Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 05:42 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,690,117 times

Advertisements

I avoid Walmart like the plague. I did go in for the first time in forever on Mother's Day because my mom had picked out a bike as her gift and they were the only brick and mortar store that sold it. Ordering it online would mean self assembly. I could do it. She could do it. But why when you can buy it assembled for less at Walmart.
I was smart though- I ordered it online so I only had to go to the pickup counter and not stand in line.

I shop at a local chain (Meijer) that has grocery and other retail (a super center I suppose) like Walmart or Super Target. Except this chain has been doing it since the 60s. Well before Walmart tried it. I supplement at Kroger or a farmer's market. When I lived in North Carolina, I favored Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods, even though I had to pass two Food Lions to get there. I liked the Super Target but I had to deal with way more traffic to go there, so it was a rarity. I did go to Walmart about once a month since they were so much cheaper for paper products and toiletries than the grocery stores.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:52 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,381,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do most people shop at Walmart for their groceries in the US? ....
Not us. I maybe go to Walmart once a month or so and mostly because my cat loves a brand of cat food only sold there. They do generally have low prices on food but it is certainly an ordeal to shop in one.

Most of the time I shop at regional grocery stores such as Publix, Harris Teeter, Earth Fare and some local farmers markets.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,890,865 times
Within a five minute drive, I have six grocery stores. Within a 10 minute drive, eight grocery stores.

Add another five minutes and there are five more, two of them being Walmarts and one Sam's Club.

Out of the 13, my main shopping is done at three of the closest. I buy coffee, a national well-known brand, at Walmart because it's the cheapest. I wouldn't make a special trip to garner the savings but when I go there I stock up so I am saving significantly. I also buy some paper products at Walmart because I can stock up on these items - they have an infinite shelf-life.

While it's almost embarrassing to admit to having 13 grocery stores so close to my home, it reaches ridiculous when you factor in all of the dollar=type stores that have food sections; all the convenient marts and pharmacies and stores like K Mart and Kohl's which aren't exactly grocery stores but do have fair-sized grocery sections.

I'm not familiar with any of the markets in the U.K. so I can't make any comparisons, but if the anti-Walmart crowd is telling the truth, not everybody shops for food at Walmart.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:17 PM

48,277 posts, read 34,402,478 times
The farthest store is my main one and it is the military commissary, but I do not buy meat there (low quality), next is Cost-co (buy prime meat there, and fruits/veggies), Farmer's markets, walMart (buy cleaners and some food while i'm there). I fill in with hard to find food (black fungus, indian food, etc.) at the Safeway which is closest to my house. For more gourmet items (no Whole Foods on my half of the island) I go to Foodland which house R. Field Wine Company, and the health food store for grains, tempeh, probiotic drinks, weird spices, etc.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-14-2017, 08:02 PM

939 posts, read 780,857 times
I go there for mainly for brushpicks and toothpaste, sometimes paper towels depending if I'm in the area, as with all of the following:

Peanut butter - low oil/salt (Skippy?)

Meats - hardly ever.

Produce - if I'm in there for something else, I may stop by.

Haagen Dazs Ice cream or creamsicles...why not?

Old 06-14-2017, 08:10 PM

19,957 posts, read 30,001,004 times
walmart sells more groceries than any other chain in the u s

im not a fan,,,,dont like the huge parking lots and huge store

dont buy meat at walmart nothing is cut fresh on site and burger is shipped in from across country

Old 06-14-2017, 08:14 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,668,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California_Aspirer View Post
Do most people shop at Walmart for their groceries in the US? I was interested to know this as I'm from UK and always hear Walmart as the main store for food shopping. If anyone is familiar with UK food stores, where would you place Walmart in regards to comparison to stores such as Sainsburys, Asda (which I belive was owned by Walmart) Waitrose, Tesco, Morrison's? I am presuming states like California are more wholefood stores and therefore more expensive to grocery shop, though again I'm not sure on that so correct me if i'm wrong
LOL, NO!!!

We used to live by a nice new Walmart and I would by all my box and can food stuff from there, but never my meat or produce as it never looked good anyway. We have since moved and the Walmart by us now doesn't have food and it's just horrible besides! I like Target over Walmart any way! For groceries though I shop at either Meijer or Jewel and I buy all my meat at the local butchers market!

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

16,344 posts, read 12,301,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
While it's almost embarrassing to admit to having 13 grocery stores so close to my home, it reaches ridiculous when you factor in all of the dollar=type stores that have food sections; all the convenient marts and pharmacies and stores like K Mart and Kohl's which aren't exactly grocery stores but do have fair-sized grocery sections.
Your Kohls has groceries??

Old 06-14-2017, 08:15 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,135,415 times
I usually shop at Kroger. I find their prices usually lower and quality superior compared to Walmart (overall). If I had the time I'd go to 3-5 different chains to get the best grocery selection for the best price.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:21 PM

560 posts, read 535,616 times
i always try to avoid walmart-there's two within 5-8 miles from me. One of which is across from costco, and i far prefer to go into costco to buy the seasonal items like winter jackets for my kids, boots, kids books, and their paper products still far better. I'm quite spoiled by my choices of grcoery stores near me; wegmans (my to go regular store) shoprite ( i shop there for some brand specific items) and market basket once in a while. Between those 3 places and my every other month run to costco set me up well. Mind you, there will be a new whole food store opening up 6 miles from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink