. How do restaurants thaw the fish so quickly? Are you saying it's done before lunch, during prep time? Or is there some quick thaw method I'm not aware of? Using near boiling water to thaw?
Maybe they don't thaw it. They cook it from frozen. I cook fish at home like that all the time. Fish doesn't take long to cook.

They anticipate how much fush to buy and freeze by looking at what they normally sell.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post

Yes, they thaw earlier. An experienced restaurateur will have a reasonably accurate idea of how many of X will sell any typical night, so they prep that much of X (or thaw, in the case of frozen fish) and they hope to sell it out by the end of the evening's service. Sometimes there's a run on certain dishes and they sell out early. Sometimes it doesn't catch the dining public's attention and it's served the next day for family meal.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:15 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,406,825 times
to be honest I rarely wonder about anything when I go out to eat except how they made it ( I always want the recipe.) I never ask them though.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:50 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
un-thaw = frozen

my only word pet peeve- half of mainers use it to mean thaw

many fish items are bought iqf (individually quick frozen) and this is or can be much better tasting and more sanitized than fresh,,

fresh fish has only 2 day fresh shelf life under ideal conditions in refrigeration
and that's from when its caught

the boats are out there many days or weeks ,,then goes to a wholesaler...then to a store or restaurant..

IQF solves many issues,,and again with food safety

Old 05-29-2017, 07:27 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
In my area, fresh caught ocean fish is flown in every day. It goes to a distributor and the distributor drives it around and delivers it to the high end restaurants.

Other than that, fish is frozen in individual servings. If you have a restaurant supply in your area, you can buy it that way. In the morning, the restaurant takes out as many servings as they think they will sell and places them in the refrigerator to thaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink