Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 06:22 PM

16,174 posts, read 32,335,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
That's considered "very pricey"? Do you live in a small town? Just curious.
I was just thinking the same thing. And, wondering what is up with the spelling and word selection.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
That's cheap IMO. My DH husband and I took our nephew out to a steak restaurant and it was just under $400. This included 3 appetizers,two 40 oz. rib eye steak and 1 8 oz. filet mignon 2 sides served family style . and DH and I each had two mixed drinks. and we each had dessert. Yes it was worth it to me.
I didn't say it was the most expensive on the planet. If you beat me.... I'm happy for you. To some extravagance has no boundaries. To me it's flat out nuts to spend that for a meal. 2- 40oz. rib eyes ........at least half that would have gone home in a doggie bag for my pooch. To me that's disgusting but opinions will vary. But then living in NY it might be 32.50 for a burger.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:54 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,649,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's a difference between expensive and overpriced. Something can be expensive and be worth the price. If something is overpriced, by definition it is not worth the price. So the premise of the thread (or at least the title) is flawed because it's contradictory.

It would have made more sense if it said "Is Any Expensive Restaurant Good Enuf [sic] To Be Worth It?"

And to answer that question ... yes, I've eaten in many expensive restaurants that I found to be worth the price I paid. But then again, "expensive" is relative.
Yes, exactly! Overpriced does mean that what you're getting is not worth it. Expensive is a whole other issue. I would never eat somewhere that I thought was overpriced, but I have no problem eating at expensive restaurants that have wonderful food and a wonderful ambience. One of my all time favorite places to eat is https://rivercafe.com. The food is perfect and so is the view and the service. Well worth the money and definitely not "overpriced" at all.

There are many other wonderful restaurants that are also well worth the price, although they are quite expensive.

Some are well worth the price.

Le Cirque - excellent IMO

Per Se - not worth it to me and I do think it's overpriced for that reason - https://www.thomaskeller.com/new-yor...e/todays-menus

And then there are also private clubs that are just over the top amazing, such as https://www.duquesne.org

Red Lobster? LOL - I don't mean to be rude, but that cracks me up.

To each his own.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:56 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,193,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I was just thinking the same thing. And, wondering what is up with the spelling and word selection.
I expected the OP was from another country.

I live with a foodie but a cheap-azz foodie. His idea of a great place to eat is an all-you-can-eat buffet for under $15 where the cattle graze. *gag*

I'm not a foodie and could live on cold cereal with no problem. I don't like going out to eat and get food that I could fix at home myself for a whole lot less. (and eat in my jammies, if I choose)

Having said that, there are some phenomenal restaurants with amazing food that I love to visit. Good service (and they wash the dishes). Worth every penny except for the complaining that I have to listen to from the other half. He can't NOT talk about how much something costs. never Totally ruins it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:02 PM

48,272 posts, read 34,402,478 times
Over priced doesn't mean it's good or a good value - so no, I'm not going somewhere just because it costs a lot.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-08-2017, 08:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I expected the OP was from another country.

I live with a foodie but a cheap-azz foodie. His idea of a great place to eat is an all-you-can-eat buffet for under $15 where the cattle graze. *gag*

I'm not a foodie and could live on cold cereal with no problem. I don't like going out to eat and get food that I could fix at home myself for a whole lot less. (and eat in my jammies, if I choose)

Having said that, there are some phenomenal restaurants with amazing food that I love to visit. Good service (and they wash the dishes). Worth every penny except for the complaining that I have to listen to from the other half. He can't NOT talk about how much something costs. never Totally ruins it.
To my father service alone was usually worth the cost of eating out. He despised cafeterias. He always said if you're going to eat out you want to be waited on, not serving yourself. There weren't the crazy astronomical gastronomical choices we have today. We have our favorite restaurants. They don't serve finely finessed cuisine like the really high dollar joints but it's good enough. We all like to cook in my family and we're not bad at it. I'm sure there are many places that serve at least one thing on their menus which we'd find out of this world. The price to experiment with them all is too steep for some of us that aren't that adventurous or hard to please. Some find it the highlight of their life or entertainment and that's fine if they can afford it.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:28 PM

939 posts, read 780,857 times
If push came to shove, I'd rather have it overpriced due to smaller amounts as opposed to quality.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:47 PM

459 posts, read 1,739,137 times
Only one time has it felt worth it, and that was on our recent vacation to Las Vegas

We ate at Picasso at the Bellagio. I believe at one point this was a 2 michelin starred restaurant, before they stopped ranking Vegas restaurants.

Four course meal for me and hubster with a bottle of wine, one cocktail & two dessert drinks after tip was around $550. They included a pre-appetizer and a second dessert course at no charge.

In hindsight, was pretty glad we did it instead of going to a show. After show + dinner, we would have probably spent about the same.

But dinner was a show in itself. The quality of the ingredients and how they were prepared was outstanding. We had a spot on the patio so inbetween courses we got a show of the Bellagio fountains right in front of us.

Probably only time I have felt it was well worth the spend.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:32 PM

6,439 posts, read 6,867,397 times
Food and travel are my two big expenses. I make a very good income but funds are not unlimited. But a $60 lunch for two or a $140 dinner for two (with everything, including a generous tip) is something my wife and I do all the time.

We economize by driving good used cars, living in a well below average priced house in a nice neighborhood, have very limited clothing and shoes costs, and the kids are grown and out of the house.

Alinea-type dinners, which cost $300 and you leave hungry, are a ridiculous waste of money and time and we don't go there.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:42 PM

5,431 posts, read 6,057,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
by definition any place that is overpriced is not worth it. But on the flip side there are places like Masa in NYC where you will pay a min of $450/person for sushi and they have no problem filling the restaurant. So that and many other places are pretty expensive but I doubt any of the people that can afford to eat there would call it overpriced
^^^ I was just about to say this. If something is "overpriced" then it is not worth it. That is not to say that an expensive restaurant is not worth it. If you get what you paid for in terms of quality, service, quantity, and other aspects of the expereince then the reastaurant is not "over"priced.

I have paid $20/person for a meal that I thought was a ripoff. I've also had meals in which we have paid $100/person and thought they were well worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink