Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 04:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
this is the reason I don't eat at Chinese-owned establishments. they're bad here in the USA, but even WORSE in other less particular countries. bleahhhhh!
Yeah like in China. Everyone who goes there can't wait to find a McDonalds. And these aren't people who would eat at McDonalds normally.

Yes there are some great Chinese restaurants but the ones I find are very expensive. This is where I go for Peking duck but at $150.00 or more, its not often. Duck cost them $4.00 I was told. Guess it costs much more to keep a Chinese restaurant cleaner than normal expensive places. They only ones I will go to are in fancy hotels, they have US standards.

We have dirty dining segment on our news about once a week. Top offender is chinese, followed by mexican.
When the TV cameras are there, the don't know English (all of a sudden), so its not their fault, they are being set up.
Yeah leaving raw chicken out on the counter till its 70 degrees is someone else's fault. Never mind the cockroaches, and other issues. Some of these places have 4 offenses.
Don't eat near the strip, east of it. Where some of the offenders are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 05:47 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
To get good food, don't eat where there are tourist attractions where people will just be hungry or drunk and will eat whatever tastes eatable. Go to places that need to cook well to stay in business, if you can find those places. I hear food trucks are actually a good choice. Also, use tact if you need to complain about the food. Don't go with "this is terrible," but maybe try something along the lines of, "could you take a taste of this and tell me what you think? It's not like what I remember the last time," or if it's not too bad, just eat it and remember never to go back.

I have had bad food before, and I just ate it without asking questions. I paid for it in the form of sickness later, though, so that probably wasn't the best strategy.

Old 06-03-2017, 07:53 AM

404 posts, read 1,245,420 times
Yes, just a few months back at a Chinese restaurant - not the cleanest establishment so I always order takeaway. The chicken was frozen inside so we threw it out. As this was the 2nd time it had happened, my sister went in a few days later to order for her own family. She informed the manager who said the next time I came in he would comp the meal. I recently went back, the manager was not there but I did mention to his daughter what he had said (in the most polite manner) and added that I didn't expect a free meal but to please make certain that it was cooked all the way through. She became so belligerent, argumentative and hateful. The food is quite good but they are so careless - I actually smelled smoke once and saw the cook trying to extinguish high flames in the kitchen - it needs to be shut down.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Never.

But it reminds me of a story of when I was at work at a movie theater. This woman came and ordered Whoppers. You know, the chocolate candy with malt. She came back out of the theater and said that they were bad. So we gave her another box. She came back out of the theater again and said that they were bad. So we offered to let her get them from the candy dispensing machine where you can get as much as you want in a bag and just weigh it. She did. Then tried it right there...and said they were bad.
Two of us grabbed the candy and ate a piece. It was totally fine. We told her.

She said, "Oh! Is this what Whoppers are? I hate these!!" And ran off.

Smh.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:03 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
Never had this experience. Worst thing I've run into is some off-tasting iced tea.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Never had this experience. Worst thing I've run into is some off-tasting iced tea.
I have had owners/servers come to me and ask if I didn't like my meal and if they could bring me something else.
Never yelled at for not knowing what it was supposed to look like.

Old 06-03-2017, 09:52 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I just ordered a calamari salad and the calamari tasted like strong fish. While I don't think it was bad, I think they were using old oil to cook it. I sent it back.
This happened to me with a gorgeous piece of halibut I ordered at a restaurant. To increase their profit margin, I've had restaurants where they served mahi-mahi in place of halibut, hoping no one says anything. But this time, it was really halibut - cooked with rancid oil.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:10 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,219 times
Never. Is there such a thing as culinary hypochondria?

Old 06-03-2017, 10:27 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,188,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

But it reminds me of a story of when I was at work at a movie theater. This woman came and ordered Whoppers. You know, the chocolate candy with malt. She came back out of the theater and said that they were bad. So we gave her another box. She came back out of the theater again and said that they were bad. So we offered to let her get them from the candy dispensing machine where you can get as much as you want in a bag and just weigh it. She did. Then tried it right there...and said they were bad.
Two of us grabbed the candy and ate a piece. It was totally fine. We told her.

She said, "Oh! Is this what Whoppers are? I hate these!!" And ran off.
As long as they weren't those Whoppers that are chewy and not crunchy. Every box seems to have a few of those duds in them... In any event, she's probably the same type of patron who pays for one movie ticket and then sneaks from theatre to theatre seeing multiple movies.

Old 06-03-2017, 02:03 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,432,613 times
I did have a fish dish once and the first bite the fish tasted like household cleaner. I asked my friend to taste it and he agreed. I told the waiter, he apologized and asked if I wanted something else. I said no thanks. My friend finished his meal and we left. This was over 20 years ago and I don't remember if my meal was comped or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink