Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 AM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times

Advertisements

I tried to make yogurt last night. I kept it in the oven with light turned on all the time. After 22 hours, it's still quiet thin (like semi-solid state), and very sour, not tasty at all, and has tiny grainy lumps. It's not successful, but how can I know if it's safe to eat (to be used for cooking)?

General question is, when would the failed home-made yogurt unsafe to eat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 01:36 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Probably safe just not tasty.

Why did it fail? I don't use oven. Just get milk, add little yogurt, stir gently, and leave on the counter overnight. Next morning you have a delicious yogurt...

Old 06-10-2017, 04:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,718,094 times
I had a failed batch recently (let my daughter be in charge of the thermometer). It smelled horrible and I threw it out. The cost of the ingredients is less than the cost if one of us got sick and had to go to the doctor.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
If it doesn't smell bad it should be just fine, but I doubt it is going to taste very good. I wouldn't be concerned about getting sick, most worry too much about eating bad food. I worry more about it tasting awful. This comes from knowing how we lived and ate 60 plus years ago. I often wonder how many things we ate that would be ground up in the garbage disposal today? I will add, if yo really are concerned toss it.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:03 AM

126,105 posts, read 18,854,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I tried to make yogurt last night. I kept it in the oven with light turned on all the time. After 22 hours, it's still quiet thin (like semi-solid state), and very sour, not tasty at all, and has tiny grainy lumps. It's not successful, but how can I know if it's safe to eat (to be used for cooking)?

General question is, when would the failed home-made yogurt unsafe to eat?
snowmountains as others mentioned it may not taste great.
May I ask what type of milk you used? I am asking because only once I used Lactantia PūrFiltre Milk and noticed the next morning my yogurt was still liquid. I am making yogurt over 33 years and that was the only time my yogurt stayed liquid. Unless you added the spoonful of yogurt while the yogurt was too hot and not lukewarm temperature.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:29 AM

7,552 posts, read 8,584,456 times
I used Organic Valley's organic grass-fed whole milk.

The thing is, when the yogurt failed, how can I know if the temperature was too high or too low (what's the difference in the resulting yogurt?)? (Disclosure: I didn't use thermometer. I never do, but did have success in the past) The oven light bulb was 60W, maybe too hot?

(It smells just really sour, no spoiled smell, so I plan to use it for cooking. Could I bake cookies with it?)

Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM

126,105 posts, read 18,854,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I used Organic Valley's organic grass-fed whole milk.

The thing is, when the yogurt failed, how can I know if the temperature was too high or too low (what's the difference in the resulting yogurt?)? (Disclosure: I didn't use thermometer. I never do, but did have success in the past) The oven light bulb was 60W, maybe too hot?

(It smells just really sour, no spoiled smell, so I plan to use it for cooking. Could I bake cookies with it?)
After the milk boiled I let it sit for 2 hours or so and check with my inside part of the arms if the pot is lukewarm. I never used a thermostat.

After that one incident that my milk stayed sour and liquid I used it as well for the drink called lassi. Half water/half the yogurt. It tasted okay but not like the original lassi drink.

I never tried it but I think you can use that liquid yogurt for baking biscuits ( after all some require buttermilk in their recipes) or you can use it in making naan or for a salad dressing.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:35 AM

6,403 posts, read 7,600,115 times
Organic Valley milk is very good so that shouldn't be the issue as long as it was fresh. It sounds to me, and like others said, that it is a temperature problem. I've been making yogurt for many years and once in while the stars just don't align.

I also rely on the skin test to determine the milk's temperature before adding the yogurt, then give it a gentle stir. I like to wrap my warm jar in towel fresh from the dryer and usually in 6-8 hours it is done. Yogurt that is left for too long will also become too sour for my family so do not let ferment more than necessary. Try using different kinds of milk for variety.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:07 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
When I showed up at college a million years ago, my new roommate had a yogurt maker. We used it constantly and as flakey as we were (I was 17 at the time) we weren't poisoned.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:16 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,537 times
I thought sour milk = buttermilk, lumpy buttermilk = yogurt? I guess maybe I skipped a few steps?

Anyway, I don't think sour milk is unsafe to drink, so the failed "yogurt" should be okay, depending on what cultures started growing in it. It's not uncommon to have lumps in a glass of milk that has been sitting out for only a few hours, though, and that's definitely not enough time for it to ruin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink