Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 09:05 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,547 times

Advertisements

I haven't had one for years now, and I'm fine without it. The only thing that's inconvenient is not having it to melt butter. But I rarely melt butter anyway, so I still prefer to heat or cook things the old-fashioned way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 09:26 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
To reheat leftovers, cook frozen veggies (rarely eat frozen though), heat water for tea. I HATE meat reheated in the microwave, I find it disgusting.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-15-2017, 09:54 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,939,609 times
Only for heating frozen foods and rice.

I barely use it for reheating soups, stews and the likes. I prefer stove tops, as they usually end up insipid when reheated on microwaves.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
You seem to be fishing for others to validate your dislike for microwave ovens when in fact most of us use them everyday.
minute Oatmeal, reheat coffee, melting butter, reheat leftovers, soften bread, steam bag veggies, microwave burritos, boil water quickly, hot chocolate, popcorn, etc.

No,I'm not fishing. I'm not saying they don't have a niche. Just that I see more cons than pros, personally. Considering they have become ubiquitous to most households.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:29 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times
I don't think most folks like how they "cook". Though they do make special products made to be "cooked" in them these days. I think most of us use them for warming coffee and other things. Melting cheese dishes and such. Texture is the problem when microwaving something. Special prepared items that you want crisp or browned will come with a special sleeve or container. Like other appliances they have their uses.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:46 PM

905 posts, read 1,101,873 times
Only to reheat leftovers, or some quick microwave burritos for those super busy/don't want to cook or go out days.

I don't think anyone will vouch for the microwave as the tastiest of cooking methods, but they're definitely convenient/have their uses.

Leftover food that I will still go out of my way to reheat on the stove - Soups/stews

Old 06-15-2017, 11:55 PM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Exactly. I use mine just to reheat or do simple things like melt cheese on chili dogs. Sometimes I'll use the defrost setting to bring butter or eggs to room temperature quickly. It has it's uses.
It warms and melts things beautifully.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:03 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It warms and melts things beautifully.

Yes, they are quite good for melting/softening things and I do like the popcorn option. They just won't however , special wrappers or no, turn out anything that is intended to have a crispy , crunchy texture. For reheating hot beverages and making popcorn they are hard to beat. Stovetop popcorn is a pain. Microwaves make popcorn a no fuss no muss endeavor. And I do like popcorn. They also are quite convenient for melting cheese.

I may wind up with a smallish one eventually, but I've lived as much of my life without one as with. When I was married and we had kids I have to say having one was necessary. Speed and convenience was more important than anything else when a small one is doing the baby bird thing and your really busy at the time with dinner a couple hours off.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM

126,262 posts, read 19,028,275 times
I never owned a microwave.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:10 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
No,I'm not fishing. I'm not saying they don't have a niche. Just that I see more cons than pros, personally. Considering they have become ubiquitous to most households.
I can't think of any cons. I suppose if you have one and don't use it, it's just taking up space, so that's a con. Or if someone becomes lazy and lives on microwaved frozen meals, but that's their own fault, not the fault of the device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink