Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 12:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I tried your recipe this weekend.. Got good reviews.

I made some mistakes, and now that I have the basics.. Am going to try to refine it a little bit. I made the mistake of having too many peanuts in the cooker so I didn't get things cooked well (evenly.. those at the top were a tad underdone).. Plus, I added the salt at the end, and it didn't mix in well.. So.. Lessons learned, will do better next time.

But.. I have a few ideas I want to try.. The first of which will be using Old Bay in place of the salt.

That could be the most amazing thing ever, or an epic fail.. but.. Won't know until I try.
You know how those "first attempts" can go.

A few tips...
  1. Make sure you don't use iodized salt, as it will make the peanuts bitter (I use Kosher salt)
  2. Add the salt/seasonings up front
  3. Salt the water until it tastes like seawater (some say 1 cup salt per gal water)
  4. Make sure the peanuts boil on "High" for at least an hour before reducing to "Low"
  5. Make sure the peanuts will have room to submerge when they are cooked
  6. Make sure the water level doesn't get low

There really aren't many places to go wrong. After all, we're just cooking peanuts. For me, the peanuts are "done" when they have the consistency of a canned pinto bean. If, after cooking on "Low" overnight, the peanuts still aren't done, just return to "High" and continue until they are cooked to your preference.

Use fresh "green" peanuts, if available. They cook in about four hours. However, they can get too soft and mushy if you aren't careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 01:32 PM

17,585 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Yeah.. What I meant by adding salt at the end was that I put the peanuts in, put the water in, then poured in the salt, mixing as best I could.. With the overload of peanuts.. That didn't work well. I wasn't QUITE so dumb to try to salt them after they were done cooking..

I'm really excited to try the Old Bay.. Like I said.. I think that will either be the best or worst thing ever.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:36 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
...What I meant by adding salt at the end was that I put the peanuts in, put the water in, then poured in the salt, mixing as best I could...
That's how I do it. The heat and boiling dissolves and mixes the salt throughout the pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink