Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

I guess if you're only looking for 'cons' on stand mixers, then you only want to hear the bad parts? They're expensive and heavy, I guess could be cons. But if you don't move them, then heavy doesn't matter. We get ours at yard sales, so they aren't even that expensive, either. Just got a another green one yesterday. Woot! Old Kitchen Aid made by Hobart so it's vintage, too.

I'm not even sure how many stand mixers I have, at least a half dozen, maybe more. At the moment there's two of them in the kitchen, but I may put one of them down into storage. Might take a few of the ones in storage and sell them sometimes soon. Most of them need a bit of refurbishment, but that's mostly greasing and maybe new brushes. Most of them are older machines. The twp currently in the kitchen are both old ones made by Hobart which is who was making them before Kitchen Aid got involved. They're sturdier than the new ones, IMHO. In any case, old or new, I'd really hate to be without a stand mixer. I cook a lot and the stand mixer is just so much easier than a hand mixer or by hand.

Bread is baked once a week and the mixer is used for the two to three loaves made. The flat paddle and the dough hook are great. I can get really nice chewy crusts with the stand mixer when I want artisan bread and I'd hate to knead it that much by hand.

Mayonnaise is made with them using the balloon whisk. That happens about every ten days or two weeks. The stand mixer is also used for whipped potatoes (such as we had last night), noodles with the attached noodle maker, sausage is ground up with the attached grinder sometimes. Cakes, pancake batter, etc. It's perfect for waffles since that involved whipping egg whites til they stand on their own and then folding that into the rest of the batter. Since each stand mixer has multiple bowls, that's an easy process.

Clean up is easy, the bowls are washed, the beaters are washed and it has the no-spill ring (the old style is just one white plastic ring and not the clear two part plastic of the newer models) so there's no spilled things to clean up.

We don't have a hand mixer and about the only things mixed by hand is pie crust and that's because I don't want it over mixed. Other than the microwave and toaster, I'd guess the stand mixer is the next most used appliance in our kitchen. Well, unless you count the refrigerator, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 10:27 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
For me it depends on my mood, my health and what is being prepared.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
For mixing, do you prefer using your hands, or a hand mixer, or a stand mixer? Are there any issues with hand mixer or stand mixer that make you to prefer just using your hands?
Have both.
Never use the stand.
Hand mixer all the way.
Also easier to clean.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I've always had a hand mixer because I don't use a mixer that often and I don't want something sitting out on the counter taking up space. I've had two in my life--the better one had heavier, more durable blades and it was easier to eject the blades when you were done. Make sure the controls are comfortable for you too. That's about it for recommendations.

The other item I use a lot (almost every day) is a Vitamix. It's a combination of a blender and a food processor.

Well, I also use a regular old fashioned egg beater if I'm literally just beating eggs or something like pancake mix. It gets regular use and you can just throw the entire thing into the dishwasher. No plug, no electrical.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:43 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
This is a problem with stand mixers. If you don't have a lot of counter space you may not keep it on the counter and if you don't, you likely won't use it. We don't have a lot of counter space but we have every kitchen machine known to mankind. We do have a roll around island and another fold away table for preparations.

We have many food processors and juicers etc. that don't get used because they're tucked away.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:01 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Small kitchen, one countertop area about 3' long not in use so it houses my Kitchen Aide Pro stand mixer. Waited a long time to get it & love it more each time I use it which I use it a lot. I paid a lot of money so it stays loud & proud sitting on the counter instead of shoved into a cabinet or closet.

Mix up triple batches of cookie dough
Mix up egg noodle dough, let it rest covered in plastic wrap then use the noodle attachment to roll & cut them
Meatloaf
Bread
Mashed potatoes (or whipped if that is what you call them in your area)
Cheesecakes~ no way could I cream 5 bricks of cream cheese by hand or using a hand mixer
Make sausage
Put cooked boneless chicken, beef or pork have shredded meat in about 30 seconds.
Triple batch of peanut butter balls

Cakes & brownies I use my hand mixer.

Cons of the stand mixer:
Waited to long to buy one
It is heavy

Pros:
Able to mix large batches
Cleans up easily
Can pass it down to my kids or grandkids

Old 06-12-2017, 12:43 AM

7,633 posts, read 8,699,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Can pass it down to my kids or grandkids
For them to auction at Antique shows?

How noisy/loud are the hand/stand mixers? ---comparing to food processors, which are noisier?

Old 06-12-2017, 12:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Only real con is the space it takes up.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:50 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Food processors are noisier in most cases. The reason the Kitchen-Aid is noisy because of it's planetary gears and a drive for grinding or other optional accessories. It's not that noisy.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:01 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
For them to auction at Antique shows?

How noisy/loud are the hand/stand mixers? ---comparing to food processors, which are noisier?
If they auction it off it is theirs to do so I reckon at that point but they both are fussing who gets it.

I think the stand mixer is quieter than both a hand mixer and food processor. I know there is less cleaning up with the stand mixer over a food processor too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink