Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:13 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times

Advertisements

One of my childhood memories is how wonderfully that Velveeta cheese melted for grilled cheese sandwiches at a moment's notice. Of course natural cheese is great, but sometimes there is a time and place for things we turn up our noses at.

Just a true funny Velveeta story for you all:

I'm a wildlife biologist by profession and once worked on a research project out on the Aleutians for 6 months, living in tents, cooking on a camp stove, hauling water 1/2 mile, spending 18 hour days counting birds in the middle of nowhere. A small plane brought us fresh supplies about twice a month, and the office provisioner was great about sending good quality food sourced through a mail order grocery. There was only one tiny grocery in the village but he still managed to pamper us. One time the only cheese he could get was a huge block of Velveeta Jalopeno pepper. Probably because no one else in the village would buy it. Anyway, after we got over our sense of entitlement and insult, we had no choice but to eat it, as the weather closed all flights down and we were running out of everything. One day when the rain was horizontal and the howling gale force wind threatened to collapse our cook tent, we were huddled around a kerosene heater miserable and hungry. That Velveeta and some canned tuna and some soon-to-get-moldy bread was our meal option. We found out that toasted Velveeta Jalopeno, tuna and stale bread sandwiches marginally heated on a Coleman stove were incredibly delicious. So much so we all wrote down our recipes for posterity. (I still have it somewhere and it always makes me smile).

Amazing how a bit of hunger and humility can provide the best sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Really? Hating on Velveeta? I love the stuff but I don't eat it often. Here are some great things to do with it.

1) Grilled Cheese(first on the list!)
2) Cheese Dip
3) Mac and Cheese
4) Cheese sauce over broccoli or cauliflower

Is it healthy? No.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Cheeseburgers.
One of the best cheeseburgers in the country is made with a generous slice of Velveeta.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:44 PM

811 posts, read 1,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Cheeseburgers.
One of the best cheeseburgers in the country is made with a generous slice of Velveeta.
Yep!! ^^ Or just melt it on a piece of toast and enjoy it in its naked glory. I heart Velveeta. Plastic? Sure. Creamy, salty goodness? Definitely!

Old 07-01-2017, 01:54 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,246,607 times
I'd use it to make a Juicy Lucy.

That's where you take two burger patties and shape one into a bowl.
Fill it with the Velveeta, then use the other patty to seal the cheese inside. Season and grill.

When you bite into it, the cheese will flow out like delicious golden magma.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:21 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,728,060 times
Grilled cheese sandwiches & hamburgers. That's basically it!

Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Leave them at the store in the refrigerator case?

Old 07-01-2017, 03:27 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Make nacho cheese dip or mac-n-cheese as someone suggested. I don't care for the stuff generally but those are it's common uses. I wouldn't use in grilled cheese sandwiches...American slices are far better.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:26 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,587,804 times
Those cheese melt blocks make wonderful grilled cheese sandwiches, mac n cheese, Potato cheese soup, Cheesy broccoli and rice. I have found it to be pretty versatile and for some thing it makes a better end result than "real" cheeses do.

Organic Valley is the Aldi's brand of of organic milk. There is nothing wrong with it.

If you don't want the stuff why not give it to someone who could use it instead of throwing it away?

Old 07-01-2017, 04:44 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Leave them at the store in the refrigerator case?
NOOOOOOO! ;D Can you imagine the panic that would ensue if you brought groceries into the store and left them? So then someone takes it off the shelf and attempts to buy it, and it doesn't scan. So the checker calls for management back up and they realize the store didn't stock that item; a customer brought it in and left it for sale.

I think the store would shut down, literally - until an investigation could determine how a foreign item ended up for sale in their store.

I post this, because I actually thought of doing that with some plain yogurt I was given and I can't stand plain yogurt but hated to see food go to waste. But in rethinking, it didn't seem like a good idea. ;D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink