Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 05:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times

Advertisements

I made my outstanding guacamole tonight. I always give total credit to my husband's sister for this. When I married into the family, I was basically unfamiliar with avocados (this was the '70s, I was an East Coast girl, DH's family was all on the West Coast). S-I-L shared her recipe* and it has stood the test of 40+ years. Never met anyone who didn't like it, except people who inexplicably just don't like avocado.

So, I started thinking. What else do I do Better Than Most? Quick take:
* Tuna Tartare
* Seafood Boil
* Gumbo

All three of those are recipes that have evolved over the years, so the history is different than for guacamole. They've gotten better with tweaking and experimenting and substituting and just learning more about food and cooking techniques.

So . . . what are your top three or four Better Than Most Dishes?? I realize posting the recipes for all three or four could take a lot of time and space, so maybe reply with recipes if someone requests them?

*TERI's GUACAMOLE: two ripe Haas avocados mashed, medium tomato chopped fine, 2 T onion chopped fine, 1/4 tsp Lawry's Seasoned Salt, 1/2 T lime juice. Mix, refrigerate, bring to room temp, serve. Note there is no cilantro. I have an explicable hatred of cilantro -- it's in the genes. This is why you hate cilantro - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I'm not including sweets - Most requested and (probably) the best - Salmon with lemon Dill Sauce, Hungarian Stuffed Peppers, Potato Salad, vegetable lasagna with white or red sauce. German Cheddar beer soup.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:23 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
So . . . what are your top three or four Better Than Most Dishes??
1) A couple years ago, I got a Big Green Egg clone and started learning how to do low-and-slow, as well as other dishes. I saw a method for Turbo Butt (port shoulder) on the BGE forum, where it only takes about 6 hours to make pulled pork. It is now my go-to dish to take to family outings, etc.
2) Likewise, I saw a recipe for 50-hours wings. (50 hrs is for the marinade). Another outstanding dish.
3) Brisket. I am still working on this one. Sometimes, it comes out great. Others, not great, but still good.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I always get comments on my Irish soda bread, which is funny to me, as a more basic recipe would be hard to find. My Irish MIL actually requests it.

A walnut, pear, and gorgonzola pizza that I make usually impresses.

My husband is a fan of my spaghetti carbonara.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Guacamole, also...just as they did it at the table in New Mexico...salt, fresh garlic and lime.
I have been told it is the best they've had...thank you, Sante Fe.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:00 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
There are a few that stand out in a crowd or are often requested for me to bring to pot lucks: egg rolls, split pea soup and blue cheese dressing are the 3 that come to mind; next would be mac and cheese, made with 5 kinds of cheese.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:18 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,475,013 times
My three I feel I make that I am most proud of and feel can go toe to toe with anyone else's
1) my lamb stuffed grape leaves. I love making these. They disappear awfully fast when I make them.
2) pavlova-this is my one show stopper dessert. I get so many compliments when I make this. Always someone wants the recipe. The recipe reads so simple but there are tons of tricks to it. I can see people's eyes glaze over when I try to explain the tricks.
3) lamb ragu- I have been making this for years. I think I finally have it where I want it!

Old 05-31-2017, 08:31 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
Spaghetti meat sauce, shredded beef tacos, beef and mushroom stew, both lettuce and pasta salads and dressing.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Lasagna. I make killer lasagna. If I can get the noodles, I make earth shattering good gluten-free lasagna.

Gluten-free chocolate chip cookies. The wheat eaters will polish off the gluten-free cookies before they are reduced to eating the wheat ones that are all that is left. And my chocolate chip cookies made with wheat are pretty darn good.

Gluten-free pineapple upside down cake. Again, it disappears fast because the wheat eaters prefer it to any other desert that might be available.

When you know they are good: 2 women standing by the pot luck table nibbling my chocolate chip cookies and one turns to the other and says, "I can see my (own) chocolate chip cookies could use some work."

Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
Grilled salmon. Hubby refuses to eat it at restaurants because (according to him) it's never cooked as well as what he gets at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink