Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 11:19 AM

905 posts, read 1,103,020 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So, I recently picked up some mason jars, and have definitely been having fun with them already - primarily for short term storage of homemade salsa/sauce/dressing, but also for pickled goods (Batch 1 was taqueria style hot pickled carrots/jalapenos). While I mainly plan to continue using them for this purpose (with homemade hot sauce and dill pickles as my next projects), I'm thinking of getting into some other homemade foods where food safety may be more of a concern (Jams, other less acidic foods).

From what I've gathered, the vinegar and salt content of things like pickled vegetables, and hot sauces will act as natural preservatives for longer term use/storage, and the issue is moot for things consumed in the short term (salsa definitely doesn't last long ), but that for things like jams, tomato sauces, or other lower acid content/fresh foods, you should invest in a pressure cooker/canner to avoid the risk of botulism.

I guess my main question is if I can get away without investing in a pressure cooker for the acidic foods like pickles and hot sauce? I wouldn't mind investing in one later on, but I don't plan on canning things like meat or non-pickled vegetables anytime soon, and real estate in my kitchen/cabinets is already scarce at the moment, so I'd rather avoid it for now if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
Hey all,

So, I recently picked up some mason jars, and have definitely been having fun with them already - primarily for short term storage of homemade salsa/sauce/dressing, but also for pickled goods (Batch 1 was taqueria style hot pickled carrots/jalapenos). While I mainly plan to continue using them for this purpose (with homemade hot sauce and dill pickles as my next projects), I'm thinking of getting into some other homemade foods where food safety may be more of a concern (Jams, other less acidic foods).

From what I've gathered, the vinegar and salt content of things like pickled vegetables, and hot sauces will act as natural preservatives for longer term use/storage, and the issue is moot for things consumed in the short term (salsa definitely doesn't last long ), but that for things like jams, tomato sauces, or other lower acid content/fresh foods, you should invest in a pressure cooker/canner to avoid the risk of botulism.

I guess my main question is if I can get away without investing in a pressure cooker for the acidic foods like pickles and hot sauce? I wouldn't mind investing in one later on, but I don't plan on canning things like meat or non-pickled vegetables anytime soon, and real estate in my kitchen/cabinets is already scarce at the moment, so I'd rather avoid it for now if possible.

Thanks in advance!
While you are waiting on a response, here is a great thread for you to peruse on canning.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Well, we make sauerkraut in a specialized crock, and plan to make pickles too. We don't use a pressure cooker, just the crock. It ages wonderfully if the temp in the room is kept correctly....

Old 06-18-2017, 01:54 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
I don't use a pressure canner for my tomatoes (I just cut them in half, roast them, put them in jars and into boiling water) or for dilly beans, pickles or jams/jelly. Somethings I just quick pickle things like red onions, radishes and jalapeños in a jar in the fridge since they get devoured in a couple days.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
A canning pressure cooker is a great investment, if you plan on doing this for a while!

Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
This is my method,a big canning pot with removable rack ,
A recipe worth what it takes to grow… « Lauren Groveman: Strengthening Lives through Cooking and Life Coaching

Old 06-19-2017, 02:58 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Well, we make sauerkraut in a specialized crock, and plan to make pickles too. We don't use a pressure cooker, just the crock. It ages wonderfully if the temp in the room is kept correctly....
I also use a specialized fermentation crock for sauerkraut and pickles. They taste so much better than store-bought.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:02 PM

622 posts, read 396,087 times
You can can most things safely in a hot water bath rather than a pressure cooker but it takes a lot longer. As for the acidity, you can always add a little lemon juice or vinegar to the liquid portion of whatever you are canning to compensate as needed.

Old 06-20-2017, 09:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Unless you plan on canning a heck of a lot of stuff that has to be pressure cooker prepared I would forget investing in one right now. My older daughter and I and now her daughters do a lot of canning in the summer We purchased a pressure cooker several years ago and ended up selling it at a garage sale for 90% less than we paid for it.

Here are the things we can every year: jams and jellies, mostly jam; marmalade, some fruits, beets, tomatoes, tomato sauce, several kinds of pickles, dozens of jars of salsa, including pineapple/jalapeno, and okra. As long as you use vinegar or lemon juice there is no reason to worry about spoilage. Fresh fruits do not need the vinegar at all. If after 2 or 3 years on canning, if you want to spread out, yes, then would be the time for a pressure cooker, but there just are not that many things to use it for, in my opinion.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and okra. As long as you use vinegar or lemon juice there is no reason to worry about spoilage.
Do you do okra without a pressure cooker? I have always heard it is necessary for okra.
National Center for Home Food Preservation | How Do I? Can Vegetables
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink