Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 04:45 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,652,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I only use top round steaks to make pasties.
How do you get them to stay on? Do you add sequins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 04:53 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,167,066 times
I use Top Round for jerky. Not much fat, which is why it has no real flavor on it's own, but is perfect for jerky.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:13 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,530,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
How do you get them to stay on? Do you add sequins?
Very funny.
Cornish "past--ees".

Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times
My favorite steak used to be Porterhouse or Sirloin. Then I discovered a relatively unknown cut called Chuck Eye. Hands down, the most flavorful steak for grilling I have ever found. Incredibly tender and easy to cook just right. They do,tend to be a bit smaller than what some of are used to, so buy two if you can find them!

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Steaks are all good it all depends on quality and how it's cooked.

There are many ways to cook hanger, skirt, or flank, or flatiron stead that taste more flavorful than normal fatty steaks.

Lately I prefer short ribs, grilled.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:39 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
A hanger steak "hangs" between tenderloin & ribs...it is a tender steak.

These others are very flavorful but tough, they are the bottom of the steer carcass. (Except the shanks, which are top of legs.)

The flank is located below the loin...toward the rear of carcass. It has no bones, and is very flavorful but also very tough. I use for chili, marinate, grill, then cut up & cook slow.

In front of the flank is the plate area (the middle of bottom) It’s fattier. Beef from the short plate are often used for fajitas, pastrami, skirt steak, Philadelphia steak and short ribs. The skirt steak is the diaphragm--very flavorful, very chewy....I cook on grill after marinating & slice on angle against grain for fajitas.

In front of the plate is the brisket (toward the front--the bottom of breast).... perfect for bbq, marinate, then slow smoke.
Thank you

Old 06-22-2017, 09:43 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Steaks are all good it all depends on quality and how it's cooked.

There are many ways to cook hanger, skirt, or flank, or flatiron stead that taste more flavorful than normal fatty steaks.

Lately I prefer short ribs, grilled.
Do you do anything special to make sure they come out tender?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:15 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,530,764 times
Ribeyes cooked to perfection on a Green Mountain pellet grill. These things are "grilling for dummies" magic devices.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:21 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
Those who put photos here are making me salivate at thought of my favorites.....mmm

When I ate more beef (traveling and eating out) I preferred Porterhouse about 5/8 inch thick and cooked medium to medium well done. Even then it wasn't as prevalent as other cuts. I don't have as much beef in my diet but still indulge.
Porterhouse
NY Strip /KC Strip
Rib Eye
Filet

So much of it is how the respective cuts are cooked / marinated and seasoned.

Some of the best beef I've ever tasted were lesser cuts with long slow cooking and a great mix of marinade / seasoning as it becomes imbued within the beef and is so delicious.

As for top round my recollection is this being best for roasting. One of my favorite memories in formative years was my mom buying a few big cuts to roast and then cooking in that big black oval shaped dome roasting pan in the oven and how wonderful the essence of the smell became by time it was done. Then 'snitching' bits as I could while cooling a bit and before she took them out and wrapped for future meals / sandwiches.

Always preferred the ends which absorbed more of the seasoning via the end grain. I always wanted those slices! I would imagine the only way a steak cut would be good is lengthy marinade time and roasting some other items with it to create additional juice like onions of different types.

Thanks for making me hungry and tickling the synapses of pleasant memories of youth.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:38 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
For a salad I would use a good prime tri tip. I love rib eyes and such, but I like the fat and stuff only on super hot steaks. For a salad I would like the leaner cut.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink